Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Best Economy Air Service That Has "Aloha Spirit"? [and HA's Mai Tais]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I searched and read a thread by slippahs from about 3 years ago, and another one...but both were either pretty old or mainly addressed First Class and not Economy. So here I am with this question:

Who's got the best Economy Class flights to HNL that have at least some Aloha Spirit to them? Things like music, or Mai Tais, or island specialties on the menu, or even FAs with Aloha uniforms. That sort of thing.

I've got some acquaintances that are headed over next year, and they are asking me this question. They want a little lead-in to the islands while they're still in the air.

I know United has the Trader Vic's promotion going on, but that mainly effects First Class (although they do have Mai Tais in Economy too). And I know first-hand that on most of the other legacy carriers, their flights are like any other with virtually no Aloha onboard. So I may be talking about Hawaiian Airlines and Aloha Airlines here...in addition to United.

So can anyone opinion on Aloha or Hawaiian (or any others) that might be good for them in Economy (Mai Tais are the minimum "must")?

Mileage/status/upgrades not part of the equation. These are basically first-time/one-time tourist flyers.

Mahalo!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by PremEx
I searched and read a thread by slippahs from about 3 years ago, and another one...but both were either pretty old or mainly addressed First Class and not Economy. So here I am with this question:
I rarely get quoted in a post, but thank you. I believe you found one of my earlier post. I must've been pretty naive back then.
Who's got the best Economy Class flights to HNL that have at least some Aloha Spirit to them? Things like music, or Mai Tais, or island specialties on the menu, or even FAs with Aloha uniforms. That sort of thing.
AFAIK: NW/CO both offer Mai Tais on their departures to/from their Hawaiian destination only in First. Aloha did have comp. mai tais in Y awhile back, but I believe that's since been pulled. Of course, Aloha/Hawaiian FAs wear Hawaiian-type apparel as their uniform. Continental shows a video on their PTVs prior to departure of the Mainland city of a bunch of Hawaii sights with Hawaiian slack-key touristy music. Very nice touch, IMHO. Delta has an agricultural video that explains the importance of filling out the form, hosted by Emmie Tamimbong (sp?), IIRC. And, some FAs (not airline specific) will wear leis from their last visit to the Islands.
I've got some acquaintances that are headed over next year, and they are asking me this question. They want a little lead-in to the islands while they're still in the air.
If they want a great lead-in, they should be flying AQ/HA (I'd lean toward HA) for the HNL-based FAs. I don't know what it is, but it just feels more Hawaiian when you actually have people from Hawaii serving you. Also, IIRC, CO has (or used to have) a FA base in HNL. I remember so clearly once after arriving into HNL, the FA said, "Thank you for flying Continental and have a pleasant stay in the Islands. And, for all our returning kama'aina, welcome home." You gotta believe that line made me extremely happy and left me with a very good impression of the airline.
I know United has the Trader Vic's promotion going on, but that mainly effects First Class (although they do have Mai Tais in Economy too). And I know first-hand that on most of the other legacy carriers, their flights are like any other with virtually no Aloha onboard. So I may be talking about Hawaiian Airlines and Aloha Airlines here...in addition to United.
But don't forget that United has the half-way to Hawaii contest!
So can anyone opinion on Aloha or Hawaiian (or any others) that might be good for them in Economy (Mai Tais are the minimum "must")?
I personally don't like airline mai tais, so I'm afraid I can't help you on this, but I'll dig around and see what I can find.

In general, I would steer away from UA/AA/NW/DL and look more into CO/AQ/HA.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks slippahs!

But I have to write off Continental straight outta the gate...even in First...because contrary to this...

AFAIK: NW/CO both offer Mai Tais on their departures to/from their Hawaiian destination only in First.
...I can speak from many First Class experiences on Continental (and AA) to Hawaii, that they do not serve Mai Tais or any tropical drinks to or from there. Other than the pre-departure and agriculture video...you wouldn't be able to tell if you were headed to Des Moines or Honolulu. So I'd give CO's "Aloha Spirit" maybe a 1 out of 10.

I have no experience with NW though, but it it's as you say...Mai Tais in First only...it doesn't matter anyway.

Appreciate the other info though!
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:44 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by slippahs
If they want a great lead-in, they should be flying AQ/HA (I'd lean toward HA) for the HNL-based FAs.
I have flown UA, AQ, and HA in coach. Far and away the most the most "Hawai`ian" experience, as you're describing it, is on HA.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:51 am

If they want a great lead-in, they should be flying AQ/HA (I'd lean toward HA) for the HNL-based FAs. I don't know what it is, but it just feels more Hawaiian when you actually have people from Hawaii serving you. Also, IIRC, CO has (or used to have) a FA base in HNL. I remember so clearly once after arriving into HNL, the FA said, "Thank you for flying Continental and have a pleasant stay in the Islands. And, for all our returning kama'aina, welcome home." You gotta believe that line made me extremely happy and left me with a very good impression of the airline.
Since the poster is based in So. Calif., I'll just point out that the HA flights between LAX and HNL to a large extent use LA and not Hawaii-based crews.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

...I can speak from many First Class experiences on Continental (and AA) to Hawaii, that they do not serve Mai Tais or any tropical drinks to or from there. Other than the pre-departure and agriculture video...you wouldn't be able to tell if you were headed to Des Moines or Honolulu. So I'd give CO's "Aloha Spirit" maybe a 1 out of 10.
Mea culpe. It's been about 11 months since being in CO's BF, so I might be a little rusty at remember about the mai tais.

Can you tell us where they'll be flying in from?
Originally Posted by jtkauai
Since the poster is based in So. Calif., I'll just point out that the HA flights between LAX and HNL to a large extent use LA and not Hawaii-based crews.
Thanks, had no idea. How many other FA bases does HA have on the Mainland?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:02 am

Thanks, had no idea. How many other FA bases does HA have on the Mainland?
AFAIK, just LA. Not complaining, they are a fine crew. Furthermore, LA is probably the best HA mainland departure city, and has the best and most helpful HA lounge.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jtkauai
AFAIK, just LA. Not complaining, they are a fine crew. Furthermore, LA is probably the best HA mainland departure city, and has the best and most helpful HA lounge.
From HA's standpoint, it's HA's only HA-run lounge on the Mainland...

IME, I along with my SO experienced some bad eggs on the HA frontline staff in LAX. SO had the worst time getting out of LAX when her flight was canceled two years ago. Just grumpy agents all around.

In fact, HA's LAX staff is one of the reasons I took a plunge from HA over to NW about four years ago and haven't looked back since.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:29 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
My last couple of LAX-HNL flights on HA I would guess that most of the FAs were either transplanted locals or locals making a return trip back to their HNL base.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:41 am

From HA's standpoint, it's HA's only HA-run lounge on the Mainland...

IME, I along with my SO experienced some bad eggs on the HA frontline staff in LAX. SO had the worst time getting out of LAX when her flight was canceled two years ago. Just grumpy agents all around.

In fact, HA's LAX staff is one of the reasons I took a plunge from HA over to NW about four years ago and haven't looked back since.
I've flown from LAX to HNL on HA over 50 times. Really no complaints (and for me, that's really something).

When I said best lounge, I meant better than HNL. That's probably since they only have X-Pacific customers (and not inter-island).
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:50 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
For the real da kine, in-flight, pre-landing taste of Hawai'i, your friends should depart on HA from LAS, not LAX!

Flight crew, pax, whole plane kama'aina!
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Point of ultimate origin: Orlando, Florida

But they're planning on connecting thru either LAX or SFO.

But I suppose LAS could be "in the cards" too.

So far, it's very much sounding like Hawaiian Airlines is the way to go. So how are Hawaiian's Mai Tais? I know United doesn't use the pre-boozed types, and makes 'em semi-scratch with Trader Vic's mix and then they add fresh lime juice and the rum...with some garnish. I think United's are pretty darn good myself. How does Hawaiian go about making their Tais?

Thanks All! You're gonna make me sound like an expert!
Old Dec 2, 2006, 6:29 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
I think United's are pretty darn good myself. How does Hawaiian go about making their Tais?
They pour 'em out of a bottle: ready-mixed, store-bought kine. I think it's Trader Vic's.

Any HA coach pax can upgrade to F x-Pac for $250.00 one way, day of departure, if available!

Have fun!

Last edited by kaukau; Dec 2, 2006 at 1:07 pm Reason: I forgot something.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by kaukau
They pour 'em out of a bottle: ready-mixed, store-bought kine. I think it's Trader Vic's.

Any HA paid coach pax can upgrade to F x-Pac for $250.00 one way, day of departure, if available!

Have fun!
Any passenger can do day of departure or check-in upgrades, even award tix.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Since PremEx has decided on Hawaiian Airlines as the carrier of choice, I'm going to move it over to the Hawaii-based Airlines forum where it should receive a little more attention, esp. in re: HA mai tais.

--slippahs, Hawaii Forum co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.