Wiki Posts
Search

Learning the Hard Way

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines; Northwest Airlines
Learning the Hard Way

Much to my dismay, I found that AA's 45-minute pre-flight cutoff for checked bags is immutable, at least at DFW. I checked in at 6:50 a.m. for a 7:25 a.m. DFW-SEA flight last Sunday morning and was told that I couldn't check my bag, since I was within the 45-minute window. I appealed to a supervisor, with no success.

The airport was very quiet and the flight was only about 2/3rds full, and I checked in within sight of the aircraft. There's no way it was going to take them 35 minutes to inspect the bag and get it on the plane.

My real displeasure was over the two nice bottles of wine that I had to donate to the TSA Christmas party (along with my toothpaste, shaving cream and Leatherman tool).

Moral to the story - if you absolutely, positively have to check your bag, make sure you're there early!
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
i dont mean to be antagonistic - but did you think they have rules just so they can break them for you? If a cut-off time is set I always assume I must be before the cut-off time else whatever it is wont get done. In my line of business I have to set cut-off date and times and it is only on rare occasions I would entertain any late submissions.

Moral of the story - if they say it is so, then it is?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Not unique to AA... I've been screwed by UA at SFO when I arrived at the ticket counter literally 44 minutes before the flight...
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
OK, so what rule should they bend next for you? Admirals Club admission policies? Did you have a good story for being late? Flat tire? Explosive diarrhea?

No pity here....
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Originally Posted by Barney64
My real displeasure was over the two nice bottles of wine that I had to donate to the TSA Christmas party (along with my toothpaste, shaving cream and Leatherman tool).
Nope, destoryed or auctioned off and into the general funds.

I once had to fly home through a different route because I missed the one hour cutoff at LGW by three minutes. Seven additional flight hours, 10 hours additonal travel time, $300 change fee. Three minutes.

I understand your frustration, but it's not a you thing, it's a running a complex business thing. (A complex business that disses its customers, but that is a different tirade!)
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4M
Smile It could be worse..

Imagine a day when the TSA will charge you to destroy your liquids.. Taxpayers should be upset that money is going to destroy and auction off goods that the general public are no longer allowed to bring on board.. I see the credit card machines now for all the liquids..

Originally Posted by TierFlyer
Nope, destoryed or auctioned off and into the general funds.

I once had to fly home through a different route because I missed the one hour cutoff at LGW by three minutes. Seven additional flight hours, 10 hours additonal travel time, $300 change fee. Three minutes.

I understand your frustration, but it's not a you thing, it's a running a complex business thing. (A complex business that disses its customers, but that is a different tirade!)
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
The airport was very quiet and the flight was only about 2/3rds full, and I checked in within sight of the aircraft.
Just curious... but where at DFW can you check a bag (for an AA flight anyway) within sight of the aircraft?

There's no way it was going to take them 35 minutes to inspect the bag and get it on the plane.
Probably true if yours were the only bag they needed to inspect and load on a plane within that time frame.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 6:28 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Originally Posted by AlwaysAA
Imagine a day when the TSA will charge you to destroy your liquids.. Taxpayers should be upset that money is going to destroy and auction off goods that the general public are no longer allowed to bring on board.. I see the credit card machines now for all the liquids..

Destroy? Not hardly. The last time I had liquid confiscated, it was passed in a conga line to four different agents, until the 4th guy, not even having a clue where it came from looked at it and then opened the bottle and proceeded to drink from it. This all happened right in front of me and in less than 10 seconds. The TSA really believes in their own law.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Just curious... but where at DFW can you check a bag (for an AA flight anyway) within sight of the aircraft?

[sarcasm]
Easy. Have you ever even been to DFW? This would be gate S-1. The S terminal is for self-entitled fliers.

[/sarcasm]

This is mostly a computer thing. If the computer closes the flight, there isn't a lot they can do. This is also an accountability thing. If the TA decides to 'cut you a break', how on earth can they know the operating parameters that day and that hour for the ground crew? What if the bag is, in fact, too late and AA goes in-pocket to deliver it to you when you show up at XXX moaning "I CHECKED MY BAG ON A NON-STOP FLIGHT AND YOU IDIOTS LOST IT???!?!?!?"

I know FL will bend their checkin rules at ATL, but each and every time they do this, the walkie-talkie 3 or 4 supervisors (I presume 1 for each stage of bag delivery) for clearance.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines; Northwest Airlines
Originally Posted by erenner
i dont mean to be antagonistic - but did you think they have rules just so they can break them for you? If a cut-off time is set I always assume I must be before the cut-off time else whatever it is wont get done. In my line of business I have to set cut-off date and times and it is only on rare occasions I would entertain any late submissions.

Moral of the story - if they say it is so, then it is?
You imply that AA enforces its rules to the letter, regardless of the circumstances (including who's asked and/or who's asking for an exception), and we all know that this isn't always the case. In my experience, when a supervisor, etc., can make an exception and the situation warrants it, they will.

Other than to whine a little to make myself feel better, the objective of my post was simply to warn others who weren't aware of the hard deadline for checking bags, or didn't take it seriously.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
It can't be a computer cut off thing or my bag would have never gotten on my flight recently. It was about 35 minutes before departure when I showed up at the counter! (Mind you I was very thankful!!!)
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:55 pm

Everyone knows there are exceptions to every rule....but I don't think it is wise to rely on an exception. It is better to assume that the rule is going to be followed.

Now you'll know for next time. Isn't learning wonderful ^
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by DillMan
[sarcasm]
Easy. Have you ever even been to DFW? This would be gate S-1. The S terminal is for self-entitled fliers.

[/sarcasm]
Terminal S. What a great idea.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by justageek
Not unique to AA... I've been screwed by UA at SFO when I arrived at the ticket counter literally 44 minutes before the flight...
and slack beyond the barrier is a must as well. AS once got me, with two minutes to spare, by running their official clock a full five minutes fast (much like "bar time").

a 45 minute window is ridiculous at most airports, but what can one do?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:44 pm

Other than to whine a little to make myself feel better, the objective of my post was simply to warn others who weren't aware of the hard deadline for checking bags, or didn't take it seriously.
Well, I hope it worked and you feel better now. Nothing like a good rant to improve one's spirits.

Truth be told, I appreciate your warning since I fly out of DFW frequently. I will make sure I never try to check my bags 35 minutes before a Sunday morning departure at the counter that's within sight of the aircraft... especially if I am carrying wine and a pocket knife.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.