Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only 24,460 miles this year - does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Platinum; DL, BA; SPG Gold
Only 24,460 miles this year - does it matter?

I'm currently Plat and only flew 24,460 miles and less on the points side. I'll be dropping to Gold (assuming AA still does this) so even if I take a little mileage run for the 540 miles needed, I still only end up with Gold.

I don't plan on traveling again this year.

So, does it matter that I don't get to 25,000 miles?

Thanks.

Mrs. P

PS. Mr. Pat made Gold easily, but will not be making Plat.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:23 am

If AA does a soft-landing again this year (which they likely will), then it does not matter whether you get to 25k or not.

Mike
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:33 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
If AA does the Buy-Back of your current status provided you did not buy it back last year (we never know if this feature will be offered again this year but in the past years it was announced between the 12th and 15th of December with specific purchase dates in the following year) AND you are willing to spend the $$ to retain you PLT status .. you can stop flying now, pay the money next year (if offered) and remain a happy PLT one more year (and hopefully requalify next year).

Or not pay the money and remain GLD (provided soft-landing still exists)

OR get the 25k miles total to INSURE that you are GLD (hedging the position soft landing may not be offered again this year).

OR there still is time to get the addition miles/points/segments to requalify for PLT. I mean Thanksgiving in Japan and Xmas shopping in German and ?? may just requaliy your PLT!
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by JGR01
If AA does the Buy-Back of your current status provided you did not buy it back last year (we never know if this feature will be offered again this year but in the past years it was announced between the 12th and 15th of December with specific purchase dates in the following year) AND you are willing to spend the $$ to retain you PLT status .. you can stop flying now, pay the money next year (if offered) and remain a happy PLT one more year (and hopefully requalify next year).

I believe there was a minimum mileage needed to buy back status and under 25K would not do it for Plat....(not sure what the minimum was)
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by andrzej
I believe there was a minimum mileage needed to buy back status and under 25K would not do it for Plat....(not sure what the minimum was)
The minimum activity required, IIRC, was only one segment (irrespective of length) - the mileage threshold merely determined the cost of buyback.

EDIT: I found last year's thread, which has the cost and mile/point/segment breakdown:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503058

Post #13 notes the one-segment minimum, as well as the costs involved, depending on the number of miles/points/segments earned.

Mike

Last edited by nako; Nov 6, 2006 at 10:51 am
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:46 am

Yea . guess that was another requirement . so the OP really needs to get above 25K just in case (25,001 may work but no guarantees).

If the OP is a betting person they can wait until the announcement hits (if it hits this year) and watching FT will definately have a LOT of threads on it beginning early December! If there is a lower end mileage requirement the OP will still have a few days to get the required amount.

Then again, the price of the re-buy may be too high for some people (was it like $600-$700 for PLT last year?).
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:48 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
This post spelled out the exact cost/requirements for last year's buy-back:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=11
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
This post spelled out the exact cost/requirements for last year's buy-back:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=11
That post (which is part of the thread I linked) does not note the one-segment minimum, which is noted later in the thread.

Mike
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by nako
The minimum activity required, IIRC, was only one segment (irrespective of length) - the mileage threshold merely determined the cost of buyback.

EDIT: I found last year's thread, which has the cost and mile/point/segment breakdown:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503058

Post #13 notes the one-segment minimum, as well as the costs involved, depending on the number of miles/points/segments earned.

Mike
Buying back Plat required more than just 1 segment. It required at least 25 segments or at least 25001 miles.

That's the way I understood the buy back program. It's very possible that I'm wrong....
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by andrzej
That's the way I understood the buy back program. It's very possible that I'm wrong....
You're wrong - there's no "very possible" about it.

Mike
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:31 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
deleted.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:33 am

never mind
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT .8MM
I'm in the same boat and called the Plat number about a month ago - the agent said there will be a soft landing again this year.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by PatFlyer
I'm currently Plat and only flew 24,460 miles and less on the points side. I'll be dropping to Gold (assuming AA still does this) so even if I take a little mileage run for the 540 miles needed, I still only end up with Gold.

I don't plan on traveling again this year.

So, does it matter that I don't get to 25,000 miles?

Thanks.

Mrs. P

PS. Mr. Pat made Gold easily, but will not be making Plat.
you are 40 miles short of what in the past has been an "automatic mercy" threshold for Gold at 24,500.

there is no further known slack, and there's no guarantee past mercy levels will repeat, so either fly another segment or two or hope for a re-buy program and spend the $300 on it...
Old Nov 6, 2006, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by MrKite
I'm in the same boat and called the Plat number about a month ago - the agent said there will be a soft landing again this year.
Did you get the date of the memo they were quoting?

Did you get this in writing?

Seriously .. there is so much miss-information from Reservations, Gate, Ticket Counter, FewMiles and yes even here on Flyer Talk .. we have to take all 'news' with a grain of salt.

In fact, last year a national newspaper published some pretty wrong information about the buy-back (actually called it a buy-up program to ADVANCE your tier) that NO ONE has ever confirmed. So even something WRITTEN in a national newspaper cannot be guaranteed to be accurate.

All we can do is report what AA has done in the prior years and WARN posters that it may or may not be done this year. The OP then can make the an informed decision and not base their decision on rumors and possibly false information. I mean yes AA extended all our status's in 2001 for another year so we did not have to requalify after 9/11... you think they are going to do THAT again! I bet somewill somewhere will say yes!

Then again, I have personal confirmation from an AAgent that my flight ORD-FRA over Thanksgiving WILL MOST DEFINATELY be NBCS (on the 20 planes already convered).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.