Wiki Posts
Search

FA masticating in the p.s. C cabin

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
FA masticating in the p.s. C cabin

I took my first p.s. JFK-LAX flight in C (upgrade) this past Tuesday, and was, in general, pleased with the experience; particularly since I got seat 9D with the 15 feet of legroom experience.

However, the JFK flight crew had one FA who spent the entire flight with, I presume, a piece of chewing gum in his mouth. Every time he came down to serve food, drinks, etc, he'd be chewing away on his gum, his jaws moving up and down.

It seemed fairly unprofessional to me - I don't think I've ever been to a decent restaurant where the wait-staff would be chewing gum as they took your order, served it, and later took it away.

Has anyone else experienced this on a UA flight?

Def: masticate
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yuck! I have experienced this many times, but usually on Ted or UX. Certainly unprofessional!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a signature characteristic of UA FA's that we've all observed here...the gum slapping matrons.

At least the service was good. ^
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:47 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Am I the only one who did a double take when they first saw this thread's title?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by us2
Am I the only one who did a double take when they first saw this thread's title?
Nope!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by us2
Hey, I admit.. I like the shock value of a good double entendre
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
If it makes them more courteous and service-oriented, the FAs can masticate all they want.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by FruJu
Hey, I admit.. I like the shock value of a good double entendre
Same here. Anyway, best regards from F in LH453, where the FAs don't chew gum. Instead, they serve you caviar, along with vodka in a glass chilled with dry ice.

The four appetizer courses are over (no, not counting nuts), now waiting for the entree.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
If it makes them more courteous and service-oriented, the FAs can masticate all they want.
Disagree.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Disagree.
Agree with BJ.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
Excessive mastication is often a sign of low self-esteem, and, if left untreated, may lead to far more serious dysfunctions.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

I think the annoying thing about this particular FA was that he was chewing gum everytime he walked up or down the aisle. I can understand if he were trying to ensure that any ear pressure problems were alleviated during ascent and descent, but even at 37,000 cruising altitude he would walk up and down the aisle with his jaws chomping up and down.

It did remind me a little of a 50's diner experience, but not something you expect to see in p.s. C on a transcontinental.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:24 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Originally Posted by FruJu
I think the annoying thing about this particular FA was that he was chewing gum everytime he walked up or down the aisle. I can understand if he were trying to ensure that any ear pressure problems were alleviated during ascent and descent, but even at 37,000 cruising altitude he would walk up and down the aisle with his jaws chomping up and down.

It did remind me a little of a 50's diner experience, but not something you expect to see in p.s. C on a transcontinental.
What in heaven's name does 'p.s.' stand for?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AC110
What in heaven's name does 'p.s.' stand for?
www.united.com/ps
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
premium shew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.