Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Status requalification: I need x miles/points/segments. Is there a grace?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2006, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver

By my calculations, I'll be at 49800 miles at the end of my current travelling, with no other travels planned for the year.

Does anyone know if AA rounds up at all?

I'd hate to have to do a mileage run for 200 miles...
Old Oct 27, 2006, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
And so it begins. The first I've seen this year.

The generally accepted gap-bumb from what I've seen here on FT is 1,000mi. YMMV.

I would just do a quick turn or add one flight somewhere to get it for sure. There is no guarantee that AA will do what it did last year.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA-plt
Originally Posted by DillMan
I would just do a quick turn or add one flight somewhere to get it for sure. There is no guarantee that AA will do what it did last year.
To OP: think of it as a gaurantee for 200 miles
Old Oct 27, 2006, 2:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There is a Grace! I believe she works at the Hartford - Bradley Field call center... AA might well cut you 200 miles slack, but if you really want to be sure, remember the shortest flight will render 500 EQM / 500 EQP on AA / AE etc.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There has been a grace.

Will there be one this year?

Do you like to gamble?

Suggest you take an extra flight, or re-route an existing flight to get some extra miles (which will probably be more cost-effective).
Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:18 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Can we post this in the Wiki for the FIRST 'grace question' of 2006 requalification?

This is such a common post come December (and even more come late December) when people realize they need 'just a few more miles' to qualify/requalify.

Lets post it in the Wiki as the FIRST post and keep this open to refer all future PLT 'close' posts to. Do we need an EXP 'close' and a GLD 'close' thread too?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:20 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JGR01

Lets post it in the Wiki as the FIRST post and keep this open to refer all future PLT 'close' posts to. Do we need an EXP 'close' and a GLD 'close' thread too?
Well, sure. They might have different graces (the three graces, as it were).

Cheers.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Is it really worth you risking it for the sake of a quick turnround somewhere ?

I was going to be 1285 short, and living in the UK (with BA only giving 125 EQM per segment) I have now booked an LHR-ORD long weekend (3953 EQM e/w) to be sure - just think yourself lucky that in the US you can do a quick run in a day to get a minimum of 1K or just add a segment onto an already booked itin.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:14 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Yes we are spoiled on these Runs or quickie turns to get segments / miles. Or even long wierd trip (I did MSP-MIA-JFK-LAX-ORD-MSP once to get miles and flying N-S and E-W was kinda kewl in 28 hours)!

I might consider a day (or two) tho of LHR-AMS turns to get the required miles (less than an hour flight and a edible snack in ecomony and decent tea) or something equally as crazy! LHR-AMS-LGW-CDG-LHR-FRA-LHR-GLA-LHR-AMS-LHR-?? I know the LHR-AMS fares have been under $100 (50GBP?) return so might be cheaper than a transPond trip!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i believe that grace is amazing, but i didn't get it.....

the 1st year of plat status [iirc] it was announced after the qual period....when i found out, it was 2nd qtr at least....i had tossed my statements, but thought i had the 50k for the prior year....called aa cs and was told in a nasty manner "you only had 47xxx mi so xxxx you or equivalent"....

i had been gld since about july 1981....and saying i would have had the 50k if it had been announced during the year had no effect....

to op....pick up the mi's you need and sleep better....
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
In the past, when there has been a grace, has it been miles only? What about segments or points?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
My currently calculation is 49,750 miles - including a direct SEA-PHX flight that I haven't booked yet. You can bet I'll be booking that trip with one of those legs via PDX to get that extra 250 miles.

Add a segment into one of your trips. If you do the DFW-SEA thing, as your call name implies, add a PDX segment. It's easy and the SEA-PDX flights come along so often (when not cancelled) that the time penalty isn't that bad.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by clacko
i believe that grace is amazing, but i didn't get it.....

the 1st year of plat status [iirc] it was announced after the qual period....when i found out, it was 2nd qtr at least....i had tossed my statements, but thought i had the 50k for the prior year....called aa cs and was told in a nasty manner "you only had 47xxx mi so xxxx you or equivalent"....

i had been gld since about july 1981....and saying i would have had the 50k if it had been announced during the year had no effect....

to op....pick up the mi's you need and sleep better....
At least, with 25 years at Gold, you are probably well on your way to 2MM and lifetime PLT
Old Nov 16, 2006, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.5 MM / Hilton DIA/Marriot PLT/Hyatt PLT
AA EXP: 100K: How close is close enough?

So, I may be one of the few who end 2006 with 95K EQ miles - below the 100K requirement (by the way, segments and points are well below the requirements for EXP as well).

I heard that there is a review for those who get close. And that those doing the reviews will have guidelines to go off of by the end of the year. Does anyone have some insight into this process?

Does close count in FF programs as it does in horseshoes and granades?

James
Old Nov 16, 2006, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
¿Wrong forum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.