Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Web site generates fake boarding passes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Web site generates fake boarding passes

(I found below via a post on boingboing.net so I am not posting something that has not already reached the www. I have nothing to do with this webpage!)

The Northwest Airlines Boarding Pass Generator.
or
The TSA Emperor Has No Clothes

This webpage will produce a boarding pass good enough to get anyone past TSA, and thus, into the "secure" gate areas of the airport terminal.
Note that this will not be a valid pass, so it will not get you on the airplane. For that, you need to actually buy a ticket.

http://www.dubfire.net/boarding_pass/
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
(I found below via a post on boingboing.net so I am not posting something that has not already reached the www. I have nothing to do with this webpage!)

The Northwest Airlines Boarding Pass Generator.
or
The TSA Emperor Has No Clothes

This webpage will produce a boarding pass good enough to get anyone past TSA, and thus, into the "secure" gate areas of the airport terminal.
Note that this will not be a valid pass, so it will not get you on the airplane. For that, you need to actually buy a ticket.

http://www.dubfire.net/boarding_pass/
Interesting. Just wonder how long until the government tries to do a bust on this site, its owners and/or users.

I don't like two of the recommendations:

1. Give TSA employees scanners/computers, so that they can verify the validity of the boarding passes when you reach the security checkpoint. This is currently only done at the gate.
2. Do NOT allow people to print out boarding passes online. They're far too easy to spoof.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 28, 2006 at 8:07 pm
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
I'm counting the amount of time until this site is down.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:42 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I love it!!!!!

Osama Bin Laden Boarding Pass

Up yours, Kip Hawley!!!
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The IU Bloomington grad student responsible for this says on his blog that he's a Flyertalker.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:55 pm

Here's one for Kip Hawley:

Kip's Boarding Pass
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:03 pm

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
Well, crud.

It's probably goodbye OLCI for a while.

And of course, my (new) home airport is small, with only 2 NWA checkin kiosks.... and the "helpful" NWA people make EVERYONE stand in the same line to use them.....

Not that a person couldn't have somehow saved an online BP as a web page and just edited themselves before this. But that wouldn't have been so damn public of an exposure.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:08 pm

If the TSA forces the airlines to drop OLCI, then the airlines will lose money as they will have to ramp up staffing at check-in or passengers will choose not to fly as such a mandate would add even more time and hassle to an already-unreasonable process.

The airlines can't afford too many more "security" mandates. Sooner or later they will stand up to the bullies in the TSA.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The IU Bloomington grad student responsible for this says on his blog that he's a Flyertalker.
A denied boarding compensation lover. Makes for a good FTer.

The blog has some interesting other travel experiences, including some of the kind of stuff I've observed in India even casually.

Has a few conclusions built-in that I'd take issue with here, but certainly a good read.

His blog would make for a great trip report about India. ^^

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 26, 2006 at 6:02 pm
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:05 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
The defult seems to be for Bin Laden. FUNNY!
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:16 pm

Hi guys.

The boarding pass generator is something I created yesterday, and seems to be spreading on the web like wildfire.

I am indeed a flyertalker, although, mostly a lurker.

Hope ya'll enjoy it. We'll see what happens from here.

Cheers

Chris
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:18 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
so the usa is not unfree enough to suit him just yet?

What's the matter with people? Why does he want to make it even harder for flyers? Everybody already knew this, they were just smart enough to shut up about it and not put it in the TSA's face. And I hate to break it to him, but everybody and his brother can edit HTML. I'm on a blogsite where most of the teen posters have far better designed sites than his. He may be a Ph.D. candidate but he doesn't seem to have much in the way of an ability to think things through. I sincerely wish that he is in the back of a three hour line of three thousand spring breakers the next time he is denied the right to check in online. May all his vouchers expire before he can actually find available flights. He wins the peachfront prize as jerk of the week. What an embarrassment to the human race. Some people honestly won't be happy until we're all flying on Naked Air.

Ah, I see he was actually posting as I was. Dude, what the heck were you thinking? ID checking is not an important security measure. It is a jobs program. We need to focus on keeping bombs, guns, and other weapons off the airplanes. We do not need to waste time checking IDs and keeping everyone who has been pickpocketed in Paris from being able to fly home. Absolutely no good can come of this. Think, man, think.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
good stuff. hope you don't get into any kind of trouble. But its amazing work
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:21 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Probably less amazing to those who have been meeting grandpa at the gate for years and don't appreciate a bigmouth spoiling it for everyone else.

Originally Posted by buck3y3nut
good stuff. hope you don't get into any kind of trouble. But its amazing work
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:36 pm
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by genome4hire
Hope ya'll enjoy it. We'll see what happens from here.
What happens from here:
1. Some joker gets busted trying to get through with the fake BP. (I.E. trying to use fake NWA BP to get into a UA terminal, or just trying to make a point and outs himself once airside)
2. Person from #1 sells you out to stay out of Federal PMITA Prison
3. They charge you with Conspiracy to Do Something and the only way you can get out of it is by paying lawyers to negotiate a plea bargain where you take your site down meanwile being added to the no-fly list forever and blacklisted by NW

Or: 1. Massive press frenzy, 2. Visit from FBI, 3. (Same as #3 above)

Either way, I wish #3 wasn't so but I can really see it coming. I support your point and all. In fact I have long suspected a terrist would do it on his own as part of some larger plan, editing source by hand, etc. I just hope that whatever penalties come to you can cause the hapless TSA to rethink their Kabuki Security Theater. Maybe that can only happen if, when yours comes down, it is replaced by 3 more just like it for CO, UA, and AA.

In reality these people will probably not get on the plane b/c their barcodes will fail when scanned, so maybe now is the time to have the discussion (again) over whether it even matters that non-travelers are let into the secure area.

/pbz

Last edited by pbz; Oct 26, 2006 at 6:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.