Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana Club isn't bad.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Asiana Club isn't bad.

In fact, it could be quite the best for certain purposes.

http://www1.flyasiana.com/club/c_re_030.asp

I am not speaking about their redemption rates, but their redemption rules.

Within the given mileages you can fly around as you wish. And 4 stopovers are allowed, but limited to just one stopover in a country.

Example1 :
Frankfurt->Paris(stopover)->Lisbon(stopover)->Madrid(destination)->Vienna(Stopover)->Prague(stopover)->Munich = 2969miles : z-1 = 35000miles redeemed. Isn't it fantastic? ^

There are only few limitations according to Asiana's rules :
1. No stopover allowed in the country where you start your trip.
2. You must return to the country where you start your trip.
3. 1 stopover allowed per country.
4. 12 segments are allowed per award itinerary.

One open-jaw is allowed which makes the restriction of must-return simply a joke which again allows combining multiple reward itineraries resulting in something possibly better than the RTW!!!!. (Asiana Club doesn't offer the RTW as a reward)

Example2 :
LA->Tokyo(stopover)>Seoul(stopover)->HongKong(stopover)->Bangkok(stopover)->Singapore(destination), OPEN-JAW, [Ottawa->Boston(home)]

Ottawa->Boston segment is only 310miles can be replaced with any shorter flight into the US.
It's 9448+310 miles = z-4 = 55000 miles redeemed.

Singapore->Athens(stopover)->Vienna(stopover)->Prague(stopover)->Copenhagen(stopover)->Stockholm(destination), OPEN-JAW, [Kuala Lumpur->Singapore(home)]
7286+197 miles = z-3 = 50000miles redeemed.

Stockholm->Oslo(stopover)->Zurich(stopover)->Paris(stopover)->London(stopover)->LA(destination), OPEN-JAW, [Copenhagen->Stockholm(home)]
7072+311 miles= z-3 = 50000miles redeemed.

Isn't it better than the "normal" rtw? Redeeming only 155000miles?
(232500miles business, 310000miles first)

I think I'd rather stick with Asiana Club than changing to BMI DC or Spanair Plus unlike I suggested in an earlier post.

What do you think about this?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:56 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I like the outside the box thinking....

But will Asiana

Now let's look at this a bit more. @:-)

If I choose B, it's 75,000 for C x 3 = 225,000 points.

What type of flying to I need to accumulate 225K?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I like the outside the box thinking....

But will Asiana

Now let's look at this a bit more. @:-)

If I choose B, it's 75,000 for C x 3 = 225,000 points.

What type of flying to I need to accumulate 225K?
It doesn't matter whether Asiana likes it or not. They have to agree on that. (I already asked Asiana and they confirmed it.)

With UA, you need 200k for economy RTW. 225K for business is really not bad. And Example2 is certainly better than the RTW.

And what do you think about this?

Example3 :
New York->Zurich(stopover)->Rome(stopover)->Frankfurt(stopover)->Paris(stopover)->London(destination)->New York(home) : 9,352 miles = z-4 = 55k needed.
It's "merely" 82,500 miles on B. Sounds real?

It's just as if free Europe Airpass inclusive, isn't it?

Last edited by Geese Howard; Oct 23, 2006 at 11:31 am
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Asiana miles never expire and it's also quite easy to remain *G member in Asiana club.

First you need 100k to become a diamond member(equals *G) REGARDLESS how long it takes. Then you have to accumulate 40k every THREE years to stay *G. It's less than 14k/y.

And someday when you have one million miles in your account, it's the lifetime platinum.

I think Asiana Club is worth considering among *A.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Geese Howard
I second this, though many questions remain open for me. Maybe you have some answers for a thread I posted a while ago in the Asiana Club Forum?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586732
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jarino
I second this, though many questions remain open for me. Maybe you have some answers for a thread I posted a while ago in the Asiana Club Forum?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586732
reply done
Old Oct 24, 2006, 3:11 am

thanks! The absence of the "most direct routing" rule allows for interesting routings. The trick with the open jaw+short segment as pseudo-return is a smart way to get a oneway award.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Geese Howard
Asiana miles never expire and it's also quite easy to remain *G member in Asiana club.

First you need 100k to become a diamond member(equals *G) REGARDLESS how long it takes. Then you have to accumulate 40k every THREE years to stay *G. It's less than 14k/y.

And someday when you have one million miles in your account, it's the lifetime platinum.

Man, just as i was happily settled on BMI as my enw FF prog, 3 year levels, and 40k over 3 years, decisions decisions....
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aceman
Man, just as i was happily settled on BMI as my enw FF prog, 3 year levels, and 40k over 3 years, decisions decisions....

Asiana Club has many disadvantages, too.

- no bonus miles due to your status
- only 25% and 50% bonus miles for business and first (at least they DO count to your status)
- redemption rate not that generous (except for the pseudo-return trick I mentioned)

My recommendation for miles/year

- less than 30,000 : Asiana Club (you wont' get *G from anywhere else)
- 30,000~38,000 : Spanair (27,000 miles at Y will grant *G)
- 38,000~100,000 : BMI (you know why)
- over 100,000 : Asiana Club (Going for the lifetime platinum ASAP, and forget Asiana Club then.)

Asiana Club could be easily the ideal secondary FFP if not the primary one :
- What about a Europe tour covering 10 countries? (2*35k miles)
- What about a Caribbean tour covering 5 countries? (35k miles)

I think the best *A FFPs are :
Asiana Club : easiest *G, lifetime platinum, family mileage programm, OJPR trick(Open Jaw, Pseudo Return)
BMI DC : generous earning/redeeming rate especially for business/first, lifetime status possible.
Spanair Plus : very generous redeeming rate, easy status
UA Mileage Plus : lots of elite benefits for US residents.

Check carefully which fare you fly the most and which FFP gives most miles for that fare.

I think going at least dual is the most effective way for real FFs.
And for that purpose Asiana Club is probably the best backup FFP.

cya

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.