Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What kind of food can I bring?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum
This should answer a few questions asked in this thread.

Canned or jarred goods such as soup, sauces, peanut butter, fruits, vegetables and jellies - No

Cheese in pressurized containers - No

Duty free alcohol and other items (Please see our section on Duty Free Items)
Yes, but some restrictions apply.

Gel based sports supplements - Yes - 3 oz. or smaller container

Jell-O's - Yes - 3 oz. or smaller container

Pudding - Yes - 3 oz. or smaller container

Whipped cream - Yes - 3 oz. or smaller container

Yogurt or gel like food substances - Yes - 3 oz. or smaller container
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph

Canned or jarred goods such as soup, sauces, peanut butter, fruits, vegetables and jellies - No
But that doesn't quite address peanut butter in .9 oz plastic tubes, which is what we usually take along - to me, that's rather like the difference between a full 12 oz. bottle of shampoo and the 2 oz travel size, which is currently being allowed.

Do you have a url you could post for those rules?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
But that doesn't quite address peanut butter in .9 oz plastic tubes, which is what we usually take along - to me, that's rather like the difference between a full 12 oz. bottle of shampoo and the 2 oz travel size, which is currently being allowed.

Do you have a url you could post for those rules?
I found them on www.tsa.gov

I would say you would be just asking for troble trying to bring the peanut butter on in any container. They are not allowing the small packets of cream cheese or jelly on.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage

That 3 oz limit is kind of weird for yogurt. What kind of yogurt comes
in that small a package? Aren't most single-serve cups around 6 or 8 oz?
I guess there are kids' yo-baby kinds, but those are still 4 oz I think.
Are they limiting us to those tiny tube-style yogurts? How irritating, and
can we bring only one such yogurt along?

--LG
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
PB&J? You know, you might be a terrorist. . .

In addition to gel-like consistency, supposedly peanut butter has the misfortune of being an organic compound with the same density as those other organic compounds known as plastic explosives. I am sure it's SSI, so I'm only guessing the xray picture gets computer color coded, either in your checked or carry on, to the "Danger Will Screener--C4 or Chunky Jif Spotted" alarm color, a guarantee of a hand search by the Taking Sandwiches Apart food inspectors. Sadly, packing peanut butter in any container and any quantity is asking to get your bags searched. Only pilots, FAMs and terrorists can pack PB&Js these days.

OTOH, if every checked bag had a legal Kwart Kip Zip with a pound of Custom Gourmet peanut butter molded into a nice rectangular brick shape, it would cause a hand search of every bag, gum up the works and grind the whole bag screening process to a sticky jam. Hypothetically of course. Make sure to not accidentally pack your metal Cross pen and Ipod on top of your peanut butter brick if you are allergic to terminal dumps caused by the nut products.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
Fruit = bad!

Slightly off topic, but watch out for the US Dept. of Agriculture personnel.

I had a flight out of TBIT LAX earlier this year. I carried a plastic grocery bag of 2 to 3 asian pears to munch on. "Albertson's" was printed on the plastic grocery bag, since that's where I bought them earlier that day! After clearing security, I was approached by a USDA agent and told I needed to dispose of the pears! I protested and he said I could take them through if I had a receipt. I must have thrown the receipt away, so I was forced to dump the fruit!

Steve
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Wink

This morning going through security in CLE I had the following food in my carryon: 16 ounce cheese fondue my sister-in-law brought me from Switzerland, 12 ounce package of potato gnocci from Trader Joe's. Both are semi soft, not a liquid or gel, not a lotion. Gummy-like. Guess that texture is non lethal. No one said a thing.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Lutefisk is permitted only if you have proper documentation, including an interstate hazardous materials transport license.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:56 pm

Smile

Swampy loves Limburger cheese sandwiches with raw garlic and dijon mustard. He also likes to fly standby so he gets the middle seat at the back of the plane. Starting 15 minutes after takeoff, he takes out the sandwich and starts to eat it slowly, smacking his lips.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by swampcritter
Swampy loves Limburger cheese sandwiches with raw garlic and dijon mustard. He also likes to fly standby so he gets the middle seat at the back of the plane. Starting 15 minutes after takeoff, he takes out the sandwich and starts to eat it slowly, smacking his lips.
Wow, well welcome to FT! Please keep us informed as to your flight movements in the future so we can aviod that seat next to your sandwhich!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:37 pm

ok, so this might be a stupid question, but can I put airplane bottles of booze
into my zip lock baggie? If not, does anyone have a link where I can purchase 3 oz bottles?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by winelover
ok, so this might be a stupid question, but can I put airplane bottles of booze
into my zip lock baggie? If not, does anyone have a link where I can purchase 3 oz bottles?
I don't see why not... they seem to have "revised" the list again without fanfare to specificially allow "liquids" (not just "toiletries") as long as they are under 3oz. (note the weird use of "No" below).

Most "minis" are 50ML (1.7floz) so shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, wine seems to only come in 187.5ML bottles. Depending on your booze of choice, there's always a 3oz Scope bottle.

From http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

Food & Drinks - Carry-on
Beverages brought from home or purchased before reaching the security checkpoint - Unless they are in a 3 oz. or smaller container and in your quart-size, zip-top plastic bag.
No
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:47 pm

Has anyone ever tried to fly with one of these (http://shopping.netsuite.com/skymeals) meals? I have been considering them for my LAX departures, as I have very specific dietary needs and no time to cook a decent meal before a flight. Airside food in the U.S. airports I have been through does not cut it (I can speak highly of Austria, Germany and Holland, though).
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by winelover
If not, does anyone have a link where I can purchase 3 oz bottles?
My regular liq. store has them up by the register.

If you fly with them in the near future please post back your results!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:14 pm

This TSA Gourmet thread is unbelievable and would beggar the definition of truly, intrinsically idiotic if it weren't so... FASCINATING! All you folks bringing lunch onto a train that's already wrecked and being told what you can eat by your mis-chefs.

Keep linin' up, people. That's what you're good at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.