Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shortcut to EXP? I will fly 90k miles in last 5 mo of '06!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Shortcut to EXP? I will fly 90k miles in last 5 mo of '06!

I just took a new job and will have flown 90k miles between August and the ned of the year. That brings me 10k short of Exec Platinum -- everyone from AA says that I'll have to wait until next year to qualify.

It seems crazy that they wouldn't give me another couple weeks to achieve the 100k cut-off. For me, there are a few reasons to go to United and get 1k status - it will take the same amount of time as AA, give me status on another airline (greater flexibility for planning personal travel), etc.

Anybody have luck convincing AA to up to EXP? I have been told by a few people at AA (the people who help with flight stuff in the Admirals Club) that there's absolutely no way AA will upgrade me to EXP, or give me the couple weeks extra in Jan to earn my 100k miles.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by mikehdow
everyone from AA says that I'll have to wait until next year to qualify.
So why not a mileage run to bring in the 10,000 miles you need?

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by tom911

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Or you could also, if you had an extra day, take the long way from HKG to BKK via SYD or something of the sort (same milage run idea).
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Years ago - and I mean years ago - in the days where Gold was the top and the qualifications were hazy I was laid up for several months not traveling for a health issue. When I called the Gold Desk she noted it and gave me an address and a person to write a letter to with a doctor's note (almost like being back in school!) which I did. I received back a letter saying my Gold status would be exxtended.

I would recommend specifically talking to the EXP desk and having them look at your flying record and see what they say.

If they wont commit - mileage run
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tom911

Welcome to FlyerTalk
That's going to be tough. Any suggestions for big miles?

I fly every week between Boston and LA. I have two travel weeks off between now and the end of the year - Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm sure my extended family wants to see me some this year! Though, if you can point me in the right direction for earning lots of miles in quick&cheap flight or two, that'd be great.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:42 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
LAX-LHR is about 11,000 miles, round trip, and costs about $550 in the winter. You can leave at about 8 pm one night and come back by about 2 pm on the second day following. Or get about 9,000 flying LAX-LHR-BOS, with your return leg to LAX sometime next year (Edit: I meant to add that you can leave LAX at about 8 pm, sleep on the plane, arrive in London at about 2 pm the next day, leave for Boston at 6 pm, and arrive in Boston just before 9 pm). Then, you only need to do a quick hop to JFK or something for the remaining 1,000 miles.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
That's going to be tough.
All you need is one free weekend (or even one day on a weekend if you're doing domestic). Have you looked at the Mileage Run forum? FTers do these all the time.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Global Services , Marriott Platinum
How about flying from Boston to LA via SFO, SJC or SAN? The short leg will earn the 500 minimum miles, adding 1000 a week if you could do that on each trip. Even if you only do it on a few trips, it may put you close enough for a single domestic mileage run to put your over the edge.

Also, how are your qualifying points?
Old Oct 12, 2006, 1:02 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Keep in mind that AA has many people that fly the majority of their miles in specific months, and they don't make exceptions for them. I'm one that is thankful that AA is very strict on this. It truly rewards "elite" flyers, not just the "could have made it but chose not to" flyers.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 1:24 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Assuming that your bi-coastal travel patterns will continue, I'd opt for a mileage run to get this done. It will be worth it for the systemwides and unlimited domestic upgrades.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
If they wont commit
They won't commit.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

I fly every week between Boston and LA. I have two travel weeks off between now and the end of the year - Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm sure my extended family wants to see me some this year! Though, if you can point me in the right direction for earning lots of miles in quick&cheap flight or two, that'd be great.
Look for a B fare to deep south America - 1.5 EQP's and easy to earn 10K on any trip ex-MIA or DFW to SCL, EZE, GRU, etc. Overnight trips, you can go down, stay 1/2 a day and come back on the same plane overnight. I do YYZ/SCL annually for 18,000 EQP, $1,300.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 2:08 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Wow, that's a lot of flying in a short period of time. Congrats ^

Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 2:31 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
They absolutely won't commit. If you're a high-fare customer (read, EQP/EQM ratio >1 although I'm not sure where the cutoff is) they will cut a bit of slack on the # of points required (I believe up to 5k??? Not sure). They cut a VERY little slack even on miles but otherwise you either have the points/miles by 12/31 or you stay Plat.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, LH SEN, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum Premier
I have at agree with the general tone, do a MR, EXP is worth it. If I could have kept it on my current assignment, I would have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.