Wiki Posts
Search

driving from melbourne to adelaide

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2006, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: just about them all
Cool driving from melbourne to adelaide

My hubby and I will be travelling throughout Australia for 7 weels. It is our first time to Oz and we would like to drive from Melbourne to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road. Any advice as to the minimum time to allow for this trip. Where should we stay
Old Oct 7, 2006, 3:36 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Nice 2 day drive though you can do it in 1 day. Lots of B&B type places to stay, for example http://www.needitnow.com.au/Great_Oc...mmodation.html
Old Oct 8, 2006, 5:58 pm

we only went as far as port fairy, where we stayed one night. we also stayed one night at apollo bay, which we adored. in hindsight, we wish we would have stayed at least two nights at apollo bay. the 12 apostles is very interesting, but frankly, there are so many other interesting and beautiful places to stop and things to see, that i'd approach this area quite slowly. for example, we came upon gum (eucalyptus type) trees that were full of koala bears. then there was a great lighthouse at cape otway (oldest in australia) that we toured. and much much more.

by the way, if you don't go to tassie (and spend at minimum of 1 week), you will in my opinion have missed the very very best that australia has to offer. a hidden secret gem that isn't going to be secret much longer.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:41 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
It will take you a minimum of 2 days, and if you actually want to see things along the way I'd suggest 3 or 4 days.

From Melbourne to Geelong is boring highway, then to Torquay and Anglesea is countryish but fairly boring. From Anglesea to Apollo Bay the road clings to the side of the cliff, with stunning views. Townships along the way are very touristy and should be driven through without stopping. (Especially Lorne!) Apollo Bay has lots of excellent motels to stay overnight and also has very good fish and chip shops. Sadly it's becoming touristy now and there are now lots of trendy cafes and the like as well.

Just beyond Apollo bay the hairiest stretch of cliff-side road, then the road swings inland through the Otway National Park. The Otway Fly, a tree-top walk is here and is fabulous, and a diversion down to Cape Otway to see the lighthouse there is well worth while.

The road will eventually become a coastal road again before the area of all the spectactuar rock formations such as the 12 Apostles and many others. Not much in the way of views while driving; you have to stop at the marked carparks, get out and walk to to the sights. The countryside there is the top of a limestone plain with rolling hills covered in very short scrub. Pretty, but there's a couple of hours worth of it so it can get boring.

If you look at everything along here it will take you quite some time to do all the walks etc. You can overnight at Port Campbell if you're still looking at the rock formations, or you can press on to Port Fairy which is a delightful old town and a good overnighting spot. (Warrnambool is a large town with whale-watching in the right season; apart from that it's a drive-through spot).

After Port Fairy there is still Portland (a lovely old town, worthy of a visit) and then it's on to the border with South Australia. You must stop at Mt Gambier and see the Blue Lake; an old volcano with intense blue water filling the crater. It's still a fair trek from here to Adelaide.

Basically, get in the car, start driving, and stop when you feel like it. You're never more than an hour away from a motel and dinner. I really recommend not planning anything specific; just do it as it comes!

And for a completely different recommendation: go to King Island. It's one of the best places in Australia.

Audrey
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:27 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Originally Posted by jtkauai
by the way, if you don't go to tassie (and spend at minimum of 1 week), you will in my opinion have missed the very very best that australia has to offer. a hidden secret gem that isn't going to be secret much longer.
Tassie is a great place and has so much to offer!
Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:11 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Third the tassie suggestion - not just because I live here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.