Wiki Posts
Search

checking in on AA.com

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
checking in on AA.com

I went on an MR yesterday AUS-ORD-SEA-ORD-AUS all in one day. I tried to print out the boarding pass on AA.com for all 4 segments, but it only gave me the first two. I called customer service and they said all four boarding passes should have showed up and they couldn't force the other two to display. I'd have to check in at the gate/kiosk.

Anyone ever have such problems with checking in online before?

My first segment AUS-ORD was eventually cancelled (they called me at 4:00am to tell me that), but I don't think that would have anythign to do with it.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I did LGA-DFW-PHX-DFW-LGA last Saturday, and only got the first two boarding passes online. I had to get the return ones in PHX. I think this is pretty typical.

I do wonder, though, what happens if you have something like: JFK-MIA-SJU-JFK

There are not clear outbound and return trips there. Would online check-in generate all 3 boarding passes?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:15 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Why is the second example any different from the first one?

The destination in example one is PHX and you got PHX, the second it's SJU and you likely get up to SJU.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:19 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
It is interesting that you can not (and this is fairly recent on AA) get all BPs for a same day turnaround when booking at a desk (maybe even a kiosk), but it won't do it online. (Until recently, you couldn't even get the MR return until you had flown the outbound, but they"fixed" that...maybe the website just needs to catch up)

Cheers.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Why is the second example any different from the first one?

The destination in example one is PHX and you got PHX, the second it's SJU and you likely get up to SJU.

I imagine you're correct. If I request JFK-SJU on aa.com, and choose a flight where one segment connects in MIA, then the computer can (correctly) deduce my destination is SJU. However, say I book the trip using the 'muti-city' option, JFK->MIA; MIA->SJU; SJU->JFK. Then each segement is shown separately on the search results screen. Would the online check-in only give me JFK-MIA, and make me pick up the rest in MIA?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by brp
It is interesting that you can not (and this is fairly recent on AA) get all BPs for a same day turnaround when booking at a desk (maybe even a kiosk), but it won't do it online. (Until recently, you couldn't even get the MR return until you had flown the outbound, but they"fixed" that...maybe the website just needs to catch up)

Cheers.
That is interesting. I'm pretty sure based on my sucess and lack of sucess on a few different flights that it is dependent on timing of the flights to when you check-in.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
The customer service person told me that she runs into these situations (MRs) quite often. Maybe it's just not implemented correctly on their website yet.

But in the end, I got all 4 BPs at the kiosk. Fortunately, I wasn't running late or in a rush where online check-in would have been useful.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Oddly check in desk was unable to check me in for the same day return segments, but online I was able to check in for all segments including those the following day - this well before departure time on the first leg.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:50 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
For a MR where return path is the same as outbound path (e.g. LAX-DFW-CMH-DFW-LAX), you can only get the first two boarding passes. You hafta get the last two BP's at CMH.

There are some AAgents, who typically work in the AC, who can override the system and give you all the BP's from the get-go. I have found that when they do this, it goofs up your upgrade request.

For a MR where the return path is different from the outbound path (e.g. LAX-DFW-STL-ORD-LAX) you can get all the BP's at the beginning of your trip.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
For a MR where return path is the same as outbound path (e.g. LAX-DFW-CMH-DFW-LAX), you can only get the first two boarding passes. You hafta get the last two BP's at CMH.
Actually, this changed a few weeks ago.

I had a routing SFO-DFW-DCA/DCA-DFW-SFO all on the same day in September, and was able to print boarding passes at home for all segments (this was not possible in years past because the return itinerary was the same). I just went and pulled them from my "to be shredded basket" where I had all copies of all 4 staped together still. I'm pretty sure it coincided with the update on the AA website:

Round Trip Flight Check-In is now available. Check in and print your boarding passes for both your outbound and return flights at the same time (as long as your return flight is within 24 hours of initial check-in). If you use Flight Check-In to print your boarding passes and would also like to check bags when you get to the airport, you can use the Self Service Check-In machines by selecting the "Check Bags Only" option, or Curbside Check-In (fees may apply). For more information on Flight Check-In on AA.com, visit www.aa.com/checkin.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by tom911

Round Trip Flight Check-In is now available. <snip>
I thought I remembered seeing something like that. Looking at that page, it seems the relevent sentence is: ...print your boarding passes for both your outbound and return flights at the same time (if your return flight is within 24 hours of initial check-in).

Sounds like you need to wait until 24 hours before the return leg. On my PHX run, I checked in right at 24 hours before the outbound leg, and wasn't presented with the option to check in for the return.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cbender
I checked in right at 24 hours before the outbound leg, and wasn't presented with the option to check in for the return.
I checked in 24 hours ahead of the first leg, too, as one of my upgrades hadn't cleared, and was offered all 4 boarding passes. Sounds like all the bugs aren't worked out yet.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Ah, the post written here has shed some light on the mystery that I had for the past several months.

Same day boarding pass printing worked for (printing at 24 hrs before initial departure time @ LAX):
LAX-ORD-ATL-DFW-LAX
LAX-STL-JAX-DFW-LAX

Yet they did not work for (printing at 24 hrs before initial departure time @ LAX):
LAX-MIA-JAX-MIA-LAX
LAX-DFW-PHL-DFW-LAX

Perhaps the latter two would've worked if I:
LAX-MIA-JAX-MIA-LAX (should've printed bp 24 hrs before JAX departure)
LAX-DFW-PHL-DFW-LAX (should've printed bp 24 hrs before PHL departure)

My take from this and previous posters would then be:

If the inbound routing is not the same as the outbound routing, then you can print all of your boarding passes at the 24 hr mark before the inbound departure time.

On the other hand, if the outbound routing is the same as the outbound, they ou can print all of your boarding passes at the 24 hr mark before the outbound departure time.

Unfortunately, I don't have anymore transcon MRs for the rest of the year, so I won't be able to know for sure anymore. Can anyone try and see if this theory holds true or not? I also want to know if it is 24 hrs at the time zone in the location that you are in right now, or 24 hrs from the time at the destination's time zone?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:11 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by tom911

Round Trip Flight Check-In is now available.
Right you are! I had completely forgotten about this welcome change. (Have not had occasion to use it yet.) Thanks for correcting my post.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
If the inbound routing is not the same as the outbound routing, then you can print all of your boarding passes at the 24 hr mark before the inbound departure time.
This has been true for a long time. E.g, LAX-DFW-STL-LAX last spring I was able to print all BP's 24 hours in advance of the first flight. If you keep going in a big circle and never connect in the same airport twice, the system sees it as one big huge one-way trip.
On the other hand, if the outbound routing is the same as the outbound, they ou can print all of your boarding passes at the 24 hr mark before the outbound departure time.
Yes, that's the new deal announced earlier this year.
I also want to know if it is 24 hrs at the time zone in the location that you are in right now, or 24 hrs from the time at the destination's time zone?
24 hours before the flight actually departs (i.e. the time zone at the departure airport).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.