Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Knee Defender™- Anyone Hear of This Product?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2003, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Just curious if anyone had tried to use it on a flight yet.

The corporate policy regarding this product is:

"Delta is currently reviewing whether the use of this product should be prohibited or limited on board Delta aircraft."

------------------
I am not a sanctioned representative of Delta on these boards, just an interested participant. I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board and to provide my opinion and/or to try to answer Qs. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question (in any capacity). Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions to get a corporately-supported reply.www.delta.com/email
Old Oct 19, 2003, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I haven't tried it yet, but IMHO everyone has the right to recline their seat. I hope that DL bans the use of it.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
sorta cool

Though everyone might have the right to their seat and a recline, full reclines into your space can be a real pain.

I get really torked by the people that just SLAM the seat back, then they sit forward and do not even take advantage of the reclined seat.

Old Oct 19, 2003, 11:00 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
A similar product that does exactly the same thing was discussed in the AA forum before it got moved to Travel Buzz.

Can we save any additional posts on this thread for discussion of Delta's policy only? If you are for or against the device, or have/don't have issue with someone putting their seat back and you want to talk about that, you can do so in the thread Seat Wedge - The good, the bad, the ugly

[This message has been edited by jeffreyt (edited 10-19-2003).]
Old Oct 19, 2003, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
sorta cool

Though everyone might have the right to their seat and a recline, full reclines into your space can be a real pain.

I get really torked by the people that just SLAM the seat back, then they sit forward and do not even take advantage of the reclined seat.

</font>

I was on a CVG-LGA leg the other day, and was in the second exit row in Y. I was at the window and the person in front of the lady at the aisle apparently didn't know that his seat had a limited recline because he was in front of an exit row. He leaned far forward (I can't say for certain, but I think he even stood above the seat) an absolutely SLAMMED himself back into the seat, knocking the HOT cup of coffee into the ladies lap. Wow was that a mess! Anyways... Sometimes people could stand to be more aware of their surroundings!
Old Oct 20, 2003, 12:50 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As a courtesy to UDH, I will keep this thread open, but I would encourage all who have an opinion on this item to post their views on Travelbuzz
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/011618.html
Obscure2k
Dl Moderator
Old Oct 20, 2003, 1:27 am

Location: FLL; DL PM; CO Silver; Hilton Diamond; Priority Club Gold; Hertz PC; National Emerald; et al
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UnofficialDLHelper:

"Delta is currently reviewing whether the use of this product should be prohibited or limited on board Delta aircraft."

</font>
I strongly believe Delta should ban the use of this product. The seats were made to recline, not only by the manufacturer of the plane, but by the owner of it. If Delta did not intend for the seats to be reclined, I'm sure they could have put that in their specifications to Boeing.

If the seats are made to recline, then you do now OWN that space - it belongs to the seat in front of you, and your space includes the air when your seat is reclined. If somebody puts one of these on my seat and I am not able to recline - if I happen to choose to - the device will be coming off. The desire of the person behind me does not negate the purpose of my PAID seat.

I try to be courteous. When food used to be served, I would not recline during meal service. But, if I'm tired and want to sleep, I'll recline - it's my right to do so. I always do so slowly to make sure I am not going to snap somebody's laptop screen.

Delta need to create a policy on these SOON before there is an incident in the air.

Old Oct 20, 2003, 4:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FL-Delta-Platinum:
I strongly believe Delta should ban the use of this product. The seats were made to recline, not only by the manufacturer of the plane, but by the owner of it. If Delta did not intend for the seats to be reclined, I'm sure they could have put that in their specifications to Boeing.</font>
I think you hit on the real issue here. It's not whether it's polite or not to recline your set but whether or not DL should allow folks to "modify" their aircraft. I don't see how they have any choice but to ban this or any other device that jury rigs some part of the plane.

Edited for sleepy eyed typo....

[This message has been edited by Cholula (edited 10-20-2003).]
Old Oct 20, 2003, 6:32 am

Unfortunately, the airlines include the seat reclining feature but then provide too little seat pitch to make its use reasonable for the user as well as the person sitting behind. In Delta coach, when the seat is reclined it is very, very difficult to use a laptop on the tray or even to read a standard size newspaper. And neither is comfortable to do from a reclining position if one decides just to pass the problem on to the next row. It also makes it extremely difficult for persons in the row behind to get in and out. I never recline my seat in coach accordingly. There should definitely be a relationship between the amount of seat recline and minimum amount of remaining space when seat is put back. I am sure when Boeing designed the original recline they anticipated more spacing between seats. This lack of space and the coming lack of upgrades out of the miniscule space is my main driver in going to another airline 100% for good on January 1. I don't mind the recline feature on AA or in Economy+ on UA as I still have reasonable space.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 6:57 am

I was the victim of a seat recliner on my last trip to Boston on Comair. I had my cellphone clipped to the seat in front of me (as there was not enough room in the seat for my own behind). Of course during the flight the seat back fell into my knee. I did not realize it had destroyed the cellphone until I was off the plane and the antenna fell off.

If the airlines insist on putting a recline feature on their seats (and I do NOT object to it being there) they MUST provide enough leg room so something more than half their passengers will fit in the space.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 7:35 am

I think it will create some ugly incidents in the air between passengers. I once heard a shouting match almost turning into a fight over who had the right to use the armrest.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 7:37 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
A person reclining into me can crush my knees because I am tall. So, if I'm in a non-exit row seat in Y, the person in front of me is not going to recline. Prevention can include polite requests, refusal to move my knees, a demonstration of Newton's Third Law (Every action has an equal and opposite reaction), or the use of a device such as this.

I really don't care which I employ if polite requests not to injure me are ignored. This one seems to generate the least conflict.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 8:37 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
More often than not, the person in front of me doesn't recline (either from not bothering or because the seat only goes half an inch before it reaches my kneecaps). Therefore, it would be a waste of time for me to buy the Knee Defender and set it up if the person in front is courteous and doesn't fully recline the seat. So, I won't be buying one of these.

For those rare times when the person in front doesn't realize I am back there, and the person pushes and pushes and pushes back with no end in sight (I provide lots of chances for you to quit it), I find that screaming gets the point across real fast.

I have gotten to the point of screaming only once, thank goodness, but if it happens on a regular basis, I'll simply stop flying. Like most people, I don't HAVE to fly; I CHOOSE to fly. I can withstand all the other idiocies of air travel, but slamming into my knees is intolerable.

On the other hand, if the psychobabblists are correct in that screaming is good for you, maybe I'll fly even more.

------------------
"Yippie-kay-yay, Mr. Falcon!" -- John McClane, Die Hard II As Seen on TV

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 10-20-2003).]
Old Oct 20, 2003, 9:09 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
there won't be any problems, because people won't mind seeing this (http://www.kneedefender.com/html2/misc/court_crd-prnt_pg.htm) on their seats when they sit down.

this is a disaster in the making.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 9:18 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I am 6'6" - there is no room for the person in front of me to recline their seat.
I am very polite - explain my situation and have never really had any problems with someone who insists on trying to break my kneecaps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.