Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Why did TSA turn Japan's Britney Spears' mom to DEA for carrying $400000 in carry-on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did TSA turn Japan's Britney Spears' mom to DEA for carrying $400000 in carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:26 pm
DebbieS

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...62hikaru1.html

Are they legally obligated to do so? (or even have the legal authority?)

Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DebbieS
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...62hikaru1.html

Are they legally obligated to do so? (or even have the legal authority?)
Export/import of more than $10,000 is to be declared to Customs. DHS shares that information with other agencies. This, however, is another matter because it's domestic flights.

For domestic flights, TSA often reports large cash amounts to the DEA, in anticipation of getting a share of the money, or otherwise rewarded as being part of a "big catch". DHS, TSA, DEA and a whole bunch of other government agencies have this retarded mentality that large amounts of cash = drugs or some other crime.

Personally, I don't think the TSA should be doing such things, especially not in relation to cash.

This is not the first time the TSA has done this. I too am curious if these things have hit the federal courts, since TSA is acting like law enforcement's net in a fishing expedition when it does such things.

I'd like to see some court cases about such kinds of fishing expeditions. Unfortunately, government seizure of cash can put a cramp in one's legal options since the money to pursue that option is held by the government and often all the money that person has. I hope this woman has the financial resources and WILL to pursue the matter all the way up the court system.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 1:14 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
If you look at the complaint at the bottom of the page, this is yet another case where we (the "United States of America") are suing money ("$421,489.44 in United States Currency More or Less, and All Proceeds Traceable Thereto.") So bizarre.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 6:36 am

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Originally Posted by GUWonder
For domestic flights, TSA often reports large cash amounts to the DEA, in anticipation of getting a share of the money, or otherwise rewarded as being part of a "big catch".
Or, you know, in catching criminals.

I asked a lawyer friend (ex-DA, now does real estate:-) and she said that the "in plain sight" rule applies to admissability and that the TSA has the same right as any citizen/organization to alert law enforcement to possible violations. (Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, so YMMV)

DHS, TSA, DEA and a whole bunch of other government agencies have this retarded mentality that large amounts of cash = drugs or some other crime.
Because the 'normal' frequent flyer carries tens of thousands of used bills taped to their legs all the time. (Recent arrest in RDU, no joke) So much more convienent than an ATM card.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by TierFlyer

I asked a lawyer friend (ex-DA, now does real estate:-) and she said that the "in plain sight" rule applies to admissability and that the TSA has the same right as any citizen/organization to alert law enforcement to possible violations. (Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, so YMMV)

Because the 'normal' frequent flyer carries tens of thousands of used bills taped to their legs all the time. (Recent arrest in RDU, no joke) So much more convienent than an ATM card.
Since when is carrying a lot of money on one's person criminal? While it could be a flag of drug running, absent finding any drugs or any outstanding warrants, it shouldn't be a big deal.

There are people who carry a lot of cash to Vegas.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 9:43 am

Wow. The TSA is making me feel sympathy for a horrible show-biz mother. Good effort. (What's the Japanese equivalent of "trailer trash?")

BTW, how much drugs can one buy for 44 cents. And, did the dogs "alert" to those last 4 pennies?
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:53 am

Apparently this happened in March and the money has already been returned.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:44 am
Suspended

Cash = criminal?

Why even bring up "criminals" in this matter, when it appear that the bulk of the cash was returned, something that usually does not happen when the proceeds are determined to be criminal proceeds? Another example of the IMAGINATION of someone with a "big catch" mentality.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:30 pm
DebbieS

The amount that the DEA wanted was "$421,489.44"
which is kind of amusing to me.

What's the deal with the last $0.44? Was that just her pocket change? Or are drug dealers(alleged) now counting nickels and dimes? "your 2 ounces of pot is $29.99, or $32.47 after tax"

Old Sep 30, 2006, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DebbieS
The amount that the DEA wanted was "$421,489.44"
which is kind of amusing to me.

What's the deal with the last $0.44? Was that just her pocket change? Or are drug dealers(alleged) now counting nickels and dimes? "your 2 ounces of pot is $29.99, or $32.47 after tax"
It's typical government money grab done by impoverished thinkers who think cash=criminal . They go for it all, when they go for it.

The proxy war on cash was done in the name of the war on drugs. Now it's done in the name of the war on terror too.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 2:11 pm
DebbieS

The proxy war on cash was done in the name of the war on drugs. Now it's done in the name of the war on terror too.
War on drugs.... whatever happened to that old war? Which side won? .....

Old Sep 30, 2006, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having money isn't a crime. It's the American Dream, isn't it?

Besides, the TSA's mission isn't to catch criminals, it's to protect aviation security. Every minute of attention spent on finding people who have "too much" money is a minute that is taken away from finding guns and bombs. Tests consistently show that the TSA is no better at catching guns and bombs than the private airport screeners used to be. In other words, they absolutely cannot afford to divert any attention from that primary mission.

If a plane blows up because these guys were distracted with looking for people with "too much" money, I'm not going to be too sympathetic. Perhaps you're willing to accept greater risk to your life to find people with "too much" money, but I'm not.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 3:03 pm

Programs: Too much flying; Lots of hotels
This is a game that has been played many times, where the government finds someone with a lot of cash - no real reason to believe it involves breaking the law - that looks to be unworldly and lacking resources to fight back, and then tries to take it away. Not just the TSA, but more often small law enforcement agencies in southwestern states; there is just too much profit in it for them to resist the temptation. It usually involves immigrants from countries where banks are not too trustworthy (heck, I'm an American MBA and don't really trust banks ). And of course, you get around the small constitutional problem of taking someone's property without due process of law by claiming the property is a separate entity.

In this case, they went up against a person with the resources to fight back; but she did appear an easy target at first glance .
Old Sep 30, 2006, 3:54 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
The money was all bills... US, Canadian and Australian. The odd number was due to the exchange rate.

We can debate the right of TSA to notify DEA, but any cash transaction of more than $10,000 gets reported. If you go and buy a car in cash, the car dealer has to report that. The intent is to prevent laundering of funds. If you deposit $10,000 in cash, the bank has to report it (this is sometimes a major hassle for small retail businesses when they have a good weekend of sales). There is the fundamental issue of whether or not the TSA should drop a dime on this, but the reality is that the screener probably saw this huge dense mass on the x-ray and needed it checked.

The part that kinda bugs me is where DEA had a drug sniffing dog check out the cash. The dog alerted. DUH! I've seen numerous studies where testing found most $20 and greater denomination currency was loaded with traces of drugs. Bundle up 4000+ $100 bills and I'm reasonably certain you could get high sticking your head in the bag. I'm amazed with that knowledge that courts are still finding a dog alerting to the cash to be probable cause for seizure.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
protect aviation security.
because they are SOOOO good at that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.