Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Anyone gotten a hotel Gold status promotion lately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Seems like they were a dime a dozen last year. "Due to your UA status, we're comping you to xxx Gold status". I personally took advantage of Starwood and Hilton.

I haven't seen one in months.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:57 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I got one from Starwood last month. I wish Hilton would bump me up (I have earned silver status with them, and would have gold if I hadn't had to choose conference hotels over the local Hilton / Hampton Inn a few times this year).
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Have any 2P's been able to get comped in the past, or is this for the big boys only?
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sobore
Have any 2P's been able to get comped in the past, or is this for the big boys only?
Don't know about the "big boys", but my wife (1P) got both Starwood and Hilton last year. I (also 1P) got nothing.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I got comped to *wood Gold a couple years back.... now I have been able to maintain it.

FWIW... I gave my wife 3P and a couple weeks later she got a comp to *wood Gold.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I call and demand Gold on Starwood and they give it to me. The caveat is that I can only collect points with UA and not Starwood.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:12 pm

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by sobore
I got a Starwood gold earlier this year when I was a 2P, and then after making 1P I got another. How valuable can this be if they're giving it away like this?
Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Change your preference

Originally Posted by gnaget
I call and demand Gold on Starwood and they give it to me. The caveat is that I can only collect points with UA and not Starwood.
After several months, call Starwood and ask them to remove your MP number from your account. The Starwood Rep removed my friend's number, and she has been earning Starpoints through a complimentary Gold membership
Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UpstateNY
How valuable can this be if they're giving it away like this?
If they generate business, it's very valuable to them. Starwood and Hilton have gotten lots of business from us that they would not have if they hadn't give my wief the status.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:36 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
I have been 1K for 2 years and have never received a hotel status offer. I made Starwood gold for 2006 on my own, but will lose it for '07. I just made Hilton gold until 2008 on my own. After Starwood expires I may have to do a little begging and whining.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:42 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by UpstateNY
How valuable can this be if they're giving it away like this?
It's not. Imagine how pissed (and deservedly so) 1Ps would be if United just practically gave it away to anyone who asked (status matches don't count). Starwood Gold is embarassing.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
Received the Starwood package a few months ago and set it aside. Took it out recently to use it and realized that it hadn't been sent to me--it was in the name of my 13-year-old daughter (a 2P). Nice!
Old Sep 22, 2006, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
I was recently comped Starwood Gold. It was in their system in August when I stayed at one of their hotels, and the card arrived last week...
Old Oct 16, 2006, 8:20 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Here's an odd one that some of you might just hate: I just got a Gold status offer from Hilton tied to UA, and I have, of course, no status at all on UA except that I like to earn miles with them. I did just get a new Chase UA card, as if UA would really care about that. (Maybe they sell list to Hilton tho?) Not much flight activitiy this year (one trip, 2 segments, on US credited to UA!)

This thing came in the mail today from Hilton. I punched in the info on the site, and it gives me Gold status right now. What's not 100% clear is if I get to keep the status until '08 if I don't make the 5 stays between Nov 1 and Feb 28 that it suggests, but it looks like it could be. Each of those 5 stays qualifies for 1000 UA miles and 5000 HH bonus points, though (apparently even if I stay at Hampton), so I'll try to get a few of those in as it looks like I may actually have a few occasions to stay coming up.

So the mailing certainly does the job of making me look first at Hilton properties for these upcoming trips, but I highly doubt I'm going to suddenly be worth free Gold status all year. Or, maybe I'll get some upgrades along the way and find myself doing mattress runs at the end of '07 to keep the status.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:25 pm

Programs: SPG, UA, MR
I get constant mailings and emails from UA, but no comp Hotel status. At least I earned Plat at Marriott on my own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.