Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Is this the same plane?

As part of a MR I'm looking at flying the following two flights:

Sept 23
ORD-LGA, flight 374, 11:50am-2:55pm
LGA-ORD, flight 341, 3:40pm-5:10pm

I'd prefer to fly in and then out again on the very same plane so that I don't have to worry about losing my seat because of a delay.

How would one go about finding out which routes a particular plane flies?

Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by myfrogger
As part of a MR I'm looking at flying the following two flights:

Sept 23
ORD-LGA, flight 374, 11:50am-2:55pm
LGA-ORD, flight 341, 3:40pm-5:10pm

I'd prefer to fly in and then out again on the very same plane so that I don't have to worry about losing my seat because of a delay.

How would one go about finding out which routes a particular plane flies?

Thanks
In this case, you might go to the flight status page for the airline and check the gates for arrival of 374 and departure of 341
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:16 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Looks like a turn-around... 50-70 minutes seems about right.

BTW, I believe you can have seat issues on a turn-around. On a turn-around MR once, I had F confirmed departing, and Y confirmed returning. I very much suspect that I lost a BF upgrade to F on the return, because they called my name (I was late on the departing, and wasn't in the terminal... I was on the plane!), and when I didn't answer, they went to the next person.

Steve B.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

I went to the flight status check page and it only gave me gate information for the next day or so.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
In this case, you might go to the flight status page for the airline and check the gates for arrival of 374 and departure of 341
This is a good guideline, but it is not 100% foolproof, particularly given an airline which runs several flights out of an airport (as is the case with AA at LGA). In the event of a delay, mechanical problem, or other difficulty, there could always conceivably be a plane-swap, such that even if 374 normally turns into 341, it might not the day you fly, and it's not GUARANTEED.

Now, if this were at an airport like Bismarck, ND where the airline only has one plane on the ground at a time, then yes, it's pretty much guaranteed.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by myfrogger
I went to the flight status check page and it only gave me gate information for the next day or so.
Right. They don't assign gates a week ahead of time. I think the poster meant to look at the days you can see (normally yesterday, today, and tomorrow) and see if it looks like a turn-around on those days. At least you would have some information, which is better than none.

From the AA website, it seems that, at least yesterday and today, 374 does turn into 341.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:27 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Is the aircraft type the same? If so, that would support a same-plane hypothesis.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ua_to_ord
Is the aircraft type the same? If so, that would support a same-plane hypothesis.
Not as much as a different type would be contra-indicative.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by crhptic
This is a good guideline, but it is not 100% foolproof, particularly given an airline which runs several flights out of an airport (as is the case with AA at LGA). In the event of a delay, mechanical problem, or other difficulty, there could always conceivably be a plane-swap, such that even if 374 normally turns into 341, it might not the day you fly, and it's not GUARANTEED.

Now, if this were at an airport like Bismarck, ND where the airline only has one plane on the ground at a time, then yes, it's pretty much guaranteed.
Hopefully its the same flight crew too. If the flight crews are different, its more likely to swap equipment when the new flight crew is just as willing to get off the ground.

Interesting to note for today the delay on the incoming definitely affected the delay on the outbound.

Good luck.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. This will be my first MR. I can only get it down to about $.05 EQM though. I must be forgetting something unless others are saying that their $.02 prices include all miles, not just EQ-miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.