Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report: 5 hotels in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Trip report: 5 hotels in Europe

Just arrived from Europe (I think.... as Marriott does not consider Moscow and St. Pete as European locations so they don't participate in the European Sampler award... but that's another story).

1. Courtyard Moscow City Center - A pleasant surprise.
Very nice hotel. Modern, stylish. Comfortable and ample rooms some with distant views to the Kremlin. Well above average for the CY brand. Excellent staff who speaks pretty well english. Great service. Location is very good for sightseeing in a very quiet street 3 blocks from Tverskaya Av. However you have to walk at least 10' to find a restaurant. Not any metro station close. Prices at the hotel restaurant too expensive. Great cat.3 pick if you use points.

2. Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic - Did the job.
Perfect location overlooking St. Isaak's Cathedral. Nice room but beds a bit hard (Marriott's are better). Staff less polite and less trained than the CY Moscow. Their English was worse too. Aisle leading to my room had the same strong smell during all my stay (food?). Food and amenities expensive, as usual. Just fair for a cat. 5 in Russia.

3. Renaissance Amsterdam - Renewed my faith on the Ren brand
I liked this Ren much more. Very convenient location if you arrive or leave by train as it is within walking distance to main station. However, for sightseeing and dining, you must do some walking. Great staff, nice rooms, first class service. No views to talk about. Very pleased even though it is not a strong cat. 6. I visited the Marriott which is close to the museum area. Its location may be better for sightseeing and dining but I found the Ren nicer although I didn't checked the rooms.

4. Marriott Copenhagen - Best in Europe?
This was the highlight of my trip. What a nice property they have here. Obviously a solid cat. 5 that deserves spending your well earned points. Service, style, views, rooms, beds, restaurant, executive lounge.... everything perfect. You can't ask much more from a Marriott. The only downside is location. Even though it is very close to the main station if you arrive or leave by train, it is a good walk from the touristy areas and there are no restaurants within, let's say, 4 blocks. But you won't care too much about that considering the joy of staying here.

5. Marriott Champs Elysees - The big dissappointment
Before my trip I was already dreaming with my stay in what I thought and had read was one of the best Marriotts worldwide. Wrong. I didn't like hotel at all. The entrance is narrow with an electric staircase which takes you to the lobby. While you are on it, you can see the room service waiters preparing or cleaning dishes just there, a few feet from the main door. Got a room in two different stories, tiny bedroom downstairs and bathroom upstairs one floor. No view. IMO not worth the +$500 per night or the cat 7 tons of points. Location is good for sightseeing but other neighborhoods seem nicer and trendier for dining, people watching and just strolling around. Almost no westerners guests in the hotel.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:17 pm

Programs: Delta platinum Marriott Plat. Avis Preferred US Air Platinum
Nice report. Much appreciated.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 5MM, Lifetime Marriott Titanium Platinum Elite
I have stayed at the Marriott Champs Elysees twice and will be there again in a few weeks. As a Platinum I have been upgraded to a suite both times so obviously my experience was much different than yours. I do agree with those who say it's amongst the best properties in Europe.

Caltraveler
Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Ren Amsterdam - Really?? Though I liked the location (close to the train station) and the main street...I didn't really like the hotel that much. The room I was given was tiny (even for European standards) and bathroom just ok..there was no view to speak of either. The hallways were also sad looking w/ the exposed bricks. IMO, of course
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by lasnowgirl
Ren Amsterdam - Really?? Though I liked the location (close to the train station) and the main street...I didn't really like the hotel that much. The room I was given was tiny (even for European standards) and bathroom just ok..there was no view to speak of either. The hallways were also sad looking w/ the exposed bricks. IMO, of course
I got a really nice and large room so that may have helped to have a more positive opinion. ^ I'm not a big fan of the Ren brand so I wasn't expecting too much and that helped.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just got back from Russia. Stayed 1 night at the Marriott Grand Moscow (cat 4 visa cert), Marriott Royal Aurora Moscow and the Ren Baltic in SPB.

Additionally, we continued on to Helsinki (no Marriott properties) but stayed at the Hotel Kamp which is in Sheraton's Luxury Collection.

Based upon my experience (but my complete thoughts into a separate trip report so as to not hijack this thread):

1. Ren Baltic
2. Moscow Marriott Aurora
3. Hotel Kamp (Sheraton) - Helsinki
4. Moscow Marriot Grand

I've also stayed at the Ren in Amsterdam. Good location if you are there on vacation and want to see the sights. They gave us a terrible room (I specifically asked for a quite room) which was on the 3rd floor right over the hotel main entrance. After pointing out the issue with the front desk they moved us to a two room suite on the top floor with a roof top patio (the only one in the hotel). So they made it up to us so they get points for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.