Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AY in Fantastic Long Haul Experience Shocker !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have long considered AY's short-haul J service to be top-notch, really first class, and on a par with anything the world's top airlines can offer. Consistently.

Last night I took the AY flight from JFK-HEL and had the chance to try the new flat beds and service on the long-haul J service.

Both the seats and the service on board is really fantastic. Unbeatable.

The MD11's appear to have been completely refitted inside. Everything looks new and pristine on board. You would only know what plane you were on from the incredible noise on take-off. Sounds like you are inside the mechanics of a vacuum cleaner.

Seating in 2-3-2 across with 4 rows in the front cabin and 2 in the second cabin (almost identical to the 3 class 777). Only 2-2-2 in the first 2 rows where the fuselage narrows.

The seats seem quite wide and have an amazing 12 buttons to adjust the seat position, plus buttons to take you straight to the lie flat position and up to the seating position again. You can manoeuvre the seat around to all sorts of positions. The lie flat position is completely flat (no bumps) but a bit of an angle. Having said that, I didn't feel myself sliding down too much. There is a small privacy screen that goes up so you are hidden from view when lying down.

The best part was the proper pillows and duvets. None of the cheap, thin nonsence on BA's NCW. A big pillow and a white cotton duvet cover, with a thick kind of blanket thing inside.

Service was really first class. Drinks before departure, drinks after takeoff and constant refills. Hors d'oevres brought around, big meal trays with salads and hot starter. Big main course. Sachertorte then brought around.

Breakfast was also very substantial, I declined the main course, but plenty of fruit, pasties, breakfast cereals.

The crew were fantastic, constantly coming around and checking whether you wanted anything. The purser was a very matronly, ultra glamorous, Zha Zha Gabor lookalike, decked out in tons of make-up and with a big hair-do. She must have been stunning in her earlier years. Kind of how I imagine our own Pucci to look.

The toilets were nice and had a whole array of sets (toothbrushes, shaving kits) as well as after shave and creams and lots of nice smelling stuff.

All in all an excellent trip, and a fantastic product. Let down only by the fact that we had to depart JFK's T-8, and suffer the barren wilderness of the Admiral's Club. And the hour long delay to reach the take off runway at JFK, resulting in a missed connection at HEL.

All of which goes to show that AY really truly rocks.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Excellent ^ Glad you had a good trip - I was very impressed with AY last year on the old seats (the seat was the only let down, in fact) and since J is the highest cabin, it's nice that you get some of the 'extras' like you get in F on BA ^ With the new beds they sound really excellent. For the price, AY are brilliant IMHO (especially to Asia)!

Now, the follow-on question...did you treat yourself to BA F or not for the return?

PS I don't find this a 'Shocker' at all...for once
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:19 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Erm, bit like proper business class without the enhancements?
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-BOAC

Now, the follow-on question...did you treat yourself to BA F or not for the return? [/SIZE]
Still undecided on this. Complicated by the fact that I have 3 different return routings to JFK on hold, depending on what time I can get away from Moscow. Sometimes work sucks.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
The MD11's appear to have been completely refitted inside. Everything looks new and pristine on board. You would only know what plane you were on from the incredible noise on take-off. Sounds like you are inside the mechanics of a vacuum cleaner.
The first and last time I flew on an MD-11, part of the rear engine fell off just as we were lining up to take off at NRT. So I never got to hear the sound inside on take off
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irmster
The first and last time I flew on an MD-11, part of the rear engine fell off just as we were lining up to take off at NRT. So I never got to hear the sound inside on take off
Do any other reputable carriers - other than AY - still fly the MD11?
Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, BMI Diamond Club Silver, Flying Blue Platinum
Do any other reputable carriers - other than AY - still fly the MD11?
KLM and NWA still have them as well.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:26 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Originally Posted by AMSwing
KLM and NWA still have them as well.
NWA doesn't fly the M11, just the D10 until Jan/07.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
My experience of AY is also very positive, although I am yet to try the new seats. Looking forward to a future flight with them however. ^
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I also agree with all the positive reviews of AY J. The wine list has got to be the best of ANY business class (very nice vintage Joseph Perrier Cuvee Royale Brut and Nieport 20 Years Old Tawny being the highlights!). The catering is also great. Flying HEL-JFK last August, I immensely enjoyed the seasonal Finnish crayfish starter. And, perhaps the best reason to fly AY, HEL transfers are an absolute delight.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 27, 2006, 5:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
IThe crew were fantastic, constantly coming around and checking whether you wanted anything. The purser was a very matronly, ultra glamorous, Zha Zha Gabor lookalike, decked out in tons of make-up and with a big hair-do. She must have been stunning in her earlier years. Kind of how I imagine our own Pucci to look.

Ermmm...was that meant as a compliment for our Pucci?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:20 am

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
Happy to hear that Smirnoff enjoyed his AY J MD11 experience. It seems that the catering is good in all routes except the ones which fly back via BKK. AY really has a problem with BKK catering: the food is usually tasteless and doesn't offer anything memorable.

Right now it looks like the MD11's will be out in 2010-2012, depending on the A350 schedule. Seems that AY is very happy about the cabin width and possibility to variate seating from 8 to 9 abreast.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:15 am

The purser was a very matronly, ultra glamorous, Zha Zha Gabor lookalike, decked out in tons of make-up and with a big hair-do. She must have been stunning in her earlier years. Kind of how I imagine our own Pucci to look.
I hope Pucci doesn't read this or she'll have your guts for garters I know she said she worked for BCal but I don't think she has ever claimed to be matronly or in her 80s and I am sure she is still stunning
I pity you if you ever end up on one of her flights - might turn out to be a TFTG!!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I hope Pucci doesn't read this or she'll have your guts for garters I know she said she worked for BCal but I don't think she has ever claimed to be matronly or in her 80s and I am sure she is still stunning
I pity you if you ever end up on one of her flights - might turn out to be a TFTG!!
What would the title be?

Pucci sinks Smirnoff
Pucci has Smirnoff for breakfast
Smornoff not strong enough for Pucci

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.