Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Where on AC web site will I see which airlines does AC interline with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

The question asked in the title is obvious. I can not find this info. on the aircanada.com web site. I am looking for international non-Star Alliance airlines.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:45 am

Programs: AC*SE
Could find some information on Interline ET ticketing agreements...

- In February 2005, Air Canada completed its first Non-Star Interline Electronic Ticketing agreement with Emirates Airlines with many more to follow.
- Since January 2006, Interline ET ticketing agreements have been implemented with: British Airways, American Airlines, Delta, TAP, as well as 4 Canadian carriers - Bearskin, Central Mountain, Canadian North and First Air.

See:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/me...oducts/et.html
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:48 am

Programs: AC*SE
This one is even better - see the bottom of the page!

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ket/index.html
Old Aug 20, 2006, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
To the 2 posters, thank you for the information.

Of note, the list is out of date when it says that TAP is a non-Star alliance partner. America West, in the process of merging with US Air, is almost a Star Alliance partner.

I wonder if AC does interline with other One World and Sky Team airlines (and alliance airlines to be, in the 2 other airline global alliances, like JAL); perhaps only paper tickets can be offered in these scenarios. I wonder if AC interlines with ex-global alliance members (eg Mexicana) or almost ex-global airline alliance members (eg Aer Lingus). I would like to ask Andrew Yiu if he can provide such information, and also whether there is a specific section on the aircanada.com web site dealing with interlining as a whole, rather than interlining with other airlines involving etickets.

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; Aug 20, 2006 at 10:27 am
Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
There are a couple of levels of "interlining" you need to be clear about:

1. IATA membership of respective airlines. This means members must honour certain commercial dealings with one another, even if they are not Alliance parnters. This generally relates to tickets and tranferrability of full-fare tickets (endorsement) among member carriers. (The issue of paper versus e-tickets is not really related to interlining or IATA -- which is moving members towards full electronic ticketing, but not all members cannot do this yet -- but can be impacted by government and other regulations still to be resolved.)

2. Baggage interlining, which is still done on a carrier by carrier basis for a variety of commercial and/or competitive reasons.

Are you talking about ticketing or baggage interlining?
Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
As long as the connecting flights are on the same ticket/itinerary, won't AC always interline the baggage?
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder

Are you talking about ticketing or baggage interlining?
I thought that ticketing and baggage interlining were almost synonymous - I was not aware that 2 airlines can interline one way, but not the other way!
Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat/1MM, AC Basic (ex E, SE, VIA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
As of June 1, in a punitve, customer-hostile new policy move, AC will NOT interline checked baggage for any travel that is not on a single itinerary (even on their own metal). Thus, "interlining" for AC by definition, now means an interlined ticket.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:18 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by HereNow...
As of June 1, in a punitve, customer-hostile new policy move, AC will NOT interline checked baggage for any travel that is not on a single itinerary (even on their own metal). Thus, "interlining" for AC by definition, now means an interlined ticket.
I think they may have relented a bit on that policy. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ne#post6106051

And Air Canada's website seems to suggest that they will allow through-checking for travel on AC metal even if on separate tickets:

"Effective June 1, 2006 customers traveling on two separate tickets, connecting from Air Canada to another airline will only be checked in as far as the destination on their Air Canada ticket, with the same rule applying to their baggage."
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:38 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by HereNow...
That's not a biased take on the matter...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.