Search

Guns Being Stolen at ORD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
Guns Being Stolen at ORD

Article in today's Chicago Tribune. I sense some posturing by the police union here for some reason, but in light of the demand by TSA to check more bags, this is troubling.

As many of us have said before, TSA's focus on pax has always been in the wrong place. What takes place on the airport grounds out of direct observation is what should be watched -- and what TSA should be more concerned about. But no, we're going to have TSA staffers checking IDs and screening people at gates looking for water and deodorant instead of making sure that all areas of the airport are secure.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:35 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Lovely.

One of the only things that would enable hijackers to avoid a repeat of United 93 is brandishing weapons.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:38 am

But out checked baggage is totally safe! The TSA told us so! *snort*
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:52 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
People I know who travel with checked firearms used to refer to the tags put on the bag containing the firearm's locked case as "steal me" tags.

This is exactly why a full carry-on ban would be absolutely ridiculous. Even if the items are insured / the carriers assume responsibility for things like cameras and laptops, they're going to be stolen.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
People I know who travel with checked firearms used to refer to the tags put on the bag containing the firearm's locked case as "steal me" tags.
they no longer put "gun tags" on the outside of the bags.. because of that reason..
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Now that's comforting. They really need to make an example of people who steal from checked bags. A nice long mandatory prison term might get the word out.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
Follow-up article in today's paper.

Quote: "Once that employee is badged, they become a partner in security and are responsible for upholding the regulations," said Lara Uselding, a TSA spokeswoman.

About 53,000 employees--security screeners, airplane cleaners, mechanics, construction workers, deliverymen and many others--are approved to enter various "special identification areas" at O'Hare.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:57 am

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
"We remind all passengers that there is no risk to airport safety and security due to the reported thefts of firearms," said Wendy Abrams, spokeswoman for the Chicago Department of Aviation.

Huh? This is the craziest thing I have ever heard. This person should go to jail just for saying that.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:06 am

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Capite
"We remind all passengers that there is no risk to airport safety and security due to the reported thefts of firearms," said Wendy Abrams, spokeswoman for the Chicago Department of Aviation.

Huh? This is the craziest thing I have ever heard. This person should go to jail just for saying that.
Things being stolen in the secured area? Why, why, why....HOW CAN THIS BE???

The TSA, famous for hiring the best and the brightest, degreed professionals in law enforcement, investigation, counter-terrorism and psychological operations, had our airports locked down TIGHT! NOTHING could possibly get boosted with the ever vigilant eyes of the men and women of the TSA hovering, like a pack of ravening dogs, over our safety. Set like a steel trap to pounce on the first sign of nefarious activity, these saints in security garb who have forsaken fare more lucrative careers in either the fact food or housecleaning industries to allow us to sleep at night.

Ever seen the union boo-bahs unloading the baggage a O'Hare?

--PP
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:34 am

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Now that's comforting. They really need to make an example of people who steal from checked bags. A nice long mandatory prison term might get the word out.
Theft of a firearm I think is a CLass B felony in most jurisdictions. Proably Class A in anti-gun/fear-ridden areas like NYC, DC etc.

"Several handguns have been stolen from bags...sparking concern that the weapons are loose in what is supposed to be a secure part of the airport."

Yeah, and that's why I sent my luggage with the firearm and ammo with locks! I don't care is TSA is mandated with inspecting checked luggage, TSOs should never have access to a weapon in the sterile area without the owner being present! They aren't airport police nor are they sworn federal law enforcement a la the subject of another thread about the "federal officer".

Returned home via BHM yesterday and the ticket agent had me visually show him the gun and ammo cases (which were each in double locked cases) so he could put the red tags in the cases. In the past, I thread the elastic band through the zipper pulls and the bright orange lock on the suitcase and then tuck the tag itself into the small pocket that the luggage carry strap is in. There's two reasons, first, when the weapon is flagged by the CTX machine, the TSA screener can get to the red tag and see that the weapon was indeed declared. On the trip out, TSA put the little hologram sticker on the red tag to indicate they saw it. The other reason is the lock, the tag and the Privaseal are all immediate visual cues for me to take action right away should any one of them go missing.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:26 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
In NYC recently I watched as a screener wrote down all the info needed to identify my bag (that contained a gun). I asked him what he was doing and he said that he needed to make sure that the manifest for my flight contained the information that there was a gun loaded in the cargo section of the plane.

I immediately let him know that this was not right, and asked for a complaint form. He asked why I wanted that and would not give me one.

When I got to the screening area I asked the supervisor there for a complaint form and he asked about the problem. I explained to him what happened and his reply was that if I didnt want that to happen then then dont bring a gun to NYC.

I sent the complaint to the NRA/ILA (they are involved in the lawsuit against PAPD right now) and now I just have to call the TSA and get the address to send the complaint to.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
These idiots can say anything they want and get away with it, unchallenged by the media or the public. When they're trying to cover their own butts, it's "there is no risk to airport safety and security." When they're taking away your bagel and cream cheese (um, I mean bomb disguised as a bagel with cream cheese), it's "we must do this out of an abundance of caution."

They have a pat line either way, and none of makes an ounce of sense.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:45 pm

Grr. How dumb do these PR flacks think we are?

(No, wait, don't answer that.)

There's a reason that PR folks have gotten a bad name, and it is stuff like this.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Originally Posted by exerda
For some years a story has been circulating in certain communities that there was a time when baggage thowers at a particular OW hub in Europe would rip address labels off suitcases during holiday season. Said tags would be passed to associates, because it's easy to burgle a house when you know that the entire family is out of the country...
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chartreuse
For some years a story has been circulating in certain communities that there was a time when baggage thowers at a particular OW hub in Europe would rip address labels off suitcases during holiday season. Said tags would be passed to associates, because it's easy to burgle a house when you know that the entire family is out of the country...
The exact reason I use my office address on my bag tags. They still don't know where I live.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.