Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: Budget airline to fly LON-HKG for £75 + taxes one way

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Thought this may be of interest:

http://travel.guardian.co.uk/news/st...html?gusrc=rss

Total fare would be roughly £250 (£150 return and then say £100 in taxes and other charges). Still good value for econ travel to Hong Kong.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Heard this on 5 Live this morning. 10% of Y seats available for this price, apparently.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
The company behind this new airline, Oasis Hong Kong Airlines, is "governed by biblical principles" apparently.

I wonder if they'll have TV screens showing the direction of Bethlehem throughout the flight?

http://www.oasis-air.com/en/ourmission.asp
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:17 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by PhilH
I wonder if they'll have TV screens showing the direction of Bethlehem throughout the flight?
So they won't be showing Brokeback Mountain then?

Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Expensive ?

Originally Posted by theworld
Thought this may be of interest:

http://travel.guardian.co.uk/news/st...html?gusrc=rss

Total fare would be roughly £250 (£150 return and then say £100 in taxes and other charges). Still good value for econ travel to Hong Kong.

About £124 too expensive me thinks
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:20 am
Original Poster

There is already a Wiki entry on the airline:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_Hong_Kong_Airlines

Run by some Pastor Reverand something or other.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AJLondon
So they won't be showing Brokeback Mountain then?

Or the Da Vinci Code!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:28 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Allegedly they also have a business class offer. That is more likely to hit the big boys if it is up to standard.

However... I would really like to know what percentage of business class travellers will switch just on cost? Given that most want their FF perks then the challenge for any unknown start-up is high.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BA or bust
most want their FF perks
This is very true. I asked some of the big wigs at my place (mostly they are based in the US) who they fly with, and the answer was always along the lines of "xxx as I've got most miles with them".

I think one has to seriously piss off a customer in the upper tiers before they will simply switch carriers. I thought about trying another airline as I've reached gold for this year...probably won't hit GUF2 , but I have to start all over again. Collecting miles from work is most excellent for family holidays (along with hotel points) !

better the devil you know ?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
I wish them luck

I was looking at their planned schedule. A 744 into OAK? I don't really remember a 744 flying in or out of OAK.

I'm making an assumtion that given to this day pretty much all LCC's run a single fleet for optimization and maitenence.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by latitude
This is very true. I asked some of the big wigs at my place (mostly they are based in the US) who they fly with, and the answer was always along the lines of "xxx as I've got most miles with them".

I think one has to seriously piss off a customer in the upper tiers before they will simply switch carriers. I thought about trying another airline as I've reached gold for this year...probably won't hit GUF2 , but I have to start all over again. Collecting miles from work is most excellent for family holidays (along with hotel points) !

better the devil you know ?
Personally I switch when I reach the thresholds, so BA up to 1500 points then off to BMI for *A miles. And grudgingly to Flying Blue. That is for the flying. Cards follow same sequence Amex first then BMI Mastercard second. Works out quite nicely thanks very much.

What would it take to get me to dump BA... a lot!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BA or bust
However... I would really like to know what percentage of business class travellers will switch just on cost? Given that most want their FF perks then the challenge for any unknown start-up is high.
For LON-HKG, they also have another problem IMHO. From about January 2007, they will be facing competition from 11 daily non-stops from LHR:-
4 x CX
3 x BA
2 x VS
1 x QF
1 x NZ

That's a pretty formidable lineup against which to launch even a daily service to LGW.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
"The main selling point behind Oasis will be the pay-to-eat service."

Nicely worded. I just have this vision of Mr and Mrs Li cooking on a wok in seats 112P and 112Q to save the $$$...
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
For LON-HKG, they also have another problem IMHO. From about January 2007, they will be facing competition from 11 daily non-stops from LHR:-
4 x CX
3 x BA
2 x VS
1 x QF
1 x NZ

That's a pretty formidable lineup against which to launch even a daily service to LGW.
Quite. Some of the world's best business class products on offer, 3 different premium economy cabins and NZ who offer an excellent Y product (from what I have heard).

If you look at loads on LHR-HKG and return the demand is all up front. I had to fly home a short notice last night and there were 2 BA flights with J seats, nothing on CX and VS. A lucky waitlist clear on VS got me back, but this is a Wednesday night! Economy by comparison had plenty of seats on every airline.

I guess they are going to try and re-define the market a la the European LCC's. But a 12 hour long haul looks a lot different to a hop to the South of France.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:48 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by MetalDoggy
"The main selling point behind Oasis will be the pay-to-eat service."

Nicely worded. I just have this vision of Mr and Mrs Li cooking on a wok in seats 112P and 112Q to save the $$$...
Maybe they can get the same printer for the prayer cards that AS uses

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.