Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

New Choice Visa card - 24,000 point bonus!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2006, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't think this has been covered elsewhere.

Just found the flyer in my room last night. Apparently the same Visa as before, with BofA, but now when you apply between June 1 and Aug 31 you get a 24,000 point bonus. No annual fee, of course.

Bummer for me -- I got my card in March and only got an 8,000 point bonus. Methinks I shall call BofA and whine and wheedle a bit.

To apply -- 1-800-341-7589

http://www.choiceprivilegesvisa.com
Old May 17, 2006, 8:35 am

The link you gave only shows 8000 point bonus.

Is there a website for the 24K bonus?
Old May 17, 2006, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hmmm. You're right, that link only has the 8000 point offer.

I haven't tried the 800 number, but I re-read the flyer and it definitely states 24,000 points in the T&C's and they also reference 3 free nights.

It may be slow in getting the website updated, but calling should get the proper response.

Here's the wording from the T&C's:

"D. Three free nights is based on an 8,000 point Choice Privileges award night. A free night may require more points at certain hotels. For point level information, visit choiceprivileges.com. Please allow 4-6 weeks after your purchase [This is the first purchase requirement] for the 24,000 points to be deposited into your Choice Privileges account. To be eligible, you must apply for the credit card between June 1 and August 31, 2006 and use the card by November 1, 2006."

Semms pretty clear to me. Whoo-hoo!
Old May 17, 2006, 5:14 pm

I would bet website won't be updated until June 1 -- when the app period begins.
Old May 18, 2006, 1:13 am

Website showed 24k when I checked this morning and no mention of a starting date. Looks like it's already available.
Am I sleepdeprived and seeing things?!?

Mike

Last edited by RicoWrite; May 18, 2006 at 1:50 am
Old May 18, 2006, 1:43 am

And it looks like you don't have to wait for summer, you can apply today!

Or am sleep-deprived and seeing things?

Mike
Old May 18, 2006, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by RicoWrite
And it looks like you don't have to wait for summer, you can apply today!

Or am sleep-deprived and seeing things?

Mike
I am seeing double, but I don't think it's because I'm sleep-deprived.

Yes, the offer seems available right now, with 24K point bonus.

Also, isn't 24K enough for (4) free nights? Some Choice hotels have a 6K point redemption level (i.e. Comfort Inn Airport South, San Mateo CA)?
Old May 18, 2006, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mellowg
Also, isn't 24K enough for (4) free nights? Some Choice hotels have a 6K point redemption level (i.e. Comfort Inn Airport South, San Mateo CA)?
Yes, it is.

It's also most of the way to a free night at a 5* hotel in London, Paris, or Rome, which is where I'm going to be spending my points.
Old May 18, 2006, 1:11 pm

Outstanding find!

Thanks
Old May 19, 2006, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm getting no joy from either BofA or Choice.

My story is, since I'm a very good customer and I signed up just a short time before this bonus went into effect, it would be good customer relations to give me the bonus (or at least the difference between this bonus and the one I actually did get). BofA says call Choice; Choice says call BofA.

So I suggested that I could just cancel my existing card and apply for the new one, and they had a conniption fit -- warned me that it would show up on a report (my "permanent record"? ) and they would sieze my points.

Heavens!

I plan on calling BofA back and see if I can get a supervisor or soeone who can approve this. Yeah, I know it's not strictly kosher, but the whole thing happened just a couple of weeks after I signed up, and there is such a thing as keeping your good customers happy.

We'll see.
Old May 19, 2006, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigLar
So I suggested that I could just cancel my existing card and apply for the new one, and they had a conniption fit -- warned me that it would show up on a report (my "permanent record"? ) and they would sieze my points.
There's another option that may be available. I see nothing in the language (did I miss it?) that says you can only have one card, or that you can't earn the bonus if this is a second card.

If BofA is typical, they'll require a 3 month wait between applying for the first card and the second card, but since the promo lasts till Aug 31 that isn't necessarily ruled out (since it's more than 3 months from NOW until then, and you've certainly had the card now for a month or more, no?).

And if they let you do that, isn't that BETTER than them giving you an extra 16000 points? Because if you can actually get a second card, you'd get an extra 24000 points (since you'd already have your existing 8000 points)!

And since it's a no-annual-fee card, it wouldn't cost you any $. (Whether it would cost you anything in FICO score is a separate issue, but presumably no more than applying for a different card, and maybe less since it's with the same bank.)

I'm not very familiar with BofA on this. I do know that FirstUsa -- now Chase -- is "world famous" for letting people apply for multiple cards such as UA's and get the bonus miles for each of them...
Old May 20, 2006, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The only difficulty with the second card is that I would have two accounts, no? And there's no way to combine them.

I could apply for the card using my current number, but I think (not sure) they say any one person can only get one bonus.

Since it's the weekend, I'll haver plenty of time to brood about it and examine my options.
Old May 20, 2006, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigLar
The only difficulty with the second card is that I would have two accounts, no? And there's no way to combine them.
You'd have two credit card accounts, yes. But you'd only have on Choice Priveleges account (that both cards would be linked to).

This is common at other credit companies. During the time I've had a no-fee 1 mile/2$ UA credit card from First Usa (now Chase), I got a first-year-fee-waived 1 mile/$ UA credit card from them, used them both for a short time (but mainly obviously only the 1 mile/$ card) for iDines, and both posted to the same UA FF account just fine. So there's no offhand reason why it wouldn't be possible at BofA if they allow it. It's therefore mainly a policy question, not a techincal one.

As for combining them: Pick one to put all your activity on after you satifsy the requirements of the bonus on both of them. The other will thus become inactive after that. Down the line (no hurry), you can call them to ask them to either cancel one or merge them. Again, at other credit card companies (both First Usa and MNBA) I've had no problem merging cards when one that I used was new and one I no longer used had the longer credit history (they can merge such as to get the credit history and perhaps credit limit of the card you're dropping onto the card you're keeping). So whether BofA can do this is again mostly a policy question. (Which it would take someone with a lot of expereince with BofA to answer, whereas I have never had a BofA card until the last couple months.)
Old May 23, 2006, 5:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
I asked BOA yesterday, they said I have to apply a new one in order to get bonus! they aslo told me that I can merge them later!

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You'd have two credit card accounts, yes. But you'd only have on Choice Priveleges account (that both cards would be linked to).

This is common at other credit companies. During the time I've had a no-fee 1 mile/2$ UA credit card from First Usa (now Chase), I got a first-year-fee-waived 1 mile/$ UA credit card from them, used them both for a short time (but mainly obviously only the 1 mile/$ card) for iDines, and both posted to the same UA FF account just fine. So there's no offhand reason why it wouldn't be possible at BofA if they allow it. It's therefore mainly a policy question, not a techincal one.

As for combining them: Pick one to put all your activity on after you satifsy the requirements of the bonus on both of them. The other will thus become inactive after that. Down the line (no hurry), you can call them to ask them to either cancel one or merge them. Again, at other credit card companies (both First Usa and MNBA) I've had no problem merging cards when one that I used was new and one I no longer used had the longer credit history (they can merge such as to get the credit history and perhaps credit limit of the card you're dropping onto the card you're keeping). So whether BofA can do this is again mostly a policy question. (Which it would take someone with a lot of expereince with BofA to answer, whereas I have never had a BofA card until the last couple months.)
Old May 23, 2006, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyliu88
I asked BOA yesterday, they said I have to apply a new one in order to get bonus! they aslo told me that I can merge them later!
I will do that if it works.

A couple more details, please, like did you call BofA with the number we have (1-800-341-7589) or did you go through Choice (it's a selection on their phone menu) or what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.