Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing my own food: What's ok?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2006, 3:11 pm

Programs: Back at the bottom
Originally Posted by United_Flyer3
20 burgers patties and 20 cheese slices. The box was like as long as my arm!
He gobbled it all in like 5 minutes, it was unbelieveable.

I'm ashamed to say it, but the guy was smaller than me, and im only about 198lbs.
I assume he was coming from California (slight chance of AZ or NV). Was it a west-east transcon? It's possible that this was his last In-N-Out for a long time, and so he was stocking up.
Old May 9, 2006, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta, American, United, Virgin Atlantic, BA, JetBlue, SW, etc.
In training

He was probably a food athlete--going for one of those contests which are increasingly popular. The winners are often rather slender folks. However, they have to keep their tummies stretched, so don't begrudge him a workout.
Old May 9, 2006, 3:27 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Originally Posted by Lindisfarne
Alcohol that you intend to drink in flight is a no-no.
discretion is a win-win
Old May 9, 2006, 3:27 pm

Programs: IHG, BA
Originally Posted by findingneema
I assume he was coming from California (slight chance of AZ or NV). Was it a west-east transcon? It's possible that this was his last In-N-Out for a long time, and so he was stocking up.
It was on a LAS-LAX flight.
There's a In-N-Out not far from the airport at LAS.
Its the first time I've ever seen a real 20x20, only ever seen pics of it before.
Old May 9, 2006, 5:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Its the first time I've ever seen a real 20x20, only ever seen pics of it before.
HERE are pictures and a story of what it's like to eat a 20X20. And here is a picture of the 100X100, let's see you bring that on the plane!

Last edited by BLI-Flyer; May 9, 2006 at 5:25 pm Reason: Update link to story and pictures
Old May 9, 2006, 5:53 pm

Programs: Back at the bottom
I guess he didn't think he could find that burger goodness in LA.

As to the original question, I mix my own trail mix at home (peanuts, almonds, chocolate chips, raisins, and orange-flavored cranberries), and that is awesome on the plane (and fun to share). Sometimes I'll also make a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich for the longer flights. It tastes just fine at room temperature.
Old May 9, 2006, 6:03 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
HERE are pictures and a story of what it's like to eat a 20X20. And here is a picture of the 100X100, let's see you bring that on the plane!
The pictures must not do them justice, I guess. The 20x20 just doesn't look *that* big. I have to step back and realize that this is solid meat before the size really hits me.

There's got to be a way to ask for extra lettuce/tomato, too--that would help a lot, I think.
Old May 9, 2006, 6:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I'm dying to go to In-N-Out burger! I think it's terrible that I live in New York and not LA
Old May 9, 2006, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I'm dying to go to In-N-Out burger! I think it's terrible that I live in New York and not LA

terrible that you live in ny and not LA,,, easily rectified,, CO goes to LA doesnt it.. all because of a hamburger??
Old May 9, 2006, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by nytango
terrible that you live in ny and not LA,,, easily rectified,, CO goes to LA doesnt it.. all because of a hamburger??
I already looked up that the nearest In-N-Out from LAX is near the Long Term Lot... this is probably the only situation where CO's policy of serving food will fail me
Old May 10, 2006, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
If it was anything like a passenger next to me on one flight, you can surely bring anything!
He had been to In-n-Out Burger and got himself a 20x20 and ate it on the plane
Geez, this guy likes his In-n-Out. The last time I left CA for the East Coast I got a 2x2 and fries and was perfectly satisfied. That'll hold me until July!
Old May 10, 2006, 1:22 am

whatever you bring, please don't bring a meatball sandwich; sat next to someone that had one sitting out on his tray for hours, stunk up the whole plane. and that was business class too.

another time someone opened a can of tuna and started making sandwiches for about 5 other people nearby. the plane smelled like an aquarium

there should be rules about not having food that can be smelled beyond your seat.
Old May 10, 2006, 1:50 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Lindisfarne
Alcohol that you intend to drink in flight is a no-no.
That's actually up to the airline. The FAA does not prohibit passengers bringing their own alcoholic drinks, they only require that it be served by a crewmember so that the crewmember can cut-off anyone who becomes intoxicated.
Old May 10, 2006, 2:13 am

Programs: IHG, BA
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
100x100 - I didn't think anything like that could ever exist.
Just imagine if someone had that on the plane.
You could feed a packed 737 with that thing!!
Old May 10, 2006, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by windwalker
discretion is a win-win
True. I should plan ahead on my late-night flights. A good gin-and-tonic will usually put me to sleep but airlines rarely carry Beefeater Gin which I prefer.

I'd have to remember to squeeze my lime into the gin, and then add the tonic right before getting on the flight so it stays fizzy. Or else pour it into a fizzy water bottle. And bring my own ice - it takes too long to wait for drinks on late flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.