Which city in Alaska?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which city in Alaska?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2006, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Which city in Alaska?

My partner and I would like to take a long weekend trip up to Alaska. Never been there and would like to see the sun around the clock. (I know it's silly!) We generally like cities, restaurants, etc. We do enjoy scenery. (Vancouver is one of our favorite places.)

So my question is: where should be fly to? Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau? I was thinking Anchorage, but two FAs on AS recommended Juneau.

Any help is appreciated.
Old May 4, 2006, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
Juneau is kind of like Vancouver on steroids- the mountains are taller and it rains more. It's probably the best hiking city in the world, if you ask me.

If you really want to see the sun around the clock, you'll need to head above the Arctic Circle (i.e. BRW). Nome is probably close enough. You can play midnight golf in Fairbanks. We have light until 9 right now in Juneau and are getting more every day.

Restaurants- Anchorage is probably your best bet. Although the best restaurant in Alaska is in Sitka IMO.
Old May 4, 2006, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lawchild
Juneau is kind of like Vancouver on steroids- the mountains are taller and it rains more. It's probably the best hiking city in the world, if you ask me.

If you really want to see the sun around the clock, you'll need to head above the Arctic Circle (i.e. BRW). Nome is probably close enough. You can play midnight golf in Fairbanks. We have light until 9 right now in Juneau and are getting more every day.

Restaurants- Anchorage is probably your best bet. Although the best restaurant in Alaska is in Sitka IMO.

Thanks!

That gives us some info for an informed choice!

Old May 4, 2006, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

So thanks to suggestions from lawchild and 2 AS FAs we've decided on Juneau for July. Since the AS fares were really high (around $700 from the SF Bay Area for a coach fare) I decided to use our miles for 2 F seats (which we usually save for trans-oceanic F seats).

Now I'd like to get some hotel suggestions. I haven't checked any availability. I like the Four Seasons or W's or St. Regis or something along those lines. Don't know what's there. We could also do the non-luxury but always good hotels like the HI Express, Hampton Inn, etc. Or an independent nice B&B.

Thanks for more help.

We really look forward to our visit and I'll probably post a thread in the community forum to see if any JNU locals want to have a mini get=together when we're there.
Old May 4, 2006, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although the best restaurant in Alaska is in Sitka IMO.
Is that Ludwigs? I'm going to be in AK and Sitka for the first time in July.
Old May 4, 2006, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
Nobbi, great to hear that you are going to make the trek to Juneau! You won't regret it.

Hotel suggestions: I think local B&Bs are your best bet. There are few national chains of any repute here. I'd recommend Alaska's Capital Inn downtown or Pearson's Pond Luxury Inn & Garden Spa out in the Mendenhall Valley (closer to the airport). I've never stayed in a hotel here but friends stayed at Pearson's Pond and absolutely loved it. I've been inside the Alaska Wolf House and it looked pretty neat.

As far as a mini get-together, count me in!
Old May 4, 2006, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by birdstrike
Is that Ludwigs? I'm going to be in AK and Sitka for the first time in July.
Yup. ^ You might want to make reservations now as it's a pretty small place.
Old May 6, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Best Restaurant in Alaska? In Sitka?

That would be Ludvig's in SIT. GLORIOUS. Not the best, in my opinion....but fabulous. Here's a link for current restaurant reviews around the state. They haven't added Ludvig's, which represents a serious character flaw on their part. But they're in therapy. HA! Here's the link:

www.toursaver.com/alaska-restaurant-reviews.php
Old May 6, 2006, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG
hotels in Juneau

Nobbi, Hotel suggestions: I think local B&Bs are your best bet. There are few national chains of any repute here. I'd recommend Alaska's Capital Inn downtown or Pearson's Pond Luxury Inn & Garden Spa out in the Mendenhall Valley (closer to the airport). I've never stayed in a hotel here but friends stayed at Pearson's Pond and absolutely loved it. I've been inside the Alaska Wolf House and it looked pretty neat.
I like what used to be the Aspen--now Extended Stay Something-or-other. Free wireless. Big rooms. Comfy beds. Really--that's where I stay.

Hope you'll ride the tram up to the top of Mt. Roberts, go whale-watching with Four Seasons Marine--and drive out to the Shrine of St. Therese north of town. It's a beautiful place and we watched whales from the shore.
Old May 8, 2006, 2:00 pm

What is the name of that restaurant?
Old May 8, 2006, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by coplatsat
What is the name of that restaurant?
See posts 5 and 8 in this thread.
Old May 9, 2006, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, Delta
Nobbi, I'm so jealous. We were in Juneau for only a day since we were on a cruise. Our favorite meal of the whole trip was the salmon bake. It may have been the Gold Creek Salmon Bake. You don't need to bring your appetite. The food will make you hungry enough. I'm not the biggest fish eater, but that salmon was the best! Have fun.
Old May 10, 2006, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by naharragt
Nobbi, I'm so jealous. We were in Juneau for only a day since we were on a cruise. Our favorite meal of the whole trip was the salmon bake. It may have been the Gold Creek Salmon Bake. You don't need to bring your appetite. The food will make you hungry enough. I'm not the biggest fish eater, but that salmon was the best! Have fun.

Thanks! We'll look for it.

So I was finally able to get a booking at Pearson's Pond. Availability for hotels seems very low. Even uswing a search engine like side kick came back with a small handfull. Nothing like in other cities I've been to.

But we're excited!

Thanks to all again for the great tips.
Old May 10, 2006, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I was very disappointed when I was in Anchorage last week---it seems to have little to do for tourists other than museums and restaurants. If you fly into ANC, head south along Turnagain Arm to Girdwood, a little skiing village with some great B&Bs...and wonderful scenery and restaurants year round. A drive through the nearby tunnel to Whittier, followed by a glacier cruise (in season---we just missed the May 15 start date for the short cruises) is also enjoyable.

ANC has the most flights to the lower 48, but to experience much of Alaska, you have to rent a car and head outside the city.
Old May 10, 2006, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup. ^ You might want to make reservations now as it's a pretty small place.
Reservations secured! Thanks for the suggestion ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.