Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Philadelphia to Portland, Ore.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
Thumbs up Philadelphia to Portland, Ore.

US Airways (NYSE: LCC - News) announces the start of new service beginning on June 1 from its Philadelphia hub to Portland, Ore. .... US Airways will provide the service (operated by America West) with the Airbus A320 aircraft, which has capacity for 150 passengers (12 first class and 138 coach class).

Here is the article

I think this is another step in the right way for the NEW US Airways!!
Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:27 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Something we've all been waiting for quite a while. It's only made possible because they are using US-West aircraft and existing facilities at PDX that were already there (HP). US-East, prior to the merger, had plans to go back to PDX in 2001, but of course everything changed after 9/11.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS Gold
Originally Posted by RICflyer
US Airways (NYSE: LCC - News) announces the start of new service beginning on June 1 from its Philadelphia hub to Portland, Ore. .... US Airways will provide the service (operated by America West) with the Airbus A320 aircraft, which has capacity for 150 passengers (12 first class and 138 coach class).

Here is the article

I think this is another step in the right way for the NEW US Airways!!

Why a red eye? Basically makes it unusable for PDX based business traveler. Should have done an AM PDX-PHL and PM PHL-PDX. What a waste.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:56 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by iflypdx
Why a red eye? Basically makes it unusable for PDX based business traveler. Should have done an AM PDX-PHL and PM PHL-PDX. What a waste.
It is all about re-positioning aircraft. Not sure if a red-eye is always a waste to business travelers. I am pretty sure many business travelers who spent the week (maybe M-Th) would love to fly back Th night and get to sleep alittle Friday morning and had Friday at home, instead of the normal 8am-4pm flight...

It is a great step in the right direction.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
It is all about re-positioning aircraft. Not sure if a red-eye is always a waste to business travelers. I am pretty sure many business travelers who spent the week (maybe M-Th) would love to fly back Th night and get to sleep alittle Friday morning and had Friday at home, instead of the normal 8am-4pm flight...

It is a great step in the right direction.
Yea seriously - many business travelers love red-eyes.

At least PDX-PHL is a long enough for a few good hours of sleep.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by sts603
Yea seriously - many business travelers love red-eyes.

At least PDX-PHL is a long enough for a few good hours of sleep.
East Cost travelers love red-eyes because they get them home sooner, agreed. However, West Coast travelers do not. In general, West Coast travelers do not like to take red-eyes and then try to conduct business the same day. The PHL-PDX isn't too bad, as it allows for a full day of business and an early dinner.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
The inter-mingling begins

Interesting. This is the first route I'm aware of that is clearly a US East route (given PHL) but will be operated by mainline HP aircraft and crews.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K; AA Lifetime Plat (8+ MM); Frontier 100K Elite; UA Lifetime Gold (1+ MM)
It's my understanding that US intends to migrate the transcon longhauls primarily to HP aircraft and crews. Not 100% positive, but that's my understanding. So setting up PDX/PHL that way fits in...
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by globaldude
It's my understanding that US intends to migrate the transcon longhauls primarily to HP aircraft and crews. Not 100% positive, but that's my understanding. So setting up PDX/PHL that way fits in...
My guess is PHL/CLT-LAX/SFO will stay US as the A321 is well suited to this route. Good aircraft capacity - lots of F - there is paid F and lots of full-fare Y on these routes.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:42 am

The red eye may not suit west coast people, but at least it is a start, the 8:30 westbound is great, I'm sure if the loads are good they will look at adding more times.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:03 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
I'm a West business traveler who loves red-eyes. Instead of burning a day traveling, I can hop on a jet around 10, get to the East hub early-morning and land at my destination by mid-morning. Even taking the first AM flight out of SFO means I've wasted an entire business day in the air.

It's not like this will be the only PHL-PDX flight ever. If the loads are solid and the demand is there, I'm sure they'll be looking at adding a morning flight for the Euro bank. Remember, a morning flight east from PDX means you have to have a jet RON there - unless they turn it around from a 6 a.m. flight from Phoenix or something.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
I'm a West business traveler who loves red-eyes. Instead of burning a day traveling, I can hop on a jet around 10, get to the East hub early-morning and land at my destination by mid-morning. Even taking the first AM flight out of SFO means I've wasted an entire business day in the air.

It's not like this will be the only PHL-PDX flight ever. If the loads are solid and the demand is there, I'm sure they'll be looking at adding a morning flight for the Euro bank. Remember, a morning flight east from PDX means you have to have a jet RON there - unless they turn it around from a 6 a.m. flight from Phoenix or something.
God Bless you for being able to function after a red eye. I'm not one of the lucky ones who can sleep well on airplanes. The other problem, is being able to check into your hotel at 8 am, when check in time is 3pm. If you could do that and take a short nap/shower, it would make it easier.

I am really happy that this route has been added, it is good for PDX, just not ideal for me.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
This is great. So many more options now.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by globaldude
Wouldn't this interfere with the longer flights that senior US crews may want to get so they have more hours? Seems unfair to give longer flights to HP crew...
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
I hate red-eyes and specifically avoid them at all costs, even on business trips (practically unavoidable to Europe, however). Perhaps you're right that a second flight will be added to allow Euro connections, but I would have thought that they would have wanted to go for the Euro connections right away, especially with the high season kicking in soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.