Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Duty Free shops a waste of Money

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Are Duty Free shops a waste of Money

You go into a duty free shop and the price of booze is higher than in the normal Booze stores in Australia. Duty Free does not mean that you can take unlimited amounts back into The United States or wherever you are from.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:34 am
spd

Programs: Diamond Club Silver, various other low ranking levels on all sorts of loyalty schemes
Originally Posted by CLELOSER
You go into a duty free shop and the price of booze is higher than in the normal Booze stores in Australia. Duty Free does not mean that you can take unlimited amounts back into The United States or wherever you are from.
Depends on the countries you are flying between. Not everyone can get to Australia to buy booze. :P

My regular trips from the UK to Norway allowed me to buy cigarettes for a friend at a significant discount, so I can't say they are a waste of time.

Sean
Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What little I've priced of duty-free stuff it's more expensive than you will find by shopping around.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:16 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There is often 50% difference in price from one duty-free store to another (and that is from casual inspection). Only cigarettes and some booze are generally cheaper, electronics and perfumes are often the same or more expensive. But there are some great bargains to be had at times. Some cities have much cheaper duty free (BKK, HKG, AKL, DXB for example). Even within the US dutry-free is cheaper in ORD than in LAX or MIA (presumably due to the destinations from these cities). LHR can be double the ORD price for example. It really is a case of needing to be informed before shopping.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Israel: Booze and cigarettes are a great buy in the Duty Free. Perfumes are available at good, not great, prices. Electronics are good prices by Israeli standards but not by American.

Everything else sold at the various Duty Free shops in TLV are very overpriced.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:10 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
We've gotten a few bargains in liquor when there were sales, but in general have not found any bargains in duty-free. I guess cigarettes are, but we don't know anyone who smokes anymore.

Somehow the price advantage of not having to pay the import taxes got added into the sellers' profit margin in most countries.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Gold MM , HH-diamond, spg gold,hertz 5 star
know the prices

As the other posters have stated, the prices are not that good in most places, but if you know what you want and what the prices are at home or where ever you are going to or coming from, THAT will make the difference.
We haven't bought any booze in several years at duty free, as the prices in the cities we are visiting are usually cheaper.

row1a
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:37 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
It depends on what you are buying and where you are taking it. For examply on my recent trip, buying duty free in Amsterdam to take into Turkey was a great deal given how expensive alcohol is in Turkey (Sky Vodka $10 vs $45). However, coming back to the US it wasn't much of a savings at all.

Also some airports and locations are better deals than others. Airline duty free is usually pretty cheap but the selection is much more limited.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:22 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
For me, on flights to Canada, the $25 I pay for a carton of cigarettes (for my mom) is definitely less than the $60 she pays for a carton. Booze, too, is about half the price. I can get a $15 bottle of liquor that will cost $25 or more in the liquor board. MSP's duty-free is the one I frequent most often.

EDIT: To add, for perfumes and such, you're better off buying online from a reputable seller, like scentiments.com
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I've never found duty free stores to be a good deal. I don't smoke, so I have no idea about cigarette prices. I can buy alcohol just as cheap, if not cheaper, at the local discount liquor warehouse chain where I live.

However, I have found duty free stores good for blowing the last of the local currency I'm carrying. Last year returning from the UK I shopped the duty free mall at LGW and got rid of my last £50 and picked up a few last-minute items to bring home for friends and family. But I still prefer to do most of my shopping in foreign countries at places other than the airport. And I typically only buy items that I really can't find back home.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA
I find the duty free in LGW usually works well for Whisky (the real kind). There's almost always a buy two get 10 pounds off sale. Typically I get 1 L for the price I'd pay for 750 mL at home. Of course you're not going to find a bottle from an obscure distillery that you'd find in a shop in the city.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:52 pm

I think it depends on what you are buying. You can find very good deals on DF on certain top-shelf brands of alcohol, for example, but not on other brands.

I buy mostly cosmetics duty free, and find that there are deals to be had when they come in promotional (DF only) packages. Some things can't generally be had (such as whitening products) in my own country and only in Asia. In that case, DF is just a convenient place to buy these things.

I also have had good deals when there have been DF promotions ("sales" if you will).

As someone stated before, the key is knowing the prices beforehand.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by CIMorse
I .... Of course you're not going to find a bottle from an obscure distillery that you'd find in a shop in the city.
At LHR you can get some very obscure Scotch at the World of Whisky (or some name like that); really a stunning collection, at all price points (up to USD 10,000 per bottle, for those who really need that special present). Better selection and prices than you will get anywhere in London. I presume they also have a store at LGW.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I'll buy make-up there - for the good brands, it can be difficult to find them cheaper than in duty free. But as previous posters have said, it does help to know the retail prices before buying.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ssullivan
However, I have found duty free stores good for blowing the last of the local currency I'm carrying. Last year returning from the UK I shopped the duty free mall at LGW and got rid of my last £50 and picked up a few last-minute items to bring home for friends and family.
That's what they count on!!! We always save the currency from our trips to use for the next trip. Since we deal mostly with Euros and Pounds, it's a good bet we'll back soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.