Wiki Posts
Search

Gion Matsuri 2006-Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Gion Matsuri 2006-Need Advice

We'll be in Osaka on July 10 and July 11 (wish we could be in Kyoto July 17 for the parade, but just can't work it out) and I'm trying to figure out which would be the better day, if there is one, to visit Kyoto. I've searched here as well as some of the Kyoto visitor sites and what I've been able to determine is that float construction for Gion Matsuri runs from 7/10-7/14. My inital impulse is to visit on 7/11 as perhaps some floats might be near completion. Or does it matter much? Are their specific rituals involved in float construction that occur as construction begins or ends? Can you view the floats being built or are they shrouded in secrecy?

Also seeking a bit of local knowledge about festival-related activities, such as areas where street booths may be set up, restaurants featuring food associated with the festival, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Chapel Hill Guy; Mar 14, 2006 at 3:42 pm
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:50 am

I lived and worked in the area last year and know it well. Between July 11-14, it really doesnt matter what day you go to Kyoto. It would be best if you could be there for the start of the festival. A great time, thousands of people and great food. If you have any questions about the area, please feel free to PM me, I spent my off days either going to Osaka, Kyoto or Kobe.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by g24kb8
I lived and worked in the area last year and know it well. Between July 11-14, it really doesnt matter what day you go to Kyoto. It would be best if you could be there for the start of the festival. A great time, thousands of people and great food. If you have any questions about the area, please feel free to PM me, I spent my off days either going to Osaka, Kyoto or Kobe.
Wouldn't it be better to answer in the forum so others can benefit? Restricting good advice to PM kind of eliminates the purpose of this group.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Mar 15, 2006 at 2:13 pm
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:43 pm

Sorry, respond to the thread if you are interested in more info, PM is not necessary just a bad habit.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Sorry, respond to the thread if you are interested in more info, PM is not necessary just a bad habit.
Yes, definitely interested in more info as outlined in my OP. Best areas of city to visit during festival for sights, food, activities, etc.? I've never been to Kyoto.

Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:59 pm

Well the best area to be during the Gion Festival would be Kawaramachi Dori and Karasuma Dori.
That is Kawaramachi Street and Karasuma Street. They are the main shopping areas of Kyoto. On the mountain side of the Kamo River(Kamogawa), if you go down side streets(Gion area) you will run into random groups of people who are part of the festival doing chants or whatever they do during the festival, it is crowded but nothing compared to the other side of the Kamo river. From my recollection it was Karasuma Dori where all the food stalls were, and there were a few hundred of them from yakisoba, takoyaki to taiyaki. Unbelievable ammount of people, alcohol for sale on the street, had an atmosphere of Saturdays pregame tailgaiting in Gainesville. Now what I did was walk around this area, went to side streets and ran into random floats where groups of people were doing their various chants.

On the mountain side of the Kamo River, in the Gion area there are two notable restaurants, not necessarily for the festival but famous in Kyoto. The first one is called Issen-yo-shoku, as you walk towards the mountain, it will be on the left side of the street as you walk along Kawaramachi Dori in the Gion District. The other famous shop, I cannot recall the name, but it is in the Gion district as well, and as you walk towards the mountains on Kawaramachi Dori, it will be on the right side. You will notice it immediately, all it sells is green tea products and is famous for its Matcha(green tea) desserts. There will be a huge line but it is worth the wait, they have specials for the festival too. The line moves so it is not much of an inconveince.

Coming from Osaka, if you are staying in Umeda, take the Hankyu Line from Umeda Hankyu to Kawaramachi Hankyu in Kyoto. You can also take the Keihan line in Yodoyabashi or Kyobashi in Osaka and take that to Sanjo Keihan station in Kyoto, those two stations are near each other and will lead you in the area where the fesitival takes place. It takes about 45min to an hour from Osaka to Kyoto, the trains will be packed so expect to stand but an easy ride, I have done dozens of times. Enjoy and let me know if you have any other inquiries.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:11 pm

I did some research on Kyoto, the Green Tea restaurant is actually called Gion Tsujiri, it is on Shijo Street on the south side of the street going west or towards the mountains.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 5:19 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Well the best area to be during the Gion Festival would be Kawaramachi Dori and Karasuma Dori.
That is Kawaramachi Street and Karasuma Street. They are the main shopping areas of Kyoto. On the mountain side of the Kamo River(Kamogawa), if you go down side streets(Gion area) you will run into random groups of people who are part of the festival doing chants or whatever they do during the festival, it is crowded but nothing compared to the other side of the Kamo river. From my recollection it was Karasuma Dori where all the food stalls were, and there were a few hundred of them from yakisoba, takoyaki to taiyaki. Unbelievable ammount of people, alcohol for sale on the street, had an atmosphere of Saturdays pregame tailgaiting in Gainesville. Now what I did was walk around this area, went to side streets and ran into random floats where groups of people were doing their various chants.

On the mountain side of the Kamo River, in the Gion area there are two notable restaurants, not necessarily for the festival but famous in Kyoto. The first one is called Issen-yo-shoku, as you walk towards the mountain, it will be on the left side of the street as you walk along Kawaramachi Dori in the Gion District. The other famous shop, I cannot recall the name, but it is in the Gion district as well, and as you walk towards the mountains on Kawaramachi Dori, it will be on the right side. You will notice it immediately, all it sells is green tea products and is famous for its Matcha(green tea) desserts. There will be a huge line but it is worth the wait, they have specials for the festival too. The line moves so it is not much of an inconveince.

Coming from Osaka, if you are staying in Umeda, take the Hankyu Line from Umeda Hankyu to Kawaramachi Hankyu in Kyoto. You can also take the Keihan line in Yodoyabashi or Kyobashi in Osaka and take that to Sanjo Keihan station in Kyoto, those two stations are near each other and will lead you in the area where the fesitival takes place. It takes about 45min to an hour from Osaka to Kyoto, the trains will be packed so expect to stand but an easy ride, I have done dozens of times. Enjoy and let me know if you have any other inquiries.
I've had a little exposure to the Gion Matsuri too, seen it three times and had a crash course from my ex-GF's ultra conservative trad Kyoto family the first time around. It actually reminds me a lot of the European carnival season with all the community volunteer input and religious overtones. As the weather will most likely be extremely hot and humid it's good to prepare for that.

For central Kyoto summer dining I would still recommend the ( Kamo ) riverside terraces ( Noryo Yuka ):

http://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/kp/english...treet.html#no1

The green tea ice cream is truly nice although I've had better in SW Korea. We just bought some from a street vendor in Gion.
Old May 22, 2008, 10:04 pm

Some great info there, and something I was not aware of.

I fly into NRT on July 11 (so will be around the same time as you ) and will then be trekking from there, to Osaka... Will be in Osaka 11-12, then staying 1 night in Kyoto (the night of July 12) in a traditional Japanese hotel..
Old May 23, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flashware
I fly into NRT on July 11 (so will be around the same time as you )
You'll be there in 2006? Neat trick!
Old May 23, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Calcifer
Beat me to it.
Old May 23, 2008, 11:12 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
You've never noticed the guys who suddenly appear in front of Kinkakuji - both fists raised above their heads in triumph....?

"Yatta!"
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:40 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Delta Gold, Avis First, Hertz Gold Plus, Glee Club, Yearbook
Um, 3 years later...

I'll be in Kyoto for July 1-4, then July 6-7. That's earlier than the main days, but still in time for some early parts of the festival, per what I've read of it.

How/where can we find kippuri or other GM aspects?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I'm sure it would be a cinch with a Tardis!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:01 pm

bumping this thread. Hope OP does not mind...
Is there any festivities from July 1 to 4? I know it is MUCH earlier than when the festival is supposed to be (July 17) but hoping to catch some festivities while there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.