Search

Mobile phone rental at Narita Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
Mobile phone rental at Narita Airport?

Hello!

I've been browsing the web for information on renting a mobile phone while I am in Tokyo. There are several companies that rent mobile phones, but they all have drastically different per day charges and airtime charges. After looking through about 4 different rental companies webpages, it looks like Vodafone Global Rental will be the best deal for me. I don't plan on using the phone that much, and will have a mix of a few local Tokyo calls as well as a few international calls. Does anyone have any experience using the Vodafone mobile rental in Narita Airport? Any problems? Are there any other mobile phone rental companies that are recommended? I will be arriving on a Sunday, and I noticed on the Narita Airport website that most mobile phone rental companies are not opened on the weekend, so that is a consideration that I have to take in account.

Thank you!
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM
Phone rentals in TYO

I've used Vodafone at NRT and it worked very well; I only used it for local calls (especially when the taxi driver couldn't find the building I was going to). I, too, have arrived at times when the phone companies at the airport were closed. In those cases, I rented from my hotel. At most hotels it was quite inexpensive and a real safety net in navigating business appointments.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Ive used Telecom Square about 8 or 10 times and been very pleased with them. They have several different options to fit different expected usage patterns.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
This is one topic that's been kicked around a lot.

I rented from Rentaphone last summer based on a rec. here. Exactly as described on their web site. The phone was waiting for me at my hotel in Osaka. I returned it via a pre-paid mailer from Tokyo. Rates were as quoted, I'm sure much lower than everybody else, and everything worked fine. This was a first class operation, and a great phone.

Now let's talk about cheap overseas calling...foddor for another topic.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:53 am

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Another option, if you will travel to Japan on a regular basis is to buy a pre-paid phone. I've got one from Vodafone that cost me about $30. I bring it back with me, and recharge the minutes. No hassle renting a phone, and my number never changes...

Downside is that the minutes expire after 90 days.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
I will have an unlocked GSM Blkberry with me when I arrive from the US in a couple weeks.

Are there SIM vendors in NRT? Or better to purchase in downtown Tokyo? Approx price I should expect to pay for a SIM that will allow me to call US @ reasonable per min rates?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by hockeystl
I will have an unlocked GSM Blkberry with me when I arrive from the US in a couple weeks.

Are there SIM vendors in NRT? Or better to purchase in downtown Tokyo? Approx price I should expect to pay for a SIM that will allow me to call US @ reasonable per min rates?
See this thread and this thread for some ideas.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
See this thread and this thread for some ideas.
Jerry, you're the man. Perfect info. Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL SkyClub, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime
I rented from Rentaphone last summer based on a rec. here. Exactly as described on their web site. The phone was waiting for me at my hotel in Osaka. I returned it via a pre-paid mailer from Tokyo. Rates were as quoted, I'm sure much lower than everybody else, and everything worked fine. This was a first class operation, and a great phone.
Based on your recommendation, I just ordered a phone for my upcoming visit to Osaka and Tokyo. Easy website to use...lots of good info....and rates that absolutely do make sense. Thanks for the great tip!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:25 pm

Greetings all!

Hope to reactivate this thread with a quick question. I've been looking at the info on this and other threads on renting a cell phone at Narita THIS Wednesday.

This would be for my husband, and only for calls and texts within Japan.

the JAL's ABC phone has an "A" type phone that says call services only. What I can't figure out is - does that include text messages? It obviously does not include email or internet - but what about a simple text?

It is obviously too late to make a reservation, so we will cross our fingers and hope he can do some jet-lagged shopping when he gets into Narita.

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't think JAL ABC's type A phone is capable of texting, it says for calling only. If he wants texting from JAL ABC, I think he needs to get type C phone (domestic only, unlimited Internet/mail usage).
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:33 pm

Thanks alot!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:26 pm

I used Air's when I visited in April.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.