Wiki Posts
Search

New Gold benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
New Gold benefits

I heard a runour that bmi have completed their review of the gold benefits and some enhancements ( - no you cynics....real enhancements) are about to be announced.

Rumour #1: Any status miles over and above 55,000 per annum will be credited as destination miles (subject to a maximum of 25,000 per year).

Other enhancements are also planned.

If true I think it's a great move by bmi to recover some lost loyalty, given the recent changes and devaluation of the gold vouchers.

Watch this space...

Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
You must forgive us for fearing the word "enhancement"

This sounds good if true. I hope the other enhancements have something to do with the use of upgrade vouchers. That would be worth a big ^
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:27 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
let's hope it's more than that though ..frankly, I have shifted all but essential travel away from bmi (LHR-LBA is useful though) and having sampled the delights of BA's services I find it hard to believe that I will return. It's the cash+miles that keep me even vaguely interested in bmi now, but let's see
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Exec, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador & Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NoY
let's hope it's more than that though ..frankly, I have shifted all but essential travel away from bmi (LHR-LBA is useful though) and having sampled the delights of BA's services I find it hard to believe that I will return. It's the cash+miles that keep me even vaguely interested in bmi now, but let's see
One can only hope that they introduce some real benefits.

I have upgrade vouchers by the bucket load. Never been able to use them and now probably never will be able too.

Simple miles for upgrading on Longhaul and *A partners would be my preference plus lounge access irrespective of which airline flown.

Add in free wifi in lounges (KL offer this to FB Platinums at Schipol) then I might consider bmi a worthy contender for my business.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 6:21 am

Programs: BA OW Silver, Aegean *A Gold, Intercon Ambassador Gold, EY Gold
Free wifi in lounges and the availability of upgrading using miles are 2 issues where BMI could improve their offering - its not as if the Business Cabins are full, and providing wifi in Diamond lounges is hardly an expensive exercise.

Providing an extra 25,000 miles per year through status miles is harldly much of an enhancement - but then again neither were the modular "enhancements".

An unlikely but nice touch would be to allow the upgrade vouchers to be used on other *A carriers.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 6:53 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I am surprised that they have not billed lounge access on Tiny fares as a New Benefit
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Exec, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador & Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Markie
I am surprised that they have not billed lounge access on Tiny fares as a New Benefit
My first take on the above was that I'm sure they would like to make sure everyone has "billed lounge access" under the new pay as you go Modular airline service.

However I re-read the post and I would say the reinstatment of a previous benefit would not come under an enhancement. It used to be that you got lounge access irrespective of the booking class of your ticket if you were a BD Gold. By giving access back they are only restoring what they previously took away.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:10 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat, Hyatt Dia, HHonors Dia, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Dan Dare
My first take on the above was that I'm sure they would like to make sure everyone has "billed lounge access" under the new pay as you go Modular airline service.

However I re-read the post and I would say the reinstatment of a previous benefit would not come under an enhancement. It used to be that you got lounge access irrespective of the booking class of your ticket if you were a BD Gold. By giving access back they are only restoring what they previously took away.
On a related note - the new booking engine let's you choose between tiny (*baby fares) and economy (usually 5 GBP more on domestics). Now, as a *G card holder (not yet with DC though), do tiny fares now give lounge access since Feb06 or am I effectively "buying" my lounge access thru selecting the slightly more expensive economy fare?
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:40 am

now if this really would be implemented - will it count from now on for next membership year or for the past one???
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My understanding (as told by the very nice lounge dragons at GLA) is that post Feb bmi Silvers on tiny fares will not be allowed lounge access, but Golds will.

The next enhancement will be that Golds with DC membership numbers divisible by 3 will only be allowed lounge access on months with an R in them, whereas those with even numbered cards can access the lounge when flying with any airline, except on Tuesdays. This will be triumphed by bmi as a major simplification to the existing access rules.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, KLM Ivory, TK Classic Plus, Car Hrtz PC, AVIS Pref, Hotel HH Dia, ICPC Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer
I heard a runour that bmi have completed their review of the gold benefits and some enhancements ( - no you cynics....real enhancements) are about to be announced.

Rumour #1: Any status miles over and above 55,000 per annum will be credited as destination miles (subject to a maximum of 25,000 per year).

I wonder how many people actually fall into this category. I know that myself I was above the 38k reqd to retain Gold status but I was just below the 55k so I would not benefit at all.

Interested to find out how manyof the FF's on this forum would actually get anything from this 'enhancement'.

PS I'm not knocking this idea it as it does reward very Frequent Flyers, just interested to find out how many of us will actually benefit.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:17 am
Suspended

So if I understand this, if I get 55K in status miles, I get an additional 25K destination miles, making it a total of 80K?
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:17 am

As someone with a year end in May and 0 miles earned on DC so far who is enjoying life as a 1K immensely, the only thing that would get me back is the opportunity to upgrade on other star carriers from a paid economy fare to business using miles.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:27 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by bariummeal
upgrading using miles are 2 issues where BMI could improve their offering - its not as if the Business Cabins are full
Would you really be willing to use miles to upgrade to Business class on LHR-EDI/GLA!?

Or do you mean the long-haul routes, in which case it certainly makes sense!
Old Feb 2, 2006, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
So if I understand this, if I get 55K in status miles, I get an additional 25K destination miles, making it a total of 80K?
Not exactly.

If you earn 55k in the year then you'd be no better off.

If you earn 75k then you'd get an additional 20k miles free gratis. (i.e. any miles over 55k would be given as extra destination miles subject to an annual limit of 25k per year.

E.g. Earn 80k and get 25k free.
Earn 160k (like me) and you still only get 25k free.

Hope this helps.

Aztec.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.