Closing 4 Cities!!!

Subscribe
Changes Include Discontinuation of 4 Cities and Flight Reductions

The new January schedule (which goes into effect January 5th) is being officially posted this week. Unfortunately, this updated plan includes the need to discontinue service to four cities:

Chicago
Jacksonville
Buffalo
Manchester
Quote: Changes Include Discontinuation of 4 Cities and Flight Reductions

The new January schedule (which goes into effect January 5th) is being officially posted this week. Unfortunately, this updated plan includes the need to discontinue service to four cities:

Chicago
Jacksonville
Buffalo
Manchester
Not trying to start any fire here, but the "hot rumor" (airliners.net) going around the employees is that Indy may be planning to shut down Jan 4th. I can't confirm this, nor do I have any other prior knowledge, but this could be feasible. I believe that is either the day of or day after a bid is accepted for their assets.

This really is too bad for the airline. I always thought that Chicago and Jacksonville were some of their best performers. I believe that they were also Airbus cities, so I wonder what will happen to those planes? Maybe a possible return to lessor, even though the Airbus plane are economically much more friendly then the CRJ's.
Quote: Changes Include Discontinuation of 4 Cities and Flight Reductions

Chicago
Jacksonville
Buffalo
Manchester
What happen with DH is discontinuation some service to ORD, JAX, BUF & MHT? Does anything happen with Independence Air will cease operation? But, I don't think not gonna happen with DH. Become those performance aren't looking good. What about some cities will be remain for DH in west coast or Eastern cities?
How did the Indy pick these four cities to discontinue?
After a careful analysis of operating costs and revenue in all these cities, these four were chosen as the markets in which overall costs were highest, compared to expected revenue.
As for Chicago and Jacksonville—two cities that were recently upgauged to Airbus service—the
company has come to the conclusion that they just don’t have the right equipment to serve those
markets economically. Because of the longer stage length to serve these two cities, the 50-seat
CRJ presents seat-mile costs that are just too high. But the 132-seat Airbus A319 creates an
overcapacity in those markets. If Indy had an aircraft with operating costs and seating capacity inbetween
the two, that might be exactly the right fit. But since they don’t, the best financial decision
at this time is to discontinue service starting January 5th.

Indy will also trim back their total number of flights by reducing the schedule in most markets on Saturday nights, Sunday mornings and during the day on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
In two markets, they will also reduce from the current seven-day-a-week service:
• LAS will be served just four days a week (no flights on Mon-Tues-Wed)
• SJU will be served six days a week (no Wed flights)
Well, it is winter, and 3 out of those 4 airports have significant weather problems in the wintertime...

But still--Chicago! Really? That's a good idea? I think not.

I really, really rooted for this airline...but if you can't even fly IAD-ORD...maybe its just time to end it.
Here's the fullest scoop for the moment:
Independence Air
To Cut Flights Again
As Buyers Are Sought
December 14, 2005; Page D13

FLYi Inc.'s Independence Air, which sought bankruptcy-court protection Nov. 7, said it will shrink its already-reduced flight schedule Jan. 5 to save money.

The Dulles, Va., company told employees yesterday that it will trim its daily flights to a maximum of 170 from 220, and will drop service to Chicago, Jacksonville, Fla., Buffalo, N.Y., and Manchester, N.H., from its base at Washington's Dulles International Airport. Once those destinations have been excised from the schedule and Independence launches service this Friday to San Juan, Puerto Rico, the airline will offer flights to 33 cities.

At its peak in the fall of 2004, low-fare Independence served 47 cities with 600 flights a day. A spokesman declined to comment on whether the schedule change will result in layoffs. He also said FLYi hasn't announced changes to its fleet of 12 Airbus jets and 30 smaller regional jets.

U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware, which is hearing the airline's Chapter 11 case, last month approved bidding procedures for the airline and its assets, with final bids due on Friday. FLYi said it has received multiple expressions of interest, including proposals to acquire it, to invest in the company, and to buy specific assets. Without an equity investment or sale of the company, FLYi will be forced to shut down.
Keeping my fingers crossed that they can survive.
Quote: Not trying to start any fire here, but the "hot rumor" (airliners.net) going around the employees is that Indy may be planning to shut down Jan 4th. I can't confirm this, nor do I have any other prior knowledge, but this could be feasible. I believe that is either the day of or day after a bid is accepted for their assets.

This really is too bad for the airline. I always thought that Chicago and Jacksonville were some of their best performers. I believe that they were also Airbus cities, so I wonder what will happen to those planes? Maybe a possible return to lessor, even though the Airbus plane are economically much more friendly then the CRJ's.
Another hot rumor is that GE is going to be providing some financing. Yet another rumor is that Bombardeir is involved in some aspect of getting DH through this rough patch.
i believe this could be the beginning of the end
Quote: i believe this could be the beginning of the end
ORD...MHT...BUF...JAX. Once they eliminate IAD, I think they'll be in trouble.
haha true. the next 3 weeks are going to be interesting i think
Quote: Another hot rumor is that GE is going to be providing some financing. Yet another rumor is that Bombardeir is involved in some aspect of getting DH through this rough patch.
I'd believe the Bombardier rumor. Boyd is forecasting that 200 "RJ's" will be leaving the skies sooner rather than later, and that being the case, Bombardier has an interest in keeping FlyI flying. No FlyI = no lease payments on their CRJ's.