QF MEL-SYD for the weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold

I wanted to go to Sydney for a primary school reunion Sat night and RichardMEL happened to be going to Brisbane that day, so I booked a flight which left 5 mins before his and arranged to pick him up on my way and spend some time in the QF Club as his guest.

On arrival, I entered long-term parking and drove so far we almost seemed to be back in the city! It's grown immensely over the past few years, even more than its prices have.

As I was checking a bag, I couldn't use the Easy Checkin machines, as they don't run the current ones that can do bags. For the first time at QF domestic MEL, I was asked for photo ID. When I asked when that started, the agent said "ever since they brought in electronic tickets!", which is an utter lie. When I asked how heavily booked my flight was, she said "I can't give out that information." A liar and a loser. I look forward to using a machine in future, since the machines are friendlier and more informative.

Had a pleasant time drinking with Richard until boarding time and then headed off to the gate. As usual, most people had sensible cabin bags, so the whole boarding process for the 767 took about 1/2 the time it takes for a 737 in the USA.

QF442 MEL-SYD 763 37A 15/11/05 1500-1620 (actual 1510-1608)

Flight was fine, with a muffin snack. When I asked for orange juice, I got a bottle of some juice mix that's 72% apple juice. Whatever happened to ordinary orange juice? Whatever happened to giving people what they order or offering them other choices if you don't actually have it available?

Had a great time in Sydney. Had booked a couple of nights at the Menzies Hotel via priceline.com. US$100 bid with tax and priceline's ever-increasing fees, came to A$150. Still, that's much better than the $200+ that it would cost by Accor's web site or other booking sites. The room was small, there was no internet access of any kind available, the data port on the phone didn't work (but connecting modem straight to the wall plug worked fine) and the heating in the room didn't work. The pool and spa were nice and well-maintained, if overly chlorinated. The sauna was out of order, with no suggestion of when it would be fixed. On the positive side, the staff seemed good. I learned that they are supposed to be introducing wireless net access next week.

I booked a late flight back Monday evening because SYD can be a mess around 4-6pm, because I didn't know how long I'd want to be there, and because I wanted to drop in on a friend on the way home back in Melbourne.

This was a much nicer checkin agent. My QF FF card was all I needed, no photo ID like the jerk in MEL. She was quite happy to tell me that my plane was about 75% full (though this would turn out differently, for reasons that will become obvious). As I was at the airport very early, I asked whether I could catch an earlier flight. Often, the machines will offer this, but the agent's response was "not on THAT fare".

In hindsight, that was very lucky. Of the 5 flights to MEL between 4pm and 6pm, one was cancelled, one was 1.5 hours late, one was 2 hours late and one was over 2 hours late! Only one was even vaguely near its intended time.

I used a QF Club pass to spend the time in comfort. As I headed off to board my 8pm flight, the departure screen was showing "QF459: check for update at 20:00". QF459 is the 6pm flight. Needless to say, our flight was packed with those who'd managed to shift from the 6pm flight to the earlier 8pm flight.

QF487 SYD-MEL 763 44A 17/11 2000-2130 (actual 2010-2123)

Wandering through, I saw a familiar face. Australia's cricket ambassador for tawdry affairs, Warnie, in 5A. Oddly, it was 30 mins after takeoff before they started serving dinner, which made it very hurried. The beef in black pepper sauce was actually pretty good. Again, I asked for orange juice and got MultiV instead. With a big thumping landing and quite some weaving about on the tarmac, I was home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.