Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Knee Defender

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2004, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Knee Defender

Have any of you seen the knee defenders being used on any of your Continental flights? I'm curious if I'll be able to spot them while I'm doing my compliance checks through the aisle. The person using it, will they have to have their tray table down the entire time? I have alot of questions about this gadget.

I was on a flight in January and my seat wouldn't recline -- just assumed it was something wrong with the seat. I bet the person behind me was using the knee defender.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
AA has now officially banned them thank goodness

see thread in the AA forum

Old Feb 25, 2004, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
All airlines ought to ban them on all seats. You are being promised a seat that reclines 5". Not a lot, but it's something. Imagine the furor that would erupt in BF if some clown used some gadget to prevent the seat in front of him from reclining!
Old Feb 25, 2004, 3:10 pm

We usually roll up a blanket and stick it between the seat and the aluminum bar of the tray table. Works well without buying anything. Have never been questioned about it.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 3:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tummy:
We usually roll up a blanket and stick it between the seat and the aluminum bar of the tray table. Works well without buying anything. Have never been questioned about it.</font>
Out of curiousity: do you recline YOUR seat?

Old Feb 25, 2004, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

These devices are not permitted on board CO aircraft either. Its stated in the "Traveler Information" page of the Continental magazine.

Can anyone tell me if they can be spotted while I'm passing through the aisle? I checked out the AA thread, but didn't see that issue addressed
Old Feb 25, 2004, 6:01 pm

Had the misfortune of flying AMS-JFK on KLM and this woman behind me thought it was appropriate to first jab me in the side (by sticking her hand through the seats) and then slapping me on the head because she was unhappy about my reclined seat (I was in a middle seat because of a KLM ooops-we-lost-your-seat-sorry-hoor moment) I was very happy to tell her in three languages that if she touched me again, I'd rip off her fingers. I don't think she understood any of it, but I imagine she got the jist from my tone.

Coach is uncomfortable, it gets 2% more comfortable when your seat is reclined. The person behind you doesn't have anything to say about it.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 6:53 pm
KGB

Programs: DL, Marriott, Hilton
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tummy:
We usually roll up a blanket and stick it between the seat and the aluminum bar of the tray table. Works well without buying anything. Have never been questioned about it.</font>
As I posted on the DL boards about this device if you used a towel on me you'd need a doctor to remove if from you body when I was done with you.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 7:31 pm

Things get dicey in coach. One particular flight while "reclining" in coach some passive aggressive guy behind me decided to rest his USA today on the back of my head while reading. I swiped it away once, he did it a second time and I reached behind me and snatched the entire section out of his hand. He didn't do it again with the rest of his newspaper.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 8:27 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Loews Gold, Marriott Gold, etc. etc. etc
I had a guy use it on a 737-500 a few weeks ago where I elected to sit in coach and let a client take my First Class seat.

The person was fumbling with it trying to put it on during the flight, so I got up, turned around, and politely told him that if he didnt put it away I was going to have the flight attendant come and take it away. He argued, but I showed him the page in the magazine where it announces that these "toys" are banned, and that shut him up for the flight. Thus far, my only experience.

I wonder if they work on NW FC seats with seatback-mounted traytables. Anyone ever try it?

------------------
Dave

Old Feb 26, 2004, 6:52 am
Original Member

PradaFA,

These are not easy to spot, but the tray table MUST be down for them to work. So, I guess if you see someone just sitting there or sleeping with the tray table down, take a closer look.

------------------
"The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You"
Old Feb 26, 2004, 7:00 am

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
I would love to sit in back of KGB and see if he will actually "take me on"....I welcome these types of confrontations.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Lets Rock!!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IMStill4Travel:
I would love to sit in back of KGB and see if he will actually "take me on"....I welcome these types of confrontations. </font>
Old Feb 26, 2004, 8:01 am

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
I agree. I've had several confrontations in F mind you....where the pax in front of me tried to recline and I pushed his/her seat back up. I've gotten some nasty looks but lately no one wants to "make anything out of it"...so they just sit there with there seat up. I'm disappointed
Old Feb 26, 2004, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IMStill4Travel:
I agree. I've had several confrontations in F mind you....where the pax in front of me tried to recline and I pushed his/her seat back up.</font>
Are you really this childish? Many of us, myself included, often find ourselves working through the night before an early morning flight, or have worked many hours leading up to an evening flight, and we get on a plane, and we want to fall asleep in as much comfort as possible as soon as the wheels are up.

The last thing I need is a jerk (and I mean the word jerk in the most rude way possible) deciding to whine and complain "I don't like it and I'm number 1" pushing my seat forward or something.

Here's a news flash for those of you not bright enough to have figured this out on your own: aircraft seats recline.

People not smart enough to appreciate that shouldn't be allowed to fly. Heck, I'm not clear they should be allowed to live.

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.