Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hooray! I got op-uped on p.s.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2005, 4:48 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Hooray! I got op-uped on p.s.

I'm a US/*A Silver, with no status whatsoever on UA.

I was flying JFK-SFO p.s. this morning, and I got upgraded from Y (V bucket) to C.

Where are all the UA elites? I assume I was the absolute lowest person on the list for an op-up (after all UA elite levels & any other *A Golds and even full Y paying passengers?).

Business class was quite nice on the 757. Good service, good food.

Last edited by Jumpgate; Aug 7, 2005 at 5:03 pm
Old Aug 7, 2005, 4:50 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
I'm a US/*A Silver, with no status whatsoever on UA.

I was flying JFK-SFO p.s. this morning, and I got upgraded from Y (V bucket) to C.

Where are all the UA elites? I assume I was the absolute lowest person on the list for an op-up (after all UA elite levels as any other *A Golds and even full Y paying passengers?).

Business class was quite nice on the 757. Good service, good food.
Congrats! Sounds like you enjoyed your flight.

How did they present you with the op-up? Did they call you up while you were waiting for them to begin boarding? What did they say?

(And no--I'm NOT op-upping vicariously )
Old Aug 7, 2005, 4:58 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Congrats on op-up.
I also would like to know how this upgrade come about.
Did you give GA the "speech"?
Or did GA called you and gave you the op-up?

I will be on my second PS flight next week and would like
to have one myself too!
Old Aug 7, 2005, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by boeingair
Congrats! Sounds like you enjoyed your flight.

How did they present you with the op-up? Did they call you up while you were waiting for them to begin boarding? What did they say?

(And no--I'm NOT op-upping vicariously )
They just called me by name and handed me a new boarding pass. She said they "needed my seat" (it was oversold) and were giving me an operational upgrade. She was very nice and even thanked me for my business.

^ for UA this morning!
Old Aug 7, 2005, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
You didn't see me at JFK with my FT yellow luggage tag??? I got op-uped to LAX when I checked in. BP just printed out when I checked in.

I saw other PremExs that didn't get the op-up on this very full/packed flight.

I was on a cheap ticket, in a low fare class. I wonder how the computer picks the op-ups?

Dan
Old Aug 8, 2005, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P AA Hilton Gold Starwood Gold Hertz Gold
Smile OP-UP Great Gate Agent

On July 28, I was flying to SAN from MCI, Flight 241, with a stop in DEN for a family reunion. My mother was flying with us on the trip. In Denver I asked the gate agent, Clark, if we could move up into E+ to get a little more room.

He was chatty and stated he was going to see his family in a few days for a vacation. He mentioned things they might do and where they were going. While amusing it was also interesting and if it helped move us up, I would listen to his story. I think he really just wanted to talk with someone, who wasn't yelling and demanding something.

Anyway, he said at the end, "Let me do my thing." I stated I would be around the corner and when it came time to board he handed me tickets in First for all us. Clark made my mother's day, she had never been in First and thought I had really talked the guy up.

We had a great trip.

Thanks Clark. ^
Old Aug 8, 2005, 4:37 pm

Programs: Life IS good !!!
Originally Posted by cyclone1
On July 28, I was flying to SAN from MCI, Flight 241, with a stop in DEN for a family reunion. My mother was flying with us on the trip. In Denver I asked the gate agent, Clark, if we could move up into E+ to get a little more room.

He was chatty and stated he was going to see his family in a few days for a vacation. He mentioned things they might do and where they were going. While amusing it was also interesting and if it helped move us up, I would listen to his story. I think he really just wanted to talk with someone, who wasn't yelling and demanding something.

Anyway, he said at the end, "Let me do my thing." I stated I would be around the corner and when it came time to board he handed me tickets in First for all us. Clark made my mother's day, she had never been in First and thought I had really talked the guy up.

We had a great trip.

Thanks Clark. ^
Great story about how being nice and treating the GAs with a little consideration can sometimes lead to unexpected rewards.

Good for you and for your mom too. ^
Old Aug 8, 2005, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by dhammer53

I was on a cheap ticket, in a low fare class. I wonder how the computer picks the op-ups?

Dan
Dan:

I don't think that the computer picks the op-ups, the GAs and supervisors do. They may get a list in order of status, etc, but the final decision, as I understand it, is human.

Med
Old Aug 8, 2005, 7:46 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I'm on UA18 tonight, and can only hope for an op-up, as my mileage upgrade didn't go through, and I've run outta certs for now. The best I could do was change my seat to one with an open middle seat.

I need to get out the ole coat and tie and give an offering to the upgrade gods
Old Aug 8, 2005, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by meducate
Dan:

I don't think that the computer picks the op-ups, the GAs and supervisors do. They may get a list in order of status, etc, but the final decision, as I understand it, is human.

Med
You understand it correctly.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 9:09 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
In that case, I am very much confused. Can anyone hazard a guess as to why the OP was selected?
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boeingair
In that case, I am very much confused. Can anyone hazard a guess as to why the OP was selected?
I'm awfully cute ....
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:06 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Thanks, Marty. Sorry you couldn't join us for dinner last week. You were missed! Hope to see you next time!
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:40 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cstead
I'm on UA18 tonight, and can only hope for an op-up, as my mileage upgrade didn't go through, and I've run outta certs for now. The best I could do was change my seat to one with an open middle seat.

I need to get out the ole coat and tie and give an offering to the upgrade gods

I GOT THE OP-UP!!! I didn't say anything, just sat in the gate area after the RCC closed. The GA called my name second I think out of about 6 or 7 op ups. And he even asked if it was ok to plop me in 9A.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since Operational Upgrades are not officially part of any Mileage Plus benefit, it's really anyone's guess as to why they got upgraded.

They can use a Status List as their guide, but they don't have to.

They can pick Employees. They can pick alphabetically. They can pick just to move you out of a specific seat because 2 others are trying to sit together. The can pick using a dartboard. They can pick because they know you're standing nearby. They can pick by how you're dressed. Or if they think you're cute. They can pick for any number of reasons. Sometimes it's just a random pick. Eeeny, meany, miney, moe.

When you check-in and find that you are already Op-up'ed...that's an Advance Operational Upgrade, and those are slightly more likely to be given by Status and/or fare paid. These are done in the "backroom" so-to-speak.

When the Op-up is done at the gate, that's a Gate Operational Upgrade and those are more likely not to be based on Status than the Advance type. Once the green light has been given to do Gate Op-ups...this is one area where Agents are given a whole lot of flexibility and authority to do pretty much what they darn well please. Anything to get the musical chairs done quickly, and the plane off in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.