Wiki Posts
Search

End of AA/LX codeshares from LAX & ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

End of AA/LX codeshares from LAX & ORD?

I just noticed that effective 30OCT availability for the LAX-ZRH and the ORD-ZRH codeshare fights has been zeroed out -- therefore cancelling the flight for everyone except those already holding reservations.

Anyone knows whether this is a fluke (system bug) or AA and LX are actually parting ways on these routes? Flights out of BOS, MIA and JFK are unaffected.

Of course, this is terrible for AA in the west coast--those are the only AA-coded flights with lie-flat business class seats.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:46 pm

Programs: TK C+, AA/AS nothing, BA nothing
it was bound to happen ...sooner or later... looks like sooner
really weird how the other LX codeshares are not affected (yet?) ...

Last edited by LAX21; Jul 30, 2005 at 12:48 pm
Old Jul 30, 2005, 2:14 pm

When AA started flying to DUB ex ORD, then terminated the LAX code share for O and D Pax, much to my dismay- obviously hoping that Pax will fly AA via ORD.

So now I am faced with purchasing a K fare on EI to get miles or go via ORD
I wonder if something similar is going on here with the LX flights . Of couse it is probably to do with the LX/LH merger.

Can you still get the LX flights say from SBA or SAN via LAX like you still can do on EI?
Old Jul 30, 2005, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC*75K, DL*FO, MB*TTN
Originally Posted by hillrider
Anyone knows whether this is a fluke (system bug) or AA and LX are actually parting ways on these routes? Flights out of BOS, MIA and JFK are unaffected.

Of course, this is terrible for AA in the west coast--those are the only AA-coded flights with lie-flat business class seats.
I'm surprised that no one has brought up the fact that Swiss is now looking towards it future in Star – perhaps the LX/AA codeshare is just gradually being removed. After all, LAX and ORD passengers could always connect onto LX flights on the east coast via an AA flight.

Eventually, though, these east coast codeshares will be removed as well – so long as the LH/LX deal presses forth.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 3:31 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by UnitedFirst
Eventually, though, these east coast codeshares will be removed as well – so long as the LH/LX deal presses forth.
For now, the MIA/BOS/JFK/DFW codeshares are staying, even with LX going to Star. The LAX/ORD codes are ending because both LAX and ORD are Star Alliance hubs.

Swiss and American Airlines plan on keeping a limited codeshare agreement for the near term future. This is obvioulsy subject to change, but the LX/AA codeshare is very beneficial to Swiss, and even LH realizes that.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eireman
Can you still get the LX flights say from SBA or SAN via LAX like you still can do on EI?
Nope, they're zeroed out as well.

This may be the time I finally give up on EXP and therefore on AA for my (limited) N. American needs.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 5:24 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Well looks like I will be joining M&M. I have flown and will continue to fly LAX-FCO (and other European destinations) on LX because I have found it an excellent product. There is no way I am connecting to LX on the East Coast (defeats the purpose of a 10-11 hrs flight with enough time to eat and sleep). And AA's product (F) via LHR just cannot compare.

Thankfully this year EXP is in the bag, but in the coming years I will need to do some balancing between AA and LH (OW and *A). LX's loss to *A is sad indeed
Old Aug 1, 2005, 8:37 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by alect
Well looks like I will be joining M&M. I have flown and will continue to fly LAX-FCO (and other European destinations) on LX because I have found it an excellent product. There is no way I am connecting to LX on the East Coast (defeats the purpose of a 10-11 hrs flight with enough time to eat and sleep). And AA's product (F) via LHR just cannot compare.

Thankfully this year EXP is in the bag, but in the coming years I will need to do some balancing between AA and LH (OW and *A). LX's loss to *A is sad indeed
If you're thinking of switching now, then join LX's TravelClub instead of M&M for now. TravelClub is much more generous than M&M (e.g., minimum 1000 miles instead of LH's pathetic 250-500 depending on fare type purchased; full credit in TravelClub for all Y fares, etc.) There hasn't been any word on the integration of TravelClub and M&M so you may as well reap the benefits of TC now...
Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
If you're thinking of switching now, then join LX's TravelClub instead of M&M for now.
Personally, I was thining about using UA Mileage Plus to credit LX (or, in this case, LH) travel, in order to get North American benefits (confirmed Economy Plus, upgrades, etc.) that you wouldn't get as a member of M&M or TravelClub. N. American flights are painful enough as a top-tier (EXP), the idea of traveling without status is dreadful. Plus, I'm not sure if LX would status-match the way UA will.

Is my logic missing anything?
Old Aug 2, 2005, 2:16 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
If you're thinking of switching now, then join LX's TravelClub instead of M&M for now. TravelClub is much more generous than M&M (e.g., minimum 1000 miles instead of LH's pathetic 250-500 depending on fare type purchased; full credit in TravelClub for all Y fares, etc.) There hasn't been any word on the integration of TravelClub and M&M so you may as well reap the benefits of TC now...
I had considered that option, but I won't be flying the shorter Y/discY segments so won't affect me. Also read a comparison of the two programs over on LH/LX forums, and the type of traveller I am going to be seems to best suit M&M. Those forums also mentioned that it is almost certain LH will eventually (as soon as possible if they have their way) roll TC into M&M.

Originally Posted by hillrider
Personally, I was thining about using UA Mileage Plus to credit LX (or, in this case, LH) travel, in order to get North American benefits (confirmed Economy Plus, upgrades, etc.) that you wouldn't get as a member of M&M or TravelClub. N. American flights are painful enough as a top-tier (EXP), the idea of traveling without status is dreadful. Plus, I'm not sure if LX would status-match the way UA will.

Is my logic missing anything?
I definitely assumed UA's M+ would be for me due to the status match. But then found out that the status bonus would not be awarded on any LH non-translatlantic flights, or other *A partners, let alone LX. And I won't be flying UA if I can avoid it. Meanwhile, LH's M&M has a small elite bonus (30%) but awards 200% for J and 300% for F - so in effect elite status not required for mileage accrual. I will mostly be flying F/J.

I am also highly unlikely to be flying UA domestically, although if I do I would have thought *A Gold would suffice for E+ seating etc....
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Codeshare is officially discontinued!

It's official: my 16DEC reservation SFO-LAX-ZRH on the AA/LX codeshare has been cancelled.

AA simply reaccomodated me on their god-afwul J seating on the SFO-DFW-ZRH which leaves a whole workday earlier. Of course, there's no change in the fare to reflect severely diminished comfort.

Thanks, AA, but certainly no thanks.

Oh, and what am I going to do on the 9 hours you left me at ZRH to wait form my connection, which at least could have been rebooked?

PS Has anyone tried the new J-class lie-flat seats on AF's 343s? They are finally putting them on the SFO route, and they could be a good alternative.

Last edited by hillrider; Aug 4, 2005 at 7:33 pm
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Does the end of this cooperative relationship mean we'll see more vigorous competition, and lower fares, on these routes?
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:00 am

Programs: QR platinum
from the august AA- newsletter:

Effective Date Change

March 31, 2006 Earning miles on SWISS transatlantic flights ends, except New York JFK to/from Zurich

October 31, 2006 Earning miles on all SWISS flights worldwide ends, including New York JFK to/from Zurich

All award travel on SWISS flights must be booked and ticketed.

October 31, 2007 All award travel on SWISS must be completed

see thread SWISS program participation is changing and eventually ending
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:03 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by beepee
from the august AA- newsletter:

Effective Date Change

March 31, 2006 Earning miles on SWISS transatlantic flights ends, except New York JFK to/from Zurich

October 31, 2006 Earning miles on all SWISS flights worldwide ends, including New York JFK to/from Zurich

All award travel on SWISS flights must be booked and ticketed.

October 31, 2007 All award travel on SWISS must be completed

see thread SWISS program participation is changing and eventually ending

Exactly. Which is why hillrider's experience seems odd. This flight is before the 2006 end dates, so should not be affected. Something else must be afoot there.

While I don't like this, it doesn't seem that they're going to allow bookings, then downgrade people after the fact. They're giving plenty of warning.

Cheers.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
Exactly. Which is why hillrider's experience seems odd. This flight is before the 2006 end dates, so should not be affected.
Earning miles (on LX) and codesharing (selling an LX flight with the AA designator) are two different things. The last day of the LAX-ZRH codeshare is 28OCT; I guess after that one can still earn miles on the route by booking on LX until 31MAR -- however, those miles do not count for elite qualification purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.