Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double Points for Green AMEX!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum Charge Card (Personal)
Double Points for Green AMEX!

I just got a flyer in the mail today that says all of my purchases from July 1, 2005 until August 31, 2005 will receive double Membership Rewards points if made on either a Rewards Green Card or Preferred Rewards Green Card. It also said that the everyday category that already gets double points will get 3 points per dollar instead of 2.

I just upgraded to Platinum in May and I have not used the Green card since then. Needless to say, I was quite angry when I opened the mail today. Ironically, I just called to cancel the Green yesterday since all of my pending points and statements were finally taken care of.

I called up and asked to have the Green reinstated so that I can use it during August. I wouldn't have gone to the bother except that I will be charging my fall semester school expenses in August so that will be easy double points!

For anyone interested it says to go to americanexpress.com/greenoffers or call 1-877-209-5819
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:25 pm

Programs: Amex MR, CO Onepass
Originally Posted by Paul422
I just got a flyer in the mail today that says all of my purchases from July 1, 2005 until August 31, 2005 will receive double Membership Rewards points if made on either a Rewards Green Card or Preferred Rewards Green Card. It also said that the everyday category that already gets double points will get 3 points per dollar instead of 2.

I just upgraded to Platinum in May and I have not used the Green card since then. Needless to say, I was quite angry when I opened the mail today. Ironically, I just called to cancel the Green yesterday since all of my pending points and statements were finally taken care of.

I called up and asked to have the Green reinstated so that I can use it during August. I wouldn't have gone to the bother except that I will be charging my fall semester school expenses in August so that will be easy double points!

For anyone interested it says to go to americanexpress.com/greenoffers or call 1-877-209-5819

THANK YOU!

Please tell me its retroactive. Can I apply this promo to all my spending since 1 July after I activate? Ill call them in the morning to see. Anyways thanks so much for telling me. I was going to charge my univ tuition on the card; now I will for sure.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 5:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by thistestname
THANK YOU!

Please tell me its retroactive. Can I apply this promo to all my spending since 1 July after I activate? Ill call them in the morning to see. Anyways thanks so much for telling me. I was going to charge my univ tuition on the card; now I will for sure.
From what I understand, as long as you register by (IIRC) August 31, double points are retroactive to July 1.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by anonplz
From what I understand, as long as you register by (IIRC) August 31, double points are retroactive to July 1.
The website and the phone number both denied me. They said my Green card was not in the promo.

I called the MR desk and got it fixed. All pts from 1 July on are retroactive in the bonus.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
So far Green and the Delta card seems to have the same promo. Anyone know if this goes for other cards as well?

(Delta is capped at 10,000 bonus pts. I'm there soon)
Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by lessthanzero
So far Green and the Delta card seems to have the same promo. Anyone know if this goes for other cards as well?
Seems it works for the gold card - use www.americanexpress.com/goldoffers .

I switched out "gold" in the url for plat (and platinum), starwood (and spg), hhonors (and hilton) - no go. It did work for delta.

Last edited by singlemalt; Jul 28, 2005 at 6:16 pm
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:18 pm

Thanks for this. I registered my Preferred Rewards Green Card even though I'm generally not collecting Amex points since I moved my travel to BA and Amex has a limited roster of airline partners in the US. In fact, I did the reverse of you, gave up my Platinum after 10 years and took a DC so I could top up my BAEC if needed. I wouldn't have dumped Platinum if they had a relationship with AA/BA.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 4:49 am

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Originally Posted by singlemalt
Seems it works for the gold card - use www.americanexpress.com/goldoffers .

I switched out "gold" in the url for plat (and platinum), starwood (and spg), hhonors (and hilton) - no go. It did work for delta.
Good work! Unfortunately it is a targeted promotion, and so it did not allow me to enroll after I input the card #.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by lessthanzero
Good work! Unfortunately it is a targeted promotion, and so it did not allow me to enroll after I input the card #.
As I said before.
The website and the phone number both denied me. They said my Green card was not in the promo.

I called the MR desk and got it fixed. All pts from 1 July on are retroactive in the bonus.

If you call AMEX customer service and you have a relatively new acct you are in whether or not the website says so.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:37 am

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
Did you get the confirmation e-mail?

I didn't get the memo, but I entered my green card number anyway and the computer took it, complete with "Thank you for registering" screen (which I printed); however, I didn't get the e-mail confirming my registration. Did any of you?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by thistestname
As I said before.

If you call AMEX customer service and you have a relatively new acct you are in whether or not the website says so.
Unfortunately, I've had mine for 2+ years.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by TribeFlyer
I didn't get the memo, but I entered my green card number anyway and the computer took it, complete with "Thank you for registering" screen (which I printed); however, I didn't get the e-mail confirming my registration. Did any of you?
No - but I called the 800 number above, input my card number, and it said I was already enrolled. I think I'm good to go. I can use a few more Hilton points.

By the way - has anyone done MR->HA->HH recently? Mileage converter says it's still good...

Last edited by singlemalt; Jul 29, 2005 at 5:11 pm
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:06 pm

When are the bonus points expected to post? My recent statement shows only about 120% of regular points - nowhere near double even though the voice on the 877 number says I'm registered.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 6:10 am

Took my wife's Gold Rewards card with no problems. I don't believe she got any email or newsletter invitation but I could be wrong.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Imperial Special
When are the bonus points expected to post? My recent statement shows only about 120% of regular points - nowhere near double even though the voice on the 877 number says I'm registered.
I take it this is your first Amex promo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.