Wiki Posts
Search

Metal Cutlery Coming Back

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Metal Cutlery Coming Back

Report from my recent flight IAD-LHR. Speaking with the FA in F, he mentioned that metal cutlery will be back as soon as they use up all the plastic in inventory.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
That will be nice on the UK flights. Now if only they'd bring back the old dull metal knives on all flights.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Isn't there a UK restriction on metal? Is this decision to bring back metal from UA or the UK government? Domestic or international flights? Anyone know?
Old Jul 8, 2005, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Isn't there a UK restriction on metal? Is this decision to bring back metal from UA or the UK government? Domestic or international flights? Anyone know?
It was a UK government restriction that was removed recently.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Congrats on 1000 posts flyinbob
Old Jul 8, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
The silver colored plastic knives are very good (for plastic), and probably sharper and better at cutting steak than the metal knives ever were. I'd rather stick with a good plastic knife than a blunt metal one.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:06 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
The silver colored plastic knives are very good (for plastic), and probably sharper and better at cutting steak than the metal knives ever were. I'd rather stick with a good plastic knife than a blunt metal one.

Then I'll see to it the entire remaining supply is reserved for you.

All hail metal knives! I'll finally be able to get the small frozen butter pats out of the ramekin with ease.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Congrats on 1000 posts flyinbob
Thanks for pointing it out. Hadn't noticed. So when do I get my gold trophy and big cash award?
Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'd like to hear from someone senior at the FAA or TSA and CAA about this. Will they admit they were wrong to ban metal knives in the first place?

Or are they bringing them back as a competitive issue? Since most of the rest of the world never banned metal knives, the US and UK have looked pretty silly to the rest of the world.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:11 pm

Programs: UAL Gold Million-Mile
My MUC-SFO on LH this past Monday was all-metal in C.

I didn't care for the new C seats in A340-600, however. You sit there trying to move a mouse pointer across the screen (Windows CE). Layers of menus just to bring up the Airshow. System rebooted twice. The whole thing is way over-engineered. My neighbor went to adjust his seat and lost the movie. Then it reboots. Pain in the *ss, IMHO
No amenities pack
Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'd like to hear from someone senior at the FAA or TSA and CAA about this. Will they admit they were wrong to ban metal knives in the first place?
Those arrogant clowns never have and never will admit to their incompetent mistakes.

This is just one more example of why the TSA should be dismantled and those who managed it should be fired with no pensions, or better yet deported to North Korea.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Originally Posted by bervol
I didn't care for the new C seats in A340-600, however. You sit there trying to move a mouse pointer across the screen (Windows CE). Layers of menus just to bring up the Airshow. System rebooted twice. The whole thing is way over-engineered. My neighbor went to adjust his seat and lost the movie. Then it reboots. Pain in the *ss, IMHO
No amenities pack
Bervol:

I totally agree with you! The seats aren't all that comfy and the IFE was a major pain in the .... When I flew 2 weeks ago, they rebooted 4 times in the first hour! Crazy. My seatmate's wouldn't work at all so she had to move.

BTW, the amenity pack is in the centre console *behind* your arms. It's a small baggie with nothing interesting or nice in it at all. Just some eyeshades, socks and bad toothpaste/brush.

Not really worthwhile. My summary opinion: new biz on LH is disappointing. I'll stick with UA from now on.

<G>
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Well it will be nice to see the metal knives back as long as they can actually cut a piece of meat without sawing incessantly.

I think UA brought them back due to competitors starting to do the same.

I wonder if it is cheaper for UA to use plastic knives or to rewash the metal ones.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 6:33 pm

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
Now can please get the curtain back.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Talking

Originally Posted by Aluminum tubing
Now can please get the curtain back.

And hotter nuts while they are at it

Lurker

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.