Wiki Posts
Search

Opinions Please! Should Flyertalk include a New members Search tutorial

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2005, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Opinions Please! Should Flyertalk include a New members Search tutorial

I know I will probably get ripped for this one but over the last several months I have noticed a lot of new members on this board. That in itself is a good thing, since hopefully these members will have something to contribute to the forums we all love.

Problem in my opinion however is that it seems like some newbies and some other long-term members don't seem to know how to use the search function. I typically have answered questions which I know have been discussed to death when I noticed it was from a new member but now I am starting to get a little tired of seeing the same topics over and over again. No....I am not one of those people that says "have you searched" or "do a search" but I have to admit that thought crosses my mind more and more these days. We all know some people in the forums are notorious for this but I try not the answer at all if that is all I have to contribute to a thread. All I know is I am tired of seeing:

What is the best *W property in NYC?
What are the benefits of the SPG AMEX card?
What do I have to do to get AMEX Centurion?
What is the best Marriott in London? Paris?

Food for thought and the reason I posted this thread is...Should there be a mandatory "Search" tutorial for new members when they sign up to be part of our community? Is something like this practical and can it even be done? Just food for thought! I know I was a newbie once (not too long ago) and I figured out how to use the "search" function but maybe some people need a tutorial.

Sorry if this thread doesn't belong in this forum but I was not sure where else to post it. Moderator can move it if there is a better place for it.

Last edited by christianj; Jun 30, 2005 at 6:31 am
Old Jun 30, 2005, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/newuser/
Old Jun 30, 2005, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I know about this but I guess I didn't make my point about a MANDATORY tutorial clear enough. Evidently people are not looking at this or the FAQ on their own.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:16 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Might be a good idea, but it has nothing to do with miles or points.. Moving to suggestions...
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by christianj
I know about this but I guess I didn't make my point about a MANDATORY tutorial clear enough. Evidently people are not looking at this or the FAQ on their own.
How would we make such a thing mandatory?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by christianj
All I know is I am tired of seeing:

What is the best *W property in NYC?
What are the benefits of the SPG AMEX card?
What do I have to do to get AMEX Centurion?
What is the best Marriott in London? Paris?
Me too.

Should there be a mandatory "Search" tutorial for new members when they sign up to be part of our community?
No, just community encouragement to find & use the search feature as it's always been.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.