Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Key Taken By Security

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Well I did the TV spot. Ok it was a pretape. (I got trumped by the feel good news story ^ ) They said it will run tomorrow at either 1 or 3. It is really short. Not really even enough time to get through everything, and I am sure I looked like a total idiot. Oh well only time will tell.

According to the Director at MSNBC, the Dallas TSA or PR folks are denying the incident happened, and that they have no record of it. She also said the person said to her "What is he so angry about". Well the answer is I am not angry about this. I am befuddled, confused, but not angry. Why, because it is pointless to get angry about this situation. I can make my statement, and go on. When one gets angry one does not have the ability to think clearly or get the desired result. The result I am looking for is TSA to state on the website that this style of key is not a prohibited item, and to take away the discretion from the individual screeners. Print up a set of guidelines that explains what would make an item prohibited if not on the list, and then publish those guidelines.

The other thing I made sure to get out and MSNBC was good is making this possible is that I am not out for money from TSA or anyone else. I will take my lumps, because it isn't worth the time and effort, to me, to get this money back.

Thanks for all of your support. Also if you see it please let me know what you think of my performance.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had to be said

From Utah missing boy case:

KID: Thank you for finding me, I'm hungry and thirsty.
RESCUERS: You're welcome, we're all so glad you're alive, you've made our day!
KID: Thank you again.
RESCUER: We're going to fly you to a hospital in Salt Lake City.
KID: Okay, I love to fly.
RESCUER: One more thing, kid.
KID: Yes?
RESCUER: Your shoes?
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:41 pm

names, dates, facts, figures

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
…According to the Director at MSNBC, the Dallas TSA or PR folks are denying the incident happened, and that they have no record of it. She also said the person said to her "What is he so angry about". Well the answer is I am not angry about this. I am befuddled, confused, but not angry. Why, because it is pointless to get angry about this situation. I can make my statement, and go on. When one gets angry one does not have the ability to think clearly or get the desired result. The result I am looking for is TSA to state on the website that this style of key is not a prohibited item, and to take away the discretion from the individual screeners. Print up a set of guidelines that explains what would make an item prohibited if not on the list, and then publish those guidelines.
A bit of lesson to be learned here. There can never be to much information as to TSA screener (name/badge number), have them identify themselves to you as you write it down, the supervisors, the Airport Authority police officer, etc. The greater the number of the names/ID you have of the people involved in any incident, the more difficult it is for the TSA to state "it didn't happen". The 15 minutes of your time to take down this information will make the most miserable 15 minutes of their time later on.

Also ask them about the video tape during the incident. I'm sure the initial response will be there is no video tape because nothing happened.

Looking forward to my next encounter with TSA at FLL, MSY, PBI, ATL etc.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2
From Utah missing boy case:

KID: Thank you for finding me, I'm hungry and thirsty.
RESCUERS: You're welcome, we're all so glad you're alive, you've made our day!
KID: Thank you again.
RESCUER: We're going to fly you to a hospital in Salt Lake City.
KID: Okay, I love to fly.
RESCUER: One more thing, kid.
KID: Yes?
RESCUER: Your shoes?
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by knotyeagle
A bit of lesson to be learned here. There can never be to much information as to TSA screener (name/badge number), have them identify themselves to you as you write it down, the supervisors, the Airport Authority police officer, etc. The greater the number of the names/ID you have of the people involved in any incident, the more difficult it is for the TSA to state "it didn't happen". The 15 minutes of your time to take down this information will make the most miserable 15 minutes of their time later on.

Also ask them about the video tape during the incident. I'm sure the initial response will be there is no video tape because nothing happened.

Looking forward to my next encounter with TSA at FLL, MSY, PBI, ATL etc.
From what I've learned reading these many posts on this site, is that pax are often blindsided by screeners - whoever would enter the security line thinking they would end up having their car keys confiscated? When you're blindsided, you're often in a state where you don't even think to take down names, id #'s and such. You're standing there in a state of disbelief that something this stupid is happening to you because some dimwit has decided your car keys are a weapon. (MSY-MSP, I'm not saying you were in that state.) And unlike MSY-MSP, most of us do get angry when we are accused of doing something that never entered our minds.

So, lesson learned. From now on, I travel with a pencil and small notepad or copy of TSA complaint form in my pocket that goes with me through the WTMD and I'll be ready.

Isn't that a sad state of affairs?
Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Well looking back on everything, there are a few things that I should have done differently. While I was aware of what was going on, I was in a partial state of disbelief. Not a total one (Look at the stuff we here about all the time)

1) Should have taken down the names of the screeners in question. The main problem with this is that it is very difficult to do when you don't have access to your belongings, and are in a situation where you could be detained by law enforcement. In these situations you need to have a really good memory that is able to remember these details while at the same time keeping your composure.

2) Have you ever noticed when you need this information it suddenly becomes very hard to find the ID part on the screeners.

But the one thing I did that I think works to my advantage is staying calm. If I had gotten irate, then more than likely I would have been arrested, and then there definately would be the documentation for the incident. But as I did not it makes the incident harder for them to remember. Also I wonder what I could have accomplished here by making a scene. (I cannot think of a positive experience that could arise.)

Anyway this is definately a lesson learned experience.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:21 am

I have just read this entire thread and my jaw has just hit the floor!!! I also have these VW Keys for my Passat and there is a reason why these keys are foldable......they are really soft and bend without much force. I should know I have just had to replace my key because I got it caught in a shopping basket and bend it to the extent it couldn't be repaired.

I wear my key on a lanyard so I don't have to take a handbag which can be snatched or left unattended (I only have 2 hands). On this paticular morning I forgot to fold it away when I entered the store. During my shopping I had to reach into a deeper basket to retreve an article and got the key caught - as I pulled away with it still hanging around my neck I saw it bend........ After having to have someone bring me my spare key I first went to a key repair & cut place - he sent me straight to VW because apparently if you try to repair these keys they break in 2. In my case it was 150 Euros to replace the key and another 75 to reprogramme it.

Some of these TSA people must live in another world.....as these key are just about as commen as sea sand now days.....
Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by moeve
Some of these TSA people must live in another world.....as these key are just about as commen as sea sand now days.....
They do... one that's completely American and anything or anyone "foreign" is seen as a bad influence.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:39 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
1) Should have taken down the names of the screeners in question.
If TSA DFW's stance remains that "it never happened", it shouldn't be too difficult to identify those involved - date & time, flight number, concourse etc. The question is how hard your champions (the media) are going to press the issue, I doubt you'd get far trying to investigate personally.

Unfortunately, this will probably be quickly forgotten or glossed over as just another TSA foible . Unless some congressperson gets his/her keys confiscated.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Members of Congress have the ability to say, "I'm a member of Congress, and if you steal my car keys, you'll be very, very sorry. You may find yourself screening passengers in Timbuktu." It's amazing the effect that can have on the typical TSA screener!

Bruce
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:04 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Marriott Silver
Considering that your Audi key is a "dangerous weapon", I guess that next time I go through security I can expect:
1. My pens to be taken...could stab someone with these.
2. My laptop AC adapter to be taken...I could bludgeon the flight attendant.
3. My bottled water to be confiscated...water could short out the plane's electrical system.
4. My LED flashlight gone...I might blind someone.
5. My cell phone confiscated...I could turn it on and run the plane thousands of miles off course.

I genuinely want to support the government and TSA...but I find it harder to do so every day. I was happy to see this:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/...868030,00.html
Come out of a local (sort of) politico the other day. TSA folks/department...I understand, respect and agree with your mission. But your implementation sucks.

Last edited by H2O_Goalie; Jun 22, 2005 at 12:06 pm Reason: Bad grammar/syntax
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:30 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
I did not read through all the replies but will add my .02 anyway.

Maybe the car owner should ask the dealer to reimburse the cost of the new key thereby waiving the cost, and also start a movement to have Audi recall all of those keys. Also put Audi and the dealer on notice about being asked to reimburse the cost of any TSA penalties. Also make a claim against TSA as if the item were "lost or damaged during inspection".

Actually what should he have done? Turned around and not flown?

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllanJ
I did not read through all the replies but will add my .02 anyway.

Actually what should he have done? Turned around and not flown?
I think the OP made it fairly clear that turning around and not flying was not going to preserve the OP's property against the screeners' theft. The A-holes confiscated the key as if it were a gun or knife.

Truly, freakin' UNBELIEVABLE.

But then again, since everything changed on September 11, 2001, nothing's really over the top anymore. Not even theft under color of law by US government employees.

Just watch - at some point, screeners somewhere in the USA will determine that new US currency can be sharp, and those $100s will have to be confiscated. Everything changed on September 11, you know.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 1:07 am
apl

Originally Posted by AllanJ
and also start a movement to have Audi recall all of those keys.
I hope they don't recall those keys. It's rather enjoyable to be walking around and repeatedly click the button to open the key, then immediately grab and close with your finger. (Most people who have these keys will know exactly what I'm talking about.)

I agree with an earlier poster that these keys have much less danger than a regular car or house key. They are flat on all five sides (I'm including the tip), with the key pattern carved into the sides. I've gotten to hotels with zip ties on my luggage and needed to cut the ties with my keys, with absolutely no headway made with the car key. My house key with a carved edge works at least a little better.

Regardless, could be interesting tomorrow as I fly out of SEA with my Audi key in my carryon. At least if anyone questions it (no one ever has before), the OP's misfortune will have me alert enough to remember names/numbers/etc.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 1:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
This thread has generated a great deal of interest in the media and has garnered a LOT of page views in the last few days. To make it easier to locate for new visitors to this Forum, MSY-MSP has suggested the new thread title which now appears on this thread.
FYI.

Cholula

Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.