Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United offers 5,000 Bonus Miles between the U.S. and Japan MPD015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM

Between January 1 and March 31, 2005, earn 5,000 bonus miles+ upon the completion of a paid, qualifying United transpacific roundtrip between the United States and Japan. Registration is required. You need only register once. To register please visit www.united.com/offer/mpd015.

+Terms and Conditions for 5,000 bonus miles offer:
*To qualify for the flight bonus, members must purchase and complete one qualifying roundtrip flight from the United States to Japan on United® between January 1, 2005 and March 31, 2005. For this offer, a transpacific roundtrip is required and only transpacific roundtrips are eligible for the bonus. Open jaws or circle trips are allowed as long as travel includes roundtrip transpacific sectors on United. Offer not valid if the itinerary includes flights to/from Hawaii.
*Valid only for residents of the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands with E-tickets purchased in these locations
*Earn 5,000 bonus miles for purchasing and flying United First® (F, A), United Business® (C, D), United Economy® (Y, B, M, H, Q, V, W, S, T) class fares only.
*Flight Bonus may be earned a maximum of three times.
*Bonus is in addition to paid flight miles and any applicable elite and class of service bonus. Bonus miles apply to base flight miles only and do not count toward elite status.
*Offer valid on all qualifying, paid published fares.
*Not valid on government fares.
*Registration Requirement: Passenger must register for this offer prior to departure in order to qualify for the bonus offer. Please visit united.com/offer/mpd015 for more information and to register.
*E-ticketsm purchase is required.
*Valid only on flights operated by United and not valid on United marketed code share flights operated by other carriers.
*Must be a Mileage Plus member to participate in the offer.
*Flights must be credited to the Mileage Plus account in order to qualify.
*Miles accrued, awards issued and bonus offers are subject to the rules of the United Mileage Plus program. The Mileage Plus Program, including accruals, awards and bonus miles offers, is subject to change without notice. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the passenger. United and Mileage Plus are registered service marks. For complete details about the Mileage Plus program, visit united.com please allow 6 to 8 weeks after completed qualifying activity for bonus miles to be posted to your Mileage Plus account. Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:15 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Thanks - thought this would net me some extra miles but it looks like it is only good for tickets PURCHASED after Jan 1, sigh..... as opposed to one I have already purchased for the SIN crab feast (fest?)
Old Dec 15, 2004, 9:53 am

Programs: UAL 1K
In my email, it says "Purchase your fare December 14, 2004 through January 5, 2005 for travel January 5 through March 20, 2005"

Still not going to help you for existing Reservations though.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Good thing my exchange students have been a little slow in synching their schedules for my late January SEA-NRT trip, so I will qualify for this promo when I book my trip. ^
Old Dec 15, 2004, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Originally Posted by SEA_Geek
In my email, it says "Purchase your fare December 14, 2004 through January 5, 2005 for travel January 5 through March 20, 2005"

Still not going to help you for existing Reservations though.
Two questions for the cognoscenti:

1. If a ticket is reissued due to schedule changes by UA, would this allow the promo to kick in? (My DCA-ORD-DCA segments changed)

2. I'm on ORD-(NRT)-BKK-ORD. I got them to change ORD-BKK to ORD-NRT-BKK to get the extra miles for the NRT stop (It's UA881) but haven't gotten the BKK-ORD (UA882) broken into segments yet. (I was told I'd get the extra miles due to a UA screw-up in the initial booking - all noted in the PNR) Is it worth trying to get the BKK-NRT-ORD breakdown for the 5K miles, assuming #1 allows me to benefit? I believe this would also be a reissue, and I'm pretty sure I could get it done.

Last edited by nor4; Dec 15, 2004 at 3:19 pm
Old Dec 15, 2004, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA_Geek
This is completely wrong and misleading information. These dates of purchase quoted above are for the promotional fares between the U.S. and Japan. It is in a section advertising sample fares clearly delineated above the information for MPD015. Please review the email again.

The promotion T&C clearly states that any trip from the U.S. to Japan, between January 1 and March 31, 2005, that fits MP qualifications receives the 5,000 bonus, regardless of purchase date.

Last edited by CApreppie; Dec 15, 2004 at 8:32 pm Reason: Typo
Old Dec 15, 2004, 7:50 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
No good for me

Unfortunately, this deal isn't available for travel originating in Japan.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Unfortunately, this deal isn't available for travel originating in Japan.
As usual, Hawaii residents are left out of yet another UA U.S.-Japan promotion. Seems like UA doesn't consider us a part of the U.S.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Will this work?

Based on previous bonus mile offers that required a round trip to one area, as this one does, will a SFO-NRT-BKK and back trip qualify?
Thanks!
Kate
Old Dec 16, 2004, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by CApreppie
The promotion T&C clearly states that any trip from the U.S. to Japan, between January 1 and March 31, 2005, that fits MP qualifications receives the 5,000 bonus, regardless of purchase date.
BUT:

"To qualify for the flight bonus, members must purchase and complete one qualifying roundtrip flight from the United States to Japan on United® between January 1, 2005 and March 31, 2005"

It appears from the T&C that the tix must be purchased on or after January 1, not "regardless of purchase date"

CApreppie, do you have some additional information to clear this up?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by kykate
Based on previous bonus mile offers that required a round trip to one area, as this one does, will a SFO-NRT-BKK and back trip qualify?
Thanks!
Kate
Kate,

If you have separate flight numbers (best) or separate legs on the same flight number (riskier), this should count. The problem is the one I raised of an ORD-BKK flight (all on UA881) with an actual stop (and plane change) in NRT but it's not listed on the itin as a stop. It's best to break up segments when the tik is purchased. I've learned that this can be done, even if so agents say it can't. Otherwise try to make the case after the fact, but before leaving. This is more of a hassle for the tik agent, but again it can be done. It will require a supervisor's intervention though.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nor4
BUT: "To qualify for the flight bonus, members must purchase and complete one qualifying roundtrip flight from the United States to Japan on United® between January 1, 2005 and March 31, 2005"

It appears from the T&C that the tix must be purchased on or after January 1, not "regardless of purchase date"

CApreppie, do you have some additional information to clear this up?
I called up MP Customer Service twice to ask about this promotion and to clarify a couple questions raised. This is what I found out:

1) Ticket(s) may be purchased before the start of the promotion. I talked to two different agents who said that I would get the bonus miles as long as I met the conditions of the trip & ticket regardless of ticket purchase date.

2) Roundtrip/ticket(s) cannot use Japan as a connection to other destinations. The end destination must be Japan to receive the bonus according to MP. Both agents came back with this, but the first agent put me on hold and asked a supervisor for this clarification.

3) As of 12/16/04, the computer profile for the promotion has been mislabeled. The agent had to search and discovered it is under MPD'O'15 instead of the correct '0'15. Obviously, someone at UA cannot determine the difference between O's and 0's. Hopefully fixed soon.

As with all MP promotions that you flying and have questions about, I recommend calling up MP yourself to clarify, get an agent name, and have them notate your account if you are concerned about proper posting.

Maybe someone else has called up MP Customer Service and got the same or different answers?

Last edited by CApreppie; Dec 16, 2004 at 1:00 pm Reason: Typo
Old Dec 16, 2004, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by nor4
Kate,

If you have separate flight numbers (best) or separate legs on the same flight number (riskier), this should count. The problem is the one I raised of an ORD-BKK flight (all on UA881) with an actual stop (and plane change) in NRT but it's not listed on the itin as a stop. It's best to break up segments when the tik is purchased. I've learned that this can be done, even if so agents say it can't. Otherwise try to make the case after the fact, but before leaving. This is more of a hassle for the tik agent, but again it can be done. It will require a supervisor's intervention though.
Kate, I view of CApreppie's discussion with the MP desk, I'll have to retract my statement that separate flight numbers to NRT with a continuation to BKK will count for this promo. I'm going to call MP and see if I can get them to OK this, but based on current info, that would be an exception. But calling back until you get the "right" answer often works.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
The flights I am looking at right now are separate flight numbers from SFO to NRT and NRT to BKK. However, I have not booked the tickets yet. I have to get to SE Asia, but might also go for the triple miles to SGN promo, as that is my ultimate destination.
I am waiting for confirmation on the dates in Vietnam before booking, as this group can be very "fluid" with their dates.
Thanks for the input. I will continue to monitor the thread.
Kate
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Has anyone who had a Japan connection received the 5K bonus? I know a poster above said you would not, but often what MP tells you and what ual.com programmers code is different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.