Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2004, 3:04 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Triples miles to SGN (Saigon) - possible 4.5x miles

Just got email. I was planning a trip to Saigon anyway

Dear Mr gfowler-ord-1k,

Soon you’ll be able to enjoy daily service from San Francisco to Ho Chi Minh City (with one stop in Hong Kong) on United. Plus, you’ll earn triple miles when you register and fly a paid, qualifying roundtrip from Hong Kong to Vietnam between December 10, 2004 and March 31, 2005. Offer is valid in all booking classes.

Starting December 10, 2004, United will be the first U.S. airline to serve Vietnam in nearly 30 years with service from Hong Kong. And since Vietnam has one of the fastest growing economies in the world, this service will be very welcome, especially if your company does business in Vietnam. All flights will be on a wide-body B747-400 offering all three classes of service.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Offer valid for qualifying travel between Hong Kong and Vietnam from December 10, 2004 through March 31, 2005. Offer not combinable with other offers. Offer may be earned an unlimited number of times. Offer valid in all paid published fares. Roundtrip is required. A roundtrip is defined as travel from an origin city to a destination city with return travel beginning in the outbound destination city back to the first origin city with all segments on United. Open jaws and circle trips not allowed. E-Ticket(SM) purchase required in U.S. Registration required by March 31, 2005. Not valid on government fares. Valid only on flights operated by United and not valid on United-marketed code-share flights operated by other carriers. Must be a Mileage Plus member to participate in the offer. Flights must be credited to the Mileage Plus account in order to qualify. Triple miles apply to base flight miles only and do not count toward elite status. Triple miles are in addition to any applicable elite and class-of-service bonuses. Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. Miles accrued, awards issued and bonus offers are subject to the rules of the United Mileage Plus program. Triple miles will be deposited 6–8 weeks upon completion of qualifying travel. The Mileage Plus Program, including accruals, awards and bonus miles offers, is subject to change without notice. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the passenger. United and Mileage Plus are registered service marks. For complete details about the Mileage Plus program, visit united.com. (MPA 234)

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Dec 7, 2004 at 3:15 pm
Old Dec 7, 2004, 3:08 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
Plus, you’ll earn triple miles when you register and fly a paid, qualifying roundtrip from Hong Kong to Vietnam between December 10, 2004 and March 31, 2005.
So are the triple miles only on the HKG-SGN-HKG segments (and not the transpac)?
Old Dec 7, 2004, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, Leaders Club
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
So are the triple miles only on the HKG-SGN-HKG segments (and not the transpac)?
You are right! Only on HKG - SGN roundtrip.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 3:19 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by hugochan
You are right! Only on HKG - SGN roundtrip.
That might be possible, but difficult for the bonus software to give bonus credit for the HKG-SGN segment only if you book it as a "direct" flight from SFO (UA869). Another ambiguous T&C.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Dec 7, 2004 at 3:28 pm
Old Dec 7, 2004, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Anyone know the distance between HKG and SGN is?
Old Dec 7, 2004, 3:37 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Motion122
Anyone know the distance between HKG and SGN is?
925 miles according to Flying Fish.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
925 miles according to Flying Fish.
Not much even at triple the miles!

Now, SFO-HKG-SGN triple miles would be nice!
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
That might be possible, but difficult for the bonus software to give bonus credit for the HKG-SGN segment only if you book it as a "direct" flight from SFO (UA869). Another ambiguous T&C.
These vague T&C's continue to make me wonder whether the people responsbile for MP promotions actually know anything about the service/product their company provides. Obviously, they aren't held accountable for the junk they put out--it continues time and time again.

So who's going to be the FT hero who is going to call up UA and flesh this one out?

Last edited by CApreppie; Dec 7, 2004 at 4:32 pm
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, Leaders Club
Originally Posted by CApreppie
These vague T&C's continue to make me wonder whether the people responsbile for MP promotions actually know anything about the service/product their company provides. Obviously, they aren't held accountable for the junk they put out--it continues time and time again.

So who's going to be the FT hero who is going to call up UA hand flesh this one out?
I think they does this to match the bonus put up for United Hong Kong. UAL HK offers practically the same bonus miles, and a free night of hotel on the 2nd night in a participating hotel.

http://www.unitedairlines.com.hk/hom...ipating_hotels
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:45 pm

Programs: united premier exec, marriott platinum
Well, I'd be a hero if I had good news to share, but...

The first line of the T&C is pretty clear. Just got off the phone with MP and they confirm. Triple bonus miles are for Hong Kong-Saigon segments only.

A nice little bit of trickery by United. Not false advertising, but certainly misleading. File this under ``if it's too good to be true...''
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Oh, those scoundrels at United... up to their evil ways again with trying to mislead those gullible travelers!

Seriously, though.. the offer clearly states:

"Plus, you’ll earn triple miles when you register and fly a paid, qualifying roundtrip from Hong Kong to Vietnam between December 10, 2004 and March 31, 2005. Offer is valid in all booking classes."

Originally Posted by sfobound
A nice little bit of trickery by United. Not false advertising, but certainly misleading. File this under ``if it's too good to be true...''
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I also called MP and got an agent who was going to look into it and give me a call back when she could talk to the person in the office who dealt with promotions.

She looked at the flight schedules and definitely saw how the promotion wasn't very clear about UA869 SFO-SGN. UA869 is direct flight between the two cities with a plane change in HKG, but keeping the same flight number. MP credits those flights as a SFO-SGN nonstop. She agreed that it would be invconvenient to fly to ORD then HKG then SGN to get two separate flight numbers for the promo.

From the T&C, MP was clear that they intended to award 3X miles to only HKG-SGN. I have a feeling we won't be lucky for 3X for all of UA869. IMHO, it'll be between awarding an additional 3X HKG-SGN miles manually for those on UA869 or that flight on one PNR is completely out of luck.

Last edited by CApreppie; Dec 7, 2004 at 5:26 pm Reason: Typo
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P
This sucks!

I got this email as well.
I thought I was going to be earning triple miles PHL-SGN.
I was all set to cancel my spring break trip PHL-MIA-LIM (AA) in March to make this run.
Well, better luck next time.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:49 pm

Programs: 1P lusting for 1K
Was on ual.com, ready to click the "buy" button. Decided to read the email over one more time....hit "cancel" instead of buy. Oh well..
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

**Update: MP got back to me and said that UA869 SFO-SGN would not qualify for the promotion at all. I'm not surprised and expected this answer. The only way to get the 3X HKG-SGN is to connect from ORD or to have buy UA869 as SFO-HKG and HKG-SGN on two separate PNRs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.