Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Celebrate 169 years of Texas Independence in lovely San Antonio, March 4-6, 2005

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebrate 169 years of Texas Independence in lovely San Antonio, March 4-6, 2005

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:09 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum

paradocs and Middle_Seat would like to invite the entire FlyerTalk community to the 2005 Texas Independence Do in San Antonio, Texas, USA. Have fun with your FT friends in the Alamo City on March 4 - 6, 2005.

This time of year we usually have mild weather. We hope to be in shorts enjoying the sunshine. It would be a great escape for those of you still facing a dreary winter.

Please be sure to check message #3 for who is coming and when their flights are. This will allow some of you to share cabs.

Check message #4 to see who is staying where.

Friday
6PM-7:45PM Reception hosted by Westin (appetizers and drinks) [Westin is treating us to this!]
8PM Dinner in the Westin's Restaurant (The chef is going to work with us and will offer 3 entree choices) This is great because we don't have to worry about minimums that many Riverwalk Restaurants require. [We are able to pay individually. I think we are looking at $25-35 per person and will correct this if I am off]
Update: It is unknown as to whether we will order from the menu or from a limited selection. We're playing this one by ear.

Saturday
11AM IMAX movie on the Alamo Update: Meet in the Westin lobby at 10:25 to walk to the Imax. Or if more convenient meet at the Imax Lobby at 10:45.
12PM Visit the Alamo [free but they accept donations to maintain the shrine]
1:30PM Lunch at Countyline BBQ:no reservations are accepted for a Saturday in March. We will order off the menu thus no all you can eat.
[Update
: We have a reservation for 1:30. This means we should be sitting together rather than scattered.

interlude: Shopping, museums, wandering around in small groups

4:30-6PM Barge cruise with narrator, appetizers and drinks. Pick up is at the Westin. Cash bar
6:00-7:00 Possible trip to Tower of Americas for a drink and the view (only if a clear day)
7:15PM Dinner: Cafe Ole [We are able to order from the menu with no minimums. mrspilot has put up the $200 fee to have a private room. We will pass the hat until we fill it with $200 to pay her back. That will be about $5 per person]

Sunday
10:30 Brunch at La Mansion [paid individually. Somewhere in this post someone researched the cost and menu. I seem to recall it was $35 per person. Let me know if I am off base]

Late night hangouts will be the Westin Bar or Zen Buda Ultra Lounge. The latter is a hip new place that's really hot. I went to check it out yesterday afternoon. [/B]
[This would be paid individually and remember it's an Idine]

Last edited by paradocs; Mar 4, 2005 at 9:56 am
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
San Antonio is Texas' most exciting destination, with the River Walk, the Alamo, La Villita, the Tower of the Americas, four Spanish missions, the San Antonio Zoo, and (of special interest to some FlyerTalkers) the famous Buckhorn Saloon. Just up the road are several commercial caves, the Texas Hill Country and the State Capitol in Austin. There is a huge outlet mall in San Marcos (40 minutes north on the way to Austin). Laredo Mexico is a couple of hours south for border town shopping.

The SA Spurs play Chicago March 4th and Utah on March 6th. Both are home games.

Many FTers know about paradocs' affinity for iDine restaurants. She and her family earn a ton of miles by eating out. For this Do, she has selected an excellent iDine restaurant at a prime River Walk location for dinner. The name is Acenar and it is upscale in decor with fabulous Mexican cuisine.

Last edited by Middle_Seat; Dec 4, 2004 at 10:28 pm
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:18 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Here is a list of RSVP's:

Yes:

MsEverywhere
04MAR05 AA1408 DFW 10:07P SAT 11:07P
06MAR05 AA1712 SAT 1:00P DFW 2:05P
Middle_Seat
paradocs and a cameo by Dr. paradocs:

Paradocs will be available to meet and greet Friday afternoon.
Starwood Lurker and Mrs. Lurker
Driving from Austin
Monitor and Franny:
[Mar 04 CO #779 IAH- SAT Arrives 1255PM]
[Mar 07 CO #761 SAT-EWR Departs 255PM]
Dorlee and Leonard:
[Mar 04 DL #407 ATL - SAT arrives @ 12:35 P]
[Mar 06 DL #1583 SAT - ATL departs @ 1:40 P]
punki and hunki
Mar 04 04:38 PM arrival
Mar 07 06:25 AM depart SAT
CFM3RD
JulieAA

Arrival Friday On AA
SAN #522 06:18 AM
DFW #1079 12:12 PM SAT 01:18 PM
Depart Sunday
SAT #1828 07:59 PM
DFW #1601 09:57 PM SAN 11:02 PM
hauteboy
driving in from Austin
satx78223
coplatsat
rockdocs
FemaleFlyer and guest
brp and girlfriend of brp:

[Sat Mar 05 AA 1241 DFW-SAT 3:00 PM]
[Sun Mar 06 AA 1140 SAT-DFW 5:50 PM]
indufan
DL5520 04MAR05 Y OK CVG 1250P SAT 255P
DL224 07MAR05 B OK SAT 815A ATL 1123A
studley
04MAR05 AA1408 DFW 10:07P SAT 11:07P
06MAR05 AA1848 SAT 11:34A DFW 12:42P
Corey78 and Boy Friend
mrspilot and mrpilot
live in the SAT area
platbrownguy
AA1823, DFW-SAT, 17:13-18:18 Friday.
lili-dui
AA #1079 arriving 1:10 pm Friday
AA #1828 leaving 7:59 pm Sunday
1993gt40
KLC

arriving Friday, 3/4 - DL 728 - 9:29pm
departing Sunday, 3/6 - DL 1189 - 3:55pm
swise and Mr. swise
Driving in from Austin: To arrive 10AM Saturday
DLfan
I'll be arriving Mar 4 at 1:50P from ATL on DL1193 and departing early on Mar 7 to ATL on DL1594. I'll have a car, so if anyone on those flights needs a ride to/from the airport, send me a PM so I'll know to look for you.
Frenchy Flyer
Driving in

Definite Probables (Thanks, Monitor, for confusing things! )

uthornsgo
redhead26
baglady
Daniel

Possibly:

3ata
skye1
myefre
ChaseTheMiles
doctajay
iwantanupgrade
ssullivan
UALfrom MSN
vachataboon
luckypierre
Mr. and Mrs. flyastrojets

Last edited by paradocs; Mar 2, 2005 at 10:51 pm
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Lodging Options

The central event hotel is the Westin Riverwalk, thanks to some very kind and proactive steps made by Starwood. We all wish to thank Starwood Lurker and Kelly (Kelly works at the hotel.) for their efforts to make this a great DO.

The first alternate hotel is the Fairfield Inn DowntownMarket Square.

The second alternate hotel is the Holiday Inn Downtown.

Westin Riverwalk:
A custom Web site for FLYERTALK SAT DO occurring (04 March 2005 - 07 March 2005) has been created. Guests can access the site to learn more about the event and to book, modify, or cancel a reservation from 12 December 2004 to 08 March 2005

Access to the FLYERTALK SAT DO site can be obtained by going to this link: http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarG...23895&key=C11D

The property description is here.

Fairfield Inn Downtown Market Square
This is an economical option to the Westin Riverwalk. It is located about 3/4 mile (roughly 8 blocks) from the Riverwalk. The property description is here.

Holiday Inn Downtown
This inn is located close to the Fairfield, and is what I got while bidding on Priceline (message #33, below). The property description is here.

Please let Middle_Seat or paradocs know your choice in lodging so that we can keep this post updated.

Westin Riverwalk:
dallasflyer
Dorlee and Leonard
monitor & Franny
Punki & Hunki
flyastrojets
indufan
Corey78 & bf
brp and gf guest
lili-dui
platbrownguy
Steve M
DLfan
KLC
Belle (most likely)
indufan
JulieAA

Fairfield Inn Downtown Market Square:
MsEverywhere
studley

Holiday Inn Downtown Riverwalk:
Middle_Seat

Hyatt:

Marriott Riverwalk:
dan1431
empedocles and Mrs. empedocles
paradocs

Last edited by Middle_Seat; Mar 3, 2005 at 5:09 am
Old Dec 5, 2004, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Edited

(Ooops... won't be attending afterall... scheduling conflict.)

Last edited by techgirl; Dec 19, 2004 at 10:59 am
Old Dec 5, 2004, 7:55 am

Programs: DL PM MM
Originally Posted by paradocs
Here is a list of RSVP's:

Yes:

Possibly:
I would love to see you again, Paradocs . Please put me on the possible list. I was sorry you couldn't be in VCE, because I wanted to drag you to some more museums
Old Dec 5, 2004, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
It sounds good to me! Count me in.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 12:19 pm

Location: Bullhead, AZ out of McCarran (Las Vegas) International Airport
Programs: AA & SPG
Smile

Put me down as a maybe. I'm still not sure what my scheduling will be like at that time.

I love San Antonio! I spend many summers visiting relatives there when I was a child.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:18 am

Programs: Little of this, a little of that,..
Assuming I am not in Heidelberg, Count me in!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Plat
Since this a Texas Do put me down as a maybe. I won't know for sure until I know about a meeting that is normally held in March and I probably won't the exact date until February.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 3:28 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Too close to miss this one. Please add me to the confirmed list.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:00 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Talking The Riverwalk Rules!!

San Antonio is indeed a really cool city! That Riverwalk is AWESOME! Put me down as a maybe! I'm planning on attending the other "do" the following weekend, and will know closer to then if I can get away both consecutive weekends. Sounds like fun!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 5:33 pm

RSVP = regrets

Wish I could join you... but I don't think I'll be able to make it back to Texas until the fall. (I'll confess -- I'm actually considering planning my trip around Halloween just so I can take part in Austin's 6th Street parade of costumed revelers.)

Have a great time! And if you need some ideas on food in Austin, my latest "finds" are in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348354
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:55 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Well, I am delighted with the response so far! Thanks to all of you for answering! techgirl:: Thank you for breaking the ice. I am so glad you are coming!! Dorlee: Please do what ever it takes to get you and Leonard here! It would be so fabulous to have you as a guest in our city. I promise to take you to any museum you desire. Starwood Lurker: I am thrilled you are coming! Maybe we can have that Countyline BBQ we have been waiting to enjoy together.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by techgirl
How can I say "no" to a Texas DO, especially when I haven't done a SAN weekend in ages?!
Just don't buy a ticket to SAN or we might not get to meet you.

Count me in as well. Acenar is pretty good if you like contemporary Tex-Mex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.