Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

MSP-HNL and HNL-MSP Nonstops: F Menus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE

Aloha All,

Am taking a little survey.

If anyone has flown MSP-HNL and HNL-MSP (nonstop flights only) in F, could you please share the menus here?

Also, please answer the following:

MSP-HNL

1. Were Mai Tais offered/available?

2. Was a snack offered prior to arrival in HNL? Was it offered approximately 1 hour out of HNL? If so, was there a choice offered?

3. Were mimosas offered at the gate in MSP?

4. Were ice cream sundaes available?

HNL-MSP

5. Were Mai Tais ofefred/available?

6. Was a light breakfast offered prior to arrival in MSP? Was it offered approximately 1 hour out of MSP? If so, was there a choice offered?

7. Were pre-departure mimosas offered at the gate in HNL?

8. Were ice cream sundaes offered?

Finally, did your seat have a footrest?

Mahalo (Thanks),
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:39 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I flew back in Aug.

The menu : I think I have some sort of pork with bean on the side. It wasn't impressive though. I really couldn't remember what I had. There is red / white wine available.

MSP - HNL.
1. Yes, Mai Tai or orange juice is offered as soon as we boarded.
2. I really don't remember. I think yes, but not sure if it's an hour out of HNL.
3. No mimosa at gate.
4. No sundae.

HNL - MSP
5. Yes.
6. Yes. But I missed it because FA thought I was asleep. By the time I asked, they ran out. I think it's some kind of omelette.
7. No. The departure area was like cattle ranch. So packed.
8. No.
9. Yes.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta murdered it. RIP WorldPerks
I've done MSP-HNL in F:

June 16
August 17

...and HNL-MSP in F:

July 3
August 20
September 17

I've found the found going out to HNL just a tiny bit better than domestic F. I've had some sort of way-to-cheesy lasagna and also a chicken dish. Both of which were edible but not particularly enjoyable. It should be noted one was the early flight and one the late.

HNL-MSP has been generally better. The dinner meal is filling and sometimes tasty. Once a beef, once a chicken, and once some sort of pasta dish. Always with a good salad or side dish.

Altogether the menus are not anywhere near WBC and are not that memorable.

MSP-HNL

1. 50% on Mai Tais. Not on the early flight. Personally I like to drink around the clock.

2. Yes, a very tasty deli plate. Think lots of greasy meat and jack cheese with olives, olive oil, and peppers. Also a roll and some sinful chocolate cake. The snack was a dieter's nightmare but altogether the best part of the flight for me. I'd say it was closer to 1.5 hours...not sure about that though.

3. No. I will ask for one when I do MSP-HNL in F next week.

4. Negative on sundaes on the return.

HNL-MSP

5. Yes, on all three flights.

6. Yes, though the breakfast was a big disappointment for me all three times I've done it. 1 hour out sounds about right. The "choice" was cold cereal or yogurt. Also a banana and OJ. I must repeat, big disappointment. I'd figure we'd be treated to a hot breakfast such as mid-con F flights - like fruit plate then sausage/egg/taters with one of those great muffins on the side. No such luck.

7. Negative on mimosas. I'm really missing out.

8. Yes, always. Though I pass as after that dinner only coffee ice cream would be worth the extra calories!

(9.) Yes, both ways - DC-10-30ER has WBC "lite" seating w/ footrests.

Altogether not a bad combination of flights and I'm looking forward to my flight next week.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I flew MSP-HNL last week in F and HNL-MSP in F a week and a half before that.

MSP-HNL

1. Were Mai Tais offered/available? Yes

2. Was a snack offered prior to arrival in HNL? Was it offered approximately 1 hour out of HNL? If so, was there a choice offered? Yes. The choice was pasta salad.

3. Were mimosas offered at the gate in MSP? No. it's Mai Tais, water and/or OJ.

4. Were ice cream sundaes available? Yes.

HNL-MSP

5. Were Mai Tais ofefred/available? Yes.

6. Was a light breakfast offered prior to arrival in MSP? Was it offered approximately 1 hour out of MSP? If so, was there a choice offered? Yes. No choice here again.

7. Were pre-departure mimosas offered at the gate in HNL? No. It's UA with the mimosas here. NW with the mai tais on board.

8. Were ice cream sundaes offered? Yes.

Finally, did your seat have a footrest? Yes.

aloha
Old Nov 30, 2004, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Thank you all. Its interesting to compare to other airlines.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:35 pm

Thumbs up Yes Mimosa can be made on request.

Champagne is available in F class to/from HI flights. You can request Mimosa also for your pre-departure bev. Company standard is only to open the champagne when there's a request. So we normally don't walk around offering champagne to customers during pre-departure . Usually customers are happy to see the Mai-tai drink with its little umbrella and instantly forget about any other drink they were thinking before.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SeaMeFly
Champagne is available in F class to/from HI flights. You can request Mimosa also for your pre-departure bev. Company standard is only to open the champagne when there's a request. So we normally don't walk around offering champagne to customers during pre-departure . Usually customers are happy to see the Mai-tai drink with its little umbrella and instantly forget about any other drink they were thinking before.
Interesting, on my last two flights, my seatmate asked for something other than Mai Tais and the response was, "I'm sorry, we can serve anything else except for mai tais, water and orange juice until we get up in the air." Is this company policy?

aloha
Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:13 am

Lazy FA = Lack of Service

I supposed you got the lazy FAs working the pre-departure. HI shouldn't be treated like int'l flights when it comes to pre-departure. On Int'l flights, the only liquor kits that we can open are the pre-departure kits. Others shouldn't be opened until we're up in the air. Next time, ask the purser (or LFA if flying on 757) about this.

I sometimes even ask people if they want other things beside mai-tai, oj, and water that we usually pre-poured prior to boarding. Specially to newly weds I usually tell them that we do also have champagne should they want us to open it for them.

One time we had a birthday onboard the FC cabin with a family of 6 (all kids were grown up anyway), so I just brought to them a bottle of champagne and opened it for them. I also offered it to the rest of the cabin. It was a happy flight to begin and to end with bottles of champagne.

Really, you should insist to ask the purser/LFA about what's avail what's not.

Just to let you know, on 757, we have at least 6-7 bottles of champagne provisioned on each flight. I'm sure it is more when you're flying DC-10 to HI.

Last edited by SeaMeFly; Dec 1, 2004 at 9:17 am
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That's good to know. Thanks for responding, SeaMeFly!

Hopefully I'll get to fly a 753 to SEA and have you on that flight someday?

aloha
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:38 am

Thumbs up Update w/ pictures

I did NW97 today and have some pictures and comments.

Dinner: This was served about an hour after takeoff. It was mushroom chicken with pasta, grapes, a choice of rolls, along with a salad with shrimp. Chardonnay to drink. Following dinner we had dessert of ice cream with choice of toppings (I had just a little bit knowing of the forthcoming fatkins snack). Three stars out of five.

Snack: This was served about an hour prior to arrival. They’ve served this particular snack every time I’ve done MSP-HNL in first class. I call it “faux Atkins” or “fatkins”
for short because there’s “Italian” (I think that's code for "greasy") meat, cheese, olives, pepperocinis, and a tomato-pepper-onion salad with olive oil. Are you seeing a pattern of grease here? Unfortunately for low-carbers there’s also chocolate cake and a dinner roll. The plate is like a second meal and it’s sinfully delicious, especially that salad. Merlot to drink. Five stars out of five. Sorry about the blurry photo here, the cabin was dark and I didn’t want to blind anyone so I disabled the flash.

Mai Tais, OJ, and Water offered at boarding, multiple mamosas too but I had to ask. Those were quite refreshing.

Ice cream sundaes and snack timing were right on-target. Nice service today and a friendly flight deck crew. All in all a very good flight but ~30 minutes late due to connecting passengers and deicing. No complaints.

Last edited by rmyadsk; Mar 17, 2005 at 12:06 am
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:04 pm

I love the pictures!

Originally Posted by rmyadsk
I did NW97 today and have some pictures and comments.
The best thing is the enclosure over the arm rest in front of you falling apart! It brings a smile and a groan to all NW fliers!
Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:09 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs up nice service/short trip report too

just returned from Hawaii. Family of 4, also my brother's family of 3.

Outgoing, everyone in F on two separate flights. Two tickets purchased outright with miles, all others purchased with dollars and then upgraded with miles. Three of the purchase/upgrades happened some time after booking, with heavy use of the availability tool (google: "availability tool") and brother's family had to switch to the morning flight to get their upgrade, requiring a change fee. The 3rd in their party is a lap child.

Equipment DC10 in both ways, equiped with WBC seating.

Return flights were 3 in First, 4 of us in coach. My brother's family of 3 got a center row of 5 all to themselves. Was good for junior but not so good for mom/dad. Flight was a bit hot for them, they dressed in long pants etc... getting ready for Minnesota again. My boys kept their 1st class seats and slept for much of the flight. Me and Mrs. WBL-MN-FLYER did some timesharing on the remaining FC seat. The pursar was kind enough to send me one of the boy's FC meals to my (P) seating in row 10, since the boys were asleep by meal time.

Note: There was a wait list to upgrade on the return flight. It costs $350 if they give you a seat. I asked to be put on the list but in the end, FC checked in full and boarded full so didn't have the option to make this choice. It's worth it I think, if you factor it in to the total trip, if you didn't pay too much for the ticket in the first place, etc. etc. etc.

Didn't see champagne on the way out from MSP. Did see it on the way back. Will know to ask for it next time.

Luggage storage in row 10 (coach, premium seating) is sort of funny. No space that I could see for the center row of 5 seats. Saw people running their stuff up to FC, back further in to coach, etc. Not very well thought ought. What's up with that Northwest?

Interisland flights (to Maui this time, first time for our family) were on Hawaiian. Was able to pre-board having youngsters. Very nice given the cattle call (no assigned seating) set up of these shuttle flights. Hawaiian airlines plane staff were very helpful. Our gate agent was not so helpful at Maui and so missed the pre-board opportunity, even though I had asked her about early boarding with kids.

Great experience, great place, enjoyed the HHV and the Mariott Maui Ocean Club at Lahaina/Kanapali.

Weather on maui was sort of rainy and windy for us at the resort. Different elsewhere on the islands. We made it to the North shore of Oahu to see the surfing competition but it was quite rainy and so not too much to see for our brief stop.

Didn't see and whales but did see David Bowie's house which is for sale, 1 br house with recording studio, 6 in thick wall to wall glass and a $12 million price tag. His house is fairly near other houses in south maui owned by Tiger Woods, Jack Nicholson, Clint Eastwood, Oprah Winfree and other folks with big bucks to spend on vacation homes.

Am starting to think that "Maui is the best" ain't just a slogan. It is a beautiful place. What I liked so much is the view of the other islands which we had from our abode near Kanapali.

Aloha !
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:04 am

NW97 once again

Well, I thought I'd offer an update/addendum to my response from December 6. I just did NW97 again, the later (2:30 p.m.) MSP-HNL, in F today. This meal features "dinner" about an hour after takeoff and then a snack platter about an hour and a half before landing. Below is a brief summary as it relates to the questions posed in this thread. No pictures this time though. See, my girlfriend left me shortly after the New Year so there's no one to miss me or send a photo journal to.

At the gate was service which I consider standard for this route. I boarded after most general boarding was complete, as my upgrade didn't come through until the final moments at the gate. Mai tai, orange juice, and water service was offered at the gate. I didn't see any mamosas but I'm fairly confident they were available upon request; I've flown this flight with this purser before and she's very good. I had a Mai Tai and then water.

Lunch requests took place shortly after the door was closed. Due to quasi-maintenance and deicing issues we sat for a bit but the purser took care of meal requests quickly, addressing each passenger by name. As has been the case every time I've done this route, two meal choices were available: one was "chicken with potatoes and corn", and the other was "penne pasta siwth sweet Italian sausage". I include the quotes because I've found that the description rarely matches the actual entree. Also, in my experience, most chicken dishes on NW have come with pasta and sauce anyway - Italianized several times more than advertised - so I went for the pasta dish. As before, there was a common appetizer and salad...

Drink service began at the standard time after takeoff with red and white wines as well as champagne. I went for the champagne and enjoyed refills, which I've found the crew to be quite proficient at.

The salad that accompanied the main dish was pretty weird. I'm still not sure exactly was going on there. The purser called it a Greek salad, though it had Italian dressing. To her defense, it did have olives and a pepperoncini. But it also had a sun-dried tomato. To further obfuscate, it featured a clump/slice of cheese (I think it might have been Ricotta) which had absolutely no flavor at all. To top it off (both the salad mystery and the dish itself), there was prosciutto ham and pepperoni straight out of the Fatkins platter I mentioned on December 6. I thought the salad was okay but I had had much better dressing just this past Friday and then again on my connecting flight today, a roasted red pepper vinaigrette.

I was disappointed a separate appetizer wasn't served. They had been served with previous MSP-HNL flights (shrimp with dippin' sauce, for example). I'm afraid this absence might be a planned meal "enhancement". There was the standard lone strawberry and some grapes. The meal came with the usual choice of rolls between the both-excellent French and Whole Wheat variety.

The main pasta dish was filling but mostly tasteless. One thing I've found about Northwest food: if your server doesn't specify ethnicity, figure Italian (as in the case of the chicken mentioned above). Whether or not your server specifies ethnicity, figure there's going to be several pounds of melted cheese in it. There was no sauce per se, but the pasta was quite literally smothered in cheese; thus, the "sauce" this time around was simply grease from the cheese. There was virtually no actual sausage, only a few tiny bits each no larger than a tic-tac. The entree tasted like greasy cheese, which essentially is what it was, with some pasta and "sausage" thrown in here and there. In any case the word of the day is CHEESE.

Ice cream sundaes followed the meal. You can have any flavor or ice cream you'd like, as long as it's Vanilla, with your choice of hot fudge, nuts, or strawberry sauce (or possibly all of the above). As is usually the case, I declined the sundae and had a Bailey's coffee instead.

The snack was good, but lacking when put up against my beloved Fatkins platter. It was an “Asian” chicken salad dish; I’ve had this as a domestic first lunch, DTW-TPA, a couple months ago. There was also a salad bowl with peppers and sun-dried tomatoes (again). Lite Italian dressing topped it off. There was a good cheesecake as well, different than that which I’ve had on NW before. On top of all this was a downright-perfect French roll.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rmyadsk
I was disappointed a separate appetizer wasn't served. They had been served with previous MSP-HNL flights (shrimp with dippin' sauce, for example). I'm afraid this absence might be a planned meal "enhancement". There was the standard lone strawberry and some grapes. The meal came with the usual choice of rolls between the both-excellent French and Whole Wheat variety.
The shrimp cocktail you refer to is LOOONG gone (for about five months now), unfortunately.

aloha
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:31 am

One more report

Folks,

I'm here with yet another unsolicited update on MSP-HNL service. I just did NW97 today in F and have some pictures. Overall the food was acceptable but not desirable. I'm not sure the offerings on these flights have been truncated similiar to the way domestic coach food service was recently cancelled, as I and others have been loudly complaining about, but I will say that I much preferred the food back in December.

I had a bad vision today on the way from BWI to my connection to MSP. The FA took the cart carrying the SmartSnacks for Y out of its holding pen up front of the DC-9, put the sign that said "$3" upright, and wheeled it down the aisle. In that moment I got a very bad feeling that in some days, domestic F meals might go away altogether, and the sign would simply say "First Class: Complimentary / Economy: $3". Let's hope things don't get that bad.

Anyway, bonus picture: lunch from my connecting flight from BWI. I've had this before as a HNL-PDX midnight snack in F. It's a chicken-mayo salad with dijon mustard-ish "breading" plus potatoes, green beans, cherry tomatoes, and egg bits. Overall it's okay once in a while but I don't think I could handle more than one a week. Definitely it was not without taste, but it was just too heavy and "fringe" for more frequent consumption. Plenty of chicken, though. It was served with a typical side salad with the best dressing I've ever had, a roasted red pepper vinaigrette. Served with the always-excellent French rolls and decent chocolate cake, this lunch was enjoyable. Especially because I have five glasses of red wine with it, what I call a "Northwest vintage" (sort of like the DC-9 we were riding). I give a grade of B for lunch altogether. I can't decide if it made up for the flight attendant simply skipping predeparture drink service.

Dinner was a disappointment. Apparently Northwest goes by row only, not by status, when taking meal choices. Chicken and pasta were offered somewhere between row 1 and 3, and by the time they got to 4J it was chicken only. Anyway, the chicken was probably chicken and moist enough, but it had very little taste. The red powder on top had no effect on flavor. The potatoes, likewise, were very bland. There was a relish-type salad which was warm and...edible. What I don't understand is the sauce/syrup/grease stuff. It didn't have much flavor and I'm wondering what it was there for.

The salad had a quarter head of lettuce, sort of like at Lonestar steakhouse, except this didn't have any of the good bleu cheese dressing or tomatoes. And we had to cut this with plastic forks. So basically it was just a boring piece of lettuce wedge. Next to that was a confusing stack of food which included some prosciutto ham and pepperoni (ah...flashbacks to Fatkins), along with a piece of tasteless cheese. I'm not sure what type of cheese it is - I want to say Ricotta but I know it's not that - somewhat more solid but very moist and tastes like water. Anyway, they tossed some olives and a pepperoncini in there too. The salad was accompanied by boring Italian dressing. I don't know if this is a "salatizer" as has been discussed recently, but it wasn't that great in any case.

Also there was a lone strawberry and some grapes, and an excellent French roll. The regular ice cream offering (vanilla, with choice of chocolate sauce, strawberry sauce, or nuts) followed dinner. There was nothing particularly interesting or flavorful about this meal. I give it a D.

I had high hopes for a Fatkins snack prior to arrival. Instead it was a cold pasta-mayo dish which I've had as lunch on BWI-MSP and DTW-TPA before. They called it an Asian Chicken Salad then, but there was very little Asian or Chicken to it. I had, count it, one small piece of chicken in there. Mostly it was bowtie pasta with a mayo sauce, and some Mandarin oranges or something...I guess that's how they came up with "Asian". It was served with a typical side salad (i.e. lettuce wedge, cherry tomato, and two olives) and the same old boring Italian dressing from dinner. A fine French roll and a piece of the super-sugary cheesecake, with nice strawberry sauce, accompanied. A grade of C for the snack. It was filling but not particularly satisfying. And I do miss the sheer guilty pleasure of the Fatkins platter.

Anyway, an okay but far from exceptional flight all-in. I'm away from home for a month and I'm set to do NW98 up in F on tax day. I'll probably have a full report...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.