Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Big Zoo Discontinues Service Eff. Jan 31, 05

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2004, 7:38 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

What's a great cheap alternative these days. Big Zoo was so cheap (espeically in Europe) and so easy to use. Now what???? Bad day for us international callers.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 7:55 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
BigZoo was great until Skype came around. No charges between skype users and virtually 0,02Euros anywhere in the world, save same cities/countries.

Give skype a try!
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
They also eliminated their responsibility for Big Zoo points with no credit for points previously earned, rather cheesy way to exit.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:49 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlflyer2
They also eliminated their responsibility for Big Zoo points with no credit for points previously earned, rather cheesy way to exit.
I agree, I had a bunch of points.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:41 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Unhappy Sorry to see them go

I am so sorry to see them go. I used them for years and saved so much money I can't count it all. I was recommending them just last week for both telephone and internet.

At least they mentioned refunds (although I'm sure they would rather have people use their balance up).

I guess with things like Skype and Packet8.net and cellphones with unlimited calls, it was bound to happen.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:28 pm

What a shame...

Originally Posted by birdyy
What's a great cheap alternative these days. Big Zoo was so cheap (espeically in Europe) and so easy to use. Now what???? Bad day for us international callers.
I've used (and use) Big Zoo for years; always cheap, always worked, always simple. Boy do i wish i could say that about other technological applications. I thought it was somewhat odd when they started doing the internet access. Too bad they couldn't make it just on the long distance service. Really will miss em. They did deliver.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
Wow, had no idea about this until I read about it here. I've used them for years, and have been very happy. That's tough. Any suggestions for an alternative?
Old Nov 30, 2004, 5:11 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by MeLike2Travel
Wow, had no idea about this until I read about it here. I've used them for years, and have been very happy. That's tough. Any suggestions for an alternative?
Check out www.onesuite.com
Old Nov 30, 2004, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Annandaler
Looks a lot like Big Zoo, works like Big Zoo....with enhancements.

Last edited by dlflyer2; Nov 30, 2004 at 7:23 am
Old Dec 7, 2004, 2:02 pm

another bigzoo alternative

another bigzoo alternative is http://telphonic.com which has similar rates, doesn't require prepayment, or dialing a 10 digit access #, has no minimum fees.They also donate some $$ to charity, and if you are a bicycler, and agree to let them donate a share of the profits they make from you to the Rivendell - Shawn Jones Fund they'll send you a $50 rivendell bike works gift certificate.

BTW, be sure to register your credit card w\ bigzoo so they can refund your $$. It doesn't appear from their website that they will credit you automatically.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:38 pm

Pin City

I've used Big Zoo since 2001, but also Pin City www.pincity.com . Pin City has a bit lower rates than Big Zoo to most countries, but there were exceptions. I hope Pin City stays around--I have had zero problems with their service.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Post Pincity

Originally Posted by captainstubing
I've used Big Zoo since 2001, but also Pin City www.pincity.com . Pin City has a bit lower rates than Big Zoo to most countries, but there were exceptions. I hope Pin City stays around--I have had zero problems with their service.
I was about to recommend Pincity myself and you are ahead of me.

Never used Big Zoo before and have been loyal to Pincity for years. Pincity gives me very good rate to call TPE and reliable, especially they just upgraded their systems with more local access rates. You may check out their rates (http://www.pincity.com/rates.asp) and see if it's a good replacement for your.

I actually learned about Big Zoo from Pincity's recent referral bonus email. I am not sure how much you would lose from your BigZoo account, but it seems Pincity is sort of partner or taking over BigZoo. It stated that

If your referral is currently using BigZoo services, he/she will receive 50% of his/her current BigZoo account balance...

PM me if you want to sign up with Pincity so I may refer you. I've also got 20% sign-up discount promo code for you and I get referral bonus. ^
Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Just looked at PinCity for the first time, after using BigZoo for the past 2+ years. (sniff... sniff...) They have a link for BigZoo customers, which includes the 50% "balance transfer" option that lin821 referred to:

http://www.pincity.com/services_welcomeB.asp

I may try this out once I burn through the calling card which I bought as a BigZoo replacement. 3 cents/min domestic, and to some of the international places I call, with no extra fees, taxes, etc. FWIW, I got it at http://www.uniontelecard.com/ and it has the moronic name "SuperClean." "BigZoo" was a pretty dumb name, too, but hey, cheap calls.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by cakobau
Just looked at PinCity for the first time, after using BigZoo for the past 2+ years. (sniff... sniff...) They have a link for BigZoo customers, which includes the 50% "balance transfer" option that lin821 referred to:

http://www.pincity.com/services_welcomeB.asp

I may try this out....
Thanks cakobau for the link. ^ I tried to find the Pincity BigZoo link days ago when I first posted this "balance transfer" offer but couldn't locate it.

Just another friendly reminder. If you decide to sign up with Pincity (with BigZoo transfer or not), let me refer you. I do have some new account promo codes (20%off). PM me with the email account you would like to use for Pincity phonecard so I can forward you the info. Each of us will get another 40 free minutes for domestic calls!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.