NY Times Article

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Arrow NY Times Article

Fired Flight Attendant Finds Blogs Can Backfire

By CHRISTINE NEGRONI

Published: November 16, 2004

Until two weeks ago, Ellen Simonetti worked as a flight attendant for Delta Air Lines, doing her best to project the image of a stewardess from a bygone era. "In the past people expected flight attendants to be young and attractive," Ms. Simonetti, a 29-year old blonde, said from her home in Austin, Tex. "Maybe I represent the flight attendants of the past."

But it is Ms. Simonetti's very 21st-century activities that she says prompted Delta management to ground her, suspending her from flying in September and then firing her a month later.

Ms. Simonetti has operated a Web log since January, calling it Diary of a Flight Attendant, and she says she did not hear from Delta about the site, http://queenofsky.journalspace.com, until after she posted a set of provocative photos of herself in her Delta uniform. In one photograph, her skirt is hiked to mid-thigh as she perches along a seatback on an empty airliner. In another, she is leaning over the seats, her blouse unbuttoned, exposing part of her bra. Ms. Simonetti said she posted those photographs because she thought they made her look pretty.

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/16/bu...ner=ALTAVISTA1

Last edited by QueenofSky; Nov 23, 2004 at 5:59 pm Reason: changed link so that everybody can access it (without logging in)
Old Nov 17, 2004, 12:00 am

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred
This thread is probably destined to be locked away, but nonetheless....

Good luck to you and your quest. Maybe you should take your chronicles and write a book, if you haven't already given away all the good stories away on your blog.

You seem to have the credentials to get a job with H1. I must apologize if I don't boycott DL on your behalf, but I think it is crappy for them to terminate your employment for the blog.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 3:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
QofS: $10 million???!!!

That is a lot of money considering that you didn't even destroy the airline.

Of course, Leo Mullen got more but at least he succeeded in that goal.

Last edited by Dovster; Nov 17, 2004 at 8:04 am
Old Nov 17, 2004, 6:12 am

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
I read that NYT article on Monday, didn't get a chance to post it.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 6:54 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Good luck!

I hope you're planning on throwing an FT party if you get the $10 million.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:58 am

Playboy - The women of Delta...
Old Nov 17, 2004, 8:38 am

Programs: Former 16 year Gold Medallion
International Sensation

Looks like QOS is now an international celebrity. Just posted on spiegel.de:

Delta Airlines feuert "Königin des Himmels"

Von Michael Kröger

Wegen angeblich unangemessen aufreizender Fotos auf ihrer privaten Webseite hat die US-Fluggesellschaft Delta Airlines eine Stewardess entlassen. Die jedoch will sich das nicht bieten lassen. Sie verklagte Delta auf zehn Millionen Dollar Schadenersatz.

full article at
http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,328220,00.html
Old Nov 17, 2004, 9:03 am

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by QueenofSky
[B]

On Oct. 20, this question was posted anonymously on the blog by a self-proclaimed frequent flier: "Why are all of my flight attendants so unattractive when you are so very good looking?"

Ms. Simonetti's replied: "Because Anonymous Airlines fires or indefinitely suspends all of its good-looking flight attendants. They prefer them fat and ugly.''
If nothing else, this IMHO is grossly offensive to all DL FA's.

I hope they file a class action suit against Q.o.S. for, say, 10 million dollars?!!
Old Nov 17, 2004, 9:30 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by QueenofSky
...Gary Bledsoe, her lawyer in Austin...

I thought I was done here for awhile, but I got drawn back in...

Curious choice of lawyer. This guy is the President of the NAACP in Texas. I wonder why he is allowing her to continue posting here at FT. Fascinating stuff.

Just a quick question on logistics: If this thread gets really exciting, and then Ellen declares that she is packing up and returning to the VS forum, does this thread get closed?

PS - $10M? Sure, Ellen, that sounds reasonable. If you are really looking for fast cash, might I suggest entering Howard Stern's "Butterface" competition?
Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:31 am

Programs: AA,DL,UA,US
Originally Posted by andymo99
PS - $10M? Sure, Ellen, that sounds reasonable. If you are really looking for fast cash, might I suggest entering Howard Stern's "Butterface" competition?

Now that is funny , but uncalled for
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Angry

Q of S, I am on your side. Good luck
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mikey1003
Q of S, I am on your side. Good luck
Well, of course, goes without saying. We all know that if there's any issue that Delta is on one side of, Mikey is on the other.
It's hard being right most of the time when your criterion is always to be oppositional by 180 degrees, but with Delta the way it's been operating, he's right more than he's wrong.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 12:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Q of S, IMO you're 14+ minutes into your 15 minutes of fame on this issue.
Not sure this whole thing has a lot more legs so here's hoping you've got something lined up for a source of income.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 1:42 pm

$10 million?

On the one hand, I feel sorry for her termination.

On the other hand, why does she deserve $10 million?

Why doesn't she simply start a boycott Delta campaign?

Answer: either she is greedy beyond belief or some attorney (who gets 1/3) has talked her into it.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 2:00 pm

I'm with Cholula on this one. Wasn't this in FTs October issue of "15 min of infamy"? In the spirit of limited attention span, shouldn't we be moving on to something more recent and edgy (like dual issues of PB with Women of KMart vs Women of Sears)?

However, since I am using up bandwidth anyway, I might as well put 2 more cents (or non-cents) in.

On the planet I come from, when professionals put on the uniform of their employer, there is an implicit message that they are representing that employer. That being said, in my opinion the QoS blog images did not represent Delta in the manner in which they would approve.

Presenting images of oneself publically is one thing, but once you knowingly present that uniform in that setting, you're toast.

QoS, go for the quick settlement (if available, which I cannot imagine), cause this story is old news.

Good luck with your resume.

Regards,
MB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.