Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New bonus opportunities for 125K EQM in 2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT

Please excuse me if this has been previously posted, but the 1K site has the following "offer" available if you reach 125K EQM's this year.

"In recognition of your outstanding loyalty to United, you now have an exclusive opportunity.

Earn 125,000 Elite Qualifying Miles or 125 Elite Qualifying Segments in 2004, and you'll earn two special bonuses.

First, you'll be able to give Premier® status to any Mileage Plus member you select. Plus, you'll be able to choose one of the following gifts for yourself:

• Double redeemable flight miles for flights taken
in April 2005
OR
• Two Confirmed Regional Upgrades"

Even though I can't be sure, this certainly seems to suggest that the 'sloppy seconds' carryover from last year WON'T be repeated in 2004......and the Double EQM promo will have "limited" appeal for some of us as a result.

Best wishes, Dave
Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:39 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Dave, you beat me to FT by two minutes in reporting this new promo.

This is a promo that is combinable with other offers and the promotional material points out that the 125K EQMs/125 EQSs are now even easier to reach because of the $150 double segments/miles promo. This is a good one as we'll save $150 on getting my wife's 2P status. I can just give her the status by making 125 EQSs the old fashioned way.

One additional term about this promo: "Offer valid only to current 2004 1K members." Don't know what "current 2004" means if it is combinable with the double EQS/EQM and other offers. But will leave that to the lawyers.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 15, 2004 at 2:42 pm
Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Thumbs down

I was just checking to see if it had been posted whilst I have been travelling.

Anyway, the link doesn't work for me"!
Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
[
Sounds like the same promo from last year, but without the carry over of 25K EQM. The SWU's is on top of the gifting of UA 2P status, I like that! ^

Is this targeted? I have not received this particular email from UA.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:44 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Not targeted as it's on the 1K only web site for every 1K to use. Seems to require no registration fee or registration action, although the double miles/segments promo does require registration + $$$$.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:47 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Link to register takes you to the wrong promo, the $150 double EQM/EQS.

Oh, I see. T&C says nothing about having to register. You find out in Jan 05 if you've qualified and to make your choice.

Last edited by Chapel Hill Guy; Oct 15, 2004 at 2:49 pm
Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Motion122
The SWU's is on top of the gifting of UA 2P status, I like that!
The OP specified regional upgrades, not SWUs.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:57 pm

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by bseller
Plus, you'll be able to choose one of the following gifts for yourself:

in April 2005
OR
Was just pondering what would occur should United do another "triple BONUS miles" promo early next year, and someone flies in April under this plan.

OCTUPLE MILES!

Old Oct 15, 2004, 3:03 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by UnitedBozo
Was just pondering what would occur should United do another "triple BONUS miles" promo early next year, and someone flies in April under this plan.

OCTUPLE MILES!

Time to start planning my Spring MR.

Any guesses as to why April? I would think traffic starts to pick up then anyway after the winter months (at least winter in my hemisphere).
Old Oct 15, 2004, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Any guesses as to why April? I would think traffic starts to pick up then anyway after the winter months (at least winter in my hemisphere).
I imagine leisure travel is decent during the Winter Months (HI is always nice and Oceania and South America are in Summer). By April, the kids are in school and work is at hand.

Also, the way UA is burning through money, April might be one of the more serious "crunch" dates for revenue, and they're trying to be proactive by both getting money now (fly 125K EQMs) and for Q2 (fly heavy in April).
Old Oct 15, 2004, 4:02 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by UnitedBozo
IIRC, the early bird offer ran thru March (not April).
Old Oct 15, 2004, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K Million Miler, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by bseller
Please excuse me if this has been previously posted, but the 1K site has the following "offer" available if you reach 125K EQM's this year.

"In recognition of your outstanding loyalty to United, you now have an exclusive opportunity.

Earn 125,000 Elite Qualifying Miles or 125 Elite Qualifying Segments in 2004, and you'll earn two special bonuses.

First, you'll be able to give Premier® status to any Mileage Plus member you select. Plus, you'll be able to choose one of the following gifts for yourself:

in April 2005
OR

Even though I can't be sure, this certainly seems to suggest that the 'sloppy seconds' carryover from last year WON'T be repeated in 2004......and the Double EQM promo will have "limited" appeal for some of us as a result.

Best wishes, Dave
I will pass 125K this year without the the eqm promo and so the double eqm promo has no appeal to me unless there was some kind of additional carrot - i.e. additional SWUs for the additional eqms.

The additional regional upgrades will be welcomed. However, gifting premier status (in essence giving 25K eqm) doesn't mean anything to me so has no value. I understand why UA likes it as it may solidify more 'casual' mp members and encourage them to try to maintain at least 2p status next year.

As a further thought, it may be that this promo does indeed fortell another 'sloppy seconds'. I suspect there are many 1ks for whom gifting 2p status has no particular value, however being able to do something else with an additional 25k eqm would.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This promo/offer is of very little value to me - and many other international 1Ks I would imagine. I am already sitting on 10 of those Region 1s and some 60+ 500-milers. Flying mostly UA overseas, I'd expect UA to at least offer the option to turn this entire thing into a couple of SWUs.

Last edited by cesco.g; Oct 15, 2004 at 4:08 pm
Old Oct 15, 2004, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Can you guys confirm that those of us who already have 125K EQMs as of today do NOT need to sign up for the double EQM promos in order to get the goodies from this deal (ie, CR1s and comp 2P status for a friend)?

Am I the only guy here excited about being able to gift Premier Status?

Last edited by Babu; Oct 15, 2004 at 4:30 pm
Old Oct 15, 2004, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
This promo/offer is of very little value to me - and many other international 1Ks I would imagine. I am already sitting on 10 of those Region 1s and some 60+ 500-milers. Flying mostly UA overseas, I'd expect UA to at least offer the option to turn this entire thing into a couple of SWUs.
When you run out of SWUs, do you fly in back on Q- fares or do you buy H+ and use miles?

If the former, well SWUs would be nice for you since you could sit up front a bit more on the same fares you are already giving UA.

If the latter, by giving you SWUs UA encourages you to buy cheaper fares, depriving them of revenue they are already getting from you.

It's too bad 500s are not transferrable, for pure-domestic 1Ks would probably be happy to trade 10-20 of em for a SWU (not sure what CR1 to SWU trade ratios are but I imagine it's 4:1 or so). You do get the miles, which helps when it comes time to mileage upgrade awards, however, so that is some consolation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.