Community
Wiki Posts
Search

any Gotch -Yas on new Double mile promo ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
any Gotch -Yas on new Double mile promo ?

got an email from United on a double mile promo.

Dear MR X

Want to earn miles FAST? Now you can earn double miles when you take a trip across the country or
across the globe, or when you use any of our partners for everyday activities.

Watch your miles go sky high.
Complete a paid, qualifying roundtrip on United, United Express® or Ted(SM) to anywhere in the world
between October 15 and December 15, 2004. We'll double the miles you earn for that flight.

I wonder if there are any "got yas" that will make it worthless like some promos !
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:18 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Question T&Cs?

Hey rally, this appears to be a new promotion.

Would you case to edit your post to include all the T&Cs so then maybe we can dissect it for "gotchas"?
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:19 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Well, the 'got me'...

A few weeks ago, I flew LAS-LAX on Ted, r/t on a personal ticket. I paid a $60 premium to get up to the appropriate fare class to qualify for the promo (about 1.5 times more than the cheapest fare)...In my case I had to fly one roundtrip, and all subsequent r/t's earned double miles. Because I have a Trans-Pacific trip I'm taking next week, yet hadn't booked at the time...

On my international tix, I normally buy 'H' class and use miles to upgrade, which qualifies for the promotion...Well, I was gifted 2 SWUs by my dad, which allowed me to buy a 'V' fare. After I booked it, I found out that 'V' didn't qualify for the earning of double miles...I called to see about upgrading my ticketed class to a qualifying fare, and it was $700 more, which with miles flown on this ticket would bring the cost per mile to over $0.04. Certainly not worth it, and even though it's a company-paid ticket, I'm not screwing my employer out of $700 for me to get 18,000 miles.

So, after I found this out, I went back to see what the fare was on my LAS-LAX...And by then the low fare classes had sold out...So I was stuck.

Not blaming United or anything, but I personally am out the $ and I guess I do blame myself for not fully checking things out before buying any/all the tix. I do look at it as one heck of a net gain (because of my pappy)...I saved 60,000 miles by his generous SWU gifting to me.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
here is the conditions.....sorry cannot figure out weblink

FLIGHT OFFER TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
To qualify for this double miles flight offer, members must purchase and complete one roundtrip flight to any United destination
worldwide between October 15 and December 15, 2004. For this offer, roundtrip travel is defined as two each-way trips that depart
from and return to the same co-terminal booked in a single reservation under one ticket number. Offer valid for recipients of this
mailing who reside in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands only. Not combinable with other offers. Bonus may be
earned a maximum of one time. Passenger must be a member of United's Mileage Plus frequent flyer program for travel to qualify
for this offer. Offer valid on paid, published fares. Not valid on government fares. E-Ticket(SM) purchase is required. Valid on United,
United Express and Ted, and not applicable on United-marketed code-share flights. Bonus is in addition to paid flight miles and any
applicable elite and class-of-service bonuses. Flights must be credited to the Mileage Plus account in order to qualify. Offer subject
to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

Offers valid for recipients of this e-mail only. Miles accrued, awards issued and bonus offers are subject to the rules of the United
Mileage Plus program. Please allow 6–8 weeks after completed qualifying activity for bonus miles to be posted to your Mileage Plus
account. The Mileage Plus Program, including accruals, awards and bonus miles offers, is subject to change without notice. Taxes and
fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the passenger. United and Mileage Plus are registered service marks. For
complete details about the Mileage Plus program, visit united.com/mileageplus. (MPG X44)
Old Oct 15, 2004, 11:46 am

The main "gotcha" that I see is that it's a one-time shot, so the registration timing will be tricky if you're going to have more than one R/T (say SFO-LAS and SFO-BKK).

The next "gotcha" has to do with the non-combinability, so if you're registered for other promotions already, you may not see the double miles (as the earlier-registered-for promotion would take precedence).

Other than that, the definition of round-trip is generous enough to allow for co-terminals, it seems to allow all booking classes, and, of course, it is targeted.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I wonder if UA bothers to cross-reference their MP records with who they send these promotions to, since almost all of them are not combinable.

I'm doing the double-EQM run to LHR next month and being booked in H (even though on SWUs) I also get the 5,000 EQM bonus (part of the 5/10/15K bonus offer I am registered for). I'd hate to be targeted for this one and then lose out on the RDMs because the 5K EQM bonus offer took precedence. I'll make 1P on the LHR trip, so the 5K EQMs are superfluous and I'd rather have the double RDMs for the LHR trip.

I guess one could write to UA MP and see what one is signed up for, then have them delete the offers till only the combinable and best non-combinable offer are left.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 4:01 pm

What's the confusion?

Are you referring to the free offer or the pay $150 to register offer? For the paid offer:

On this page:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0.../10/14&time=11

It states:

Qualifying travel must be posted to Mileage Plus account to qualify for the offer on/before December 31, 2004. Offer is combinable with other combinable offers. Mileage Plus number must be provided prior to flight departure for trip to qualify.

You must have received the targeted offer (wish I had!)

Last edited by juanvaldez; Oct 15, 2004 at 4:03 pm
Old Oct 15, 2004, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Well if rally is talking about the double EQM offer, I know I am safe with that one. I don't believe the double EQM offer is targeted (the T&C don't say it is and usually UA makes that distinction), but I did receive it, anyway, so I'm doubly safe.

This sounds more like a double RDM miles offer (like some people received back in late summer while others, like myself, received the 5/10/15K EQM offer). That offer I believe expires on 11/15 or so (which is when the 5/10/15K EQM offer expires) while this one - if it is RDMs and not EQMs - mirrors the double EQM offer.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 4:49 pm
wfb

Programs: US, UA, Hilton Gold, ex-1K
Originally Posted by rally
here is the conditions.....sorry cannot figure out weblink
rally,

Does it require registration?
Old Oct 15, 2004, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

there is NO registration link on the email they sent me.....

rally
Old Oct 15, 2004, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Question What's the code for this offer?

To avoid confusion between offers, it's always helpful to include the unique code for the offer under discussion. For example, the current, much-discussed double-EQM offer (which requires a $150 registration fee) is code MPW124.

This code is always shown near the bottom of the e-mail or web page where the T&Cs are described.

So, what's the code for THIS offer? Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
So, what's the code for THIS offer? Thanks.
MPG X44, as noted on post #4. I will add this to the promotions thread when I get home tonight.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Well if rally is talking about the double EQM offer, I know I am safe with that one. I don't believe the double EQM offer is targeted
It's on the front page of their website for anybody to sign up for, all they care about is the dollars.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 9:15 pm
wfb

Programs: US, UA, Hilton Gold, ex-1K
Originally Posted by cordelli
It's on the front page of their website for anybody to sign up for, all they care about is the dollars.
The offer rally received is not the Double EQM promo. It's apparently for double redeemable miles & targeted. Wish I'd got it.

Last edited by wfb; Oct 15, 2004 at 9:32 pm
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

sorry for the confusion , I am sure I am not the only one that got this promo !
its not listed here http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1252,00.html on UALs website.

Some of UAL promos are weird , like no Saturday night stays , I guess that was aimed at the business traveler but cuts many of us out.

This one seems pretty straight forward , I have a long distance trip planned and an extra 10,000 miles would be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.