Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Who We Are In The Travel Safety/Security Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who We Are In The Travel Safety/Security Forum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2004, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Dovster
Hey! This is serious!
Dovster, too bad that she is a UA flyer, you could introduce her to Dovster Medallion otherwise.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
So far in this thread:

1. Cholula Hot Sauce was spammed.
2. I made a lewd proposition.
3. I received several insults.

Am I in TravelSafety/Security or back home in the Delta Forum?
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:03 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

This is not the Delta forum?!?

Where am I then?

Better yet, who am I?!?...
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Back on Topic - even though I was one of the OT posts

I am a Software Engineer for a wolrdwide software company. Our software is used by over a dozen airlines, including 6 here in the US, the FAA, and an airline reporting agency. I regularly visit one of the airlines IT department. Unfortunately, our software has nothing to do with FF accounts or seating, so I get no advantages. But at least I do have a little insight on how airlines work.

I travel almost every week, for the past 3 years. Most of my travel is in the Southeast, so I am very limited on my choice of airlines.
Have a Mrs. pbiflyer and a 9 mo flyerette. Mrs. pbiflyer works for a former CEO of a private aviation firm as a personal assistant. The flyerett has already been on one 4 segment round trip flight, upgraded on 3 of the segments. Not a peep out of her the whole time.

Have had great, mediocre, and bad experiences with TSA.
I would like to share one of how I think it should work. I was returning to PBI from ATL shortly after Hurricane Frances, with Hurricane Jeanne approaching. Had 2 small socket parts in my carry on luggage. These two parts were essential for putting up and taking down hurricane shutters. These parts were nowhere to be found in Florida.
I went through screening and they asked ot check my bag further. They took out the tool parts and said that they could not be brought as carry on and would have to be checked. I objected, stating that they were merely parts and nowhere did it list them as banned. I was thinking this was another arbitrary, on the fly ruling. I was desperate to have these parts and my flight, the last one of the day, was 45 minutes before departure.
A supervisor immediately came over. I pointed out that these were not on the banned list. He explained that the airlines have requested no tools be brought on baord, that they could be used to dismantle panels, etc. He then went on to clearly explain the process of getting my bag checked and returning through security while avoiding lines at both places. While I am not sure I agree with the rule, the reason behind it and process of how to proceed and still catch my flight was clearly and calmly explained. I checked the luggage, skipped to the head of the line and was on my flight with time to spare.
If all encounters with TSA were like that, I think we might be a little less voal on this board.

Last edited by pbiflyer; Oct 15, 2004 at 10:22 am
Old Oct 15, 2004, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
No tools!?

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
I went through screening and they asked ot check my bag further. They took out the tool parts and said that they could not be brought as carry on and would have to be checked. I objected, stating that they were merely parts and nowhere did it list them as banned. I was thinking this was another arbitrary, on the fly ruling. I was desperate to have these parts and my flight, the last one of the day, was 45 minutes before departure.
A supervisor immediately came over. I pointed out that these were not on the banned list. He explained that the airlines have requested no tools be brought on board,
I always fly with at least emacs and grep.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 5:36 pm

I'm a graduate student in theoretical electrical engineering (more like applied math) and I'm planning to finish my Ph.D. this year. I have a home in two places: one where I go to school, and one where I live with my husband, so I spend lots of time shuttling between those two places. I used to fly, but now I take Amtrak.

If you met me in person you'd probably call me bubbly and enthusiastic. I'm even prone to talking with my hands and telling roll-your-eyes bad math jokes. Here's my favorite one this week:

A physicist, a biologist, and an mathematician are watching a house. Two people go into the house, and a little while later three people leave the house. The physicist says, "Our initial conditions were wrong." The biologist says, "They must have reproduced." And the mathematician says, "If one more person goes inside the house then it'll be empty."

I like wearing dresses and I like to dance. I teach aerobics classes. I get the Economist. I grew up in Southern California, and I miss it now that I live on the east coast. I like to eat healthy, (more South Beach diet than Atkins) which is a big challenge while you're travelling. And I'm an eternal optimist and that makes me an activist. I'm a Myers-Briggs ENFP.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
College dropout, machine shop owner, philosopher, automobile racer, hopeless romantic, cultural explorer, lover of flight. Erstwhile philisophical anarchist. Often spout lines from original Star Trek series Drinker of fine wine and vodka.

Also, fixer of dinners for my equally adventureous wife. Gotta go!

Pat
Old Oct 15, 2004, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just turned 50 years old. I had a 22-year career as an Air Force Officer and retired in 1998. My family consists of my wife of 23 years (our anniversary is this Sunday!) and a stray cat that adopted us about 3.5 years ago. (We couldn't have picked out a better pet if we had gone to the animal shelter ourselves.) Since then, I've worked as a hobby: two jobs in the private sector and two jobs in the DoD as a civilian, where I am right now. I'm almost a vegetarian and I run marathons -- definitely a character flaw.

I've spent the last 14 years in the Washington DC area and get a lot of professional satisfaction, as Richard Nixon once titled a book, being "in the arena." I'm much too humble to name-drop, but suffice it to say I've been truly blessed by being able to participate in some really incredible things at high levels of government.

My military career really instilled a sense of intense pride in our form of government (not necessarily those elected or appointed to run it) and our precious liberties. Ours is the only government on this planet in which the people give rights to the government rather than the other way around. I cherish our civil liberties. That's worth fighting to the death to preserve. My political views generally are like those of Ronald Reagan or Barry Goldwater -- strong military, small & non-intrusive central government, and empowerment of individual citizens.

I guess that's why I detest the TSA and DHS, because they were such poor and mediocre responses to an attack on our country. I loathe injustice -- there is a lot of it going around lately. I loathe apathy -- which has led to blind obedience to government authorities. I detest lack of vision and out-of-the box thinking, which is in very short supply in Washington these days.

Oh yeah -- I used to love to fly for business and pleasure. I detest flying these days and avoid it when possible. Too bad -- my wife and I really love Australia.

Right now, I'm reading Waging Modern Warfare, by General (Retired) Wesley Clark. I never met him personally, but his book is VERY thought-provoking. Makes me wish he had been more serious about running for president this year.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:09 pm

I am

a retired army senior NCO and the son of a Marine. My wife has put up with me for 22 years and gave me 4 healthy sons with the oldest currently stationed at FT Bragg. I have been with the TSA since Mar 02 and I have started a small business. The TSA sucks more everyday.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by tsadude
The TSA sucks more everyday.
Are you trying to say that you and your co-workers work in a vacuum?

Are you trying to say that the allowance of free lollipops increases every day for each Transportation Security Administration employee?

Are you trying to say that the corporate offices of the Transportation Security Administration is slowly and eventually moving to Sioux City, Iowa?

Let’s see if anyone can guess the meaning and its significance behind the statement concerning Sioux City...
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie

Let’s see if anyone can guess the meaning and its significance behind the statement concerning Sioux City...
I'm still trying to guess the meaning and significance of Marietta, Georgia!
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
I'm still trying to guess the meaning and significance of Marietta, Georgia!
I reside there.

What more meaning and significance could you possibly want?!?
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:51 pm

I reside there.

What more meaning and significance could you possibly want?!?
I dunno. Maybe something like "The Peach Tree, Grits, and Industrial Waste Water Treatment Capital of the South."
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Just a WAG but perhaps the uninitiated would pronounce this as Sux City rather than the correct Sue City??
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Cholula
Just a WAG but perhaps the uninitiated would pronounce this as Sux City rather than the correct Sue City??
You are so close to the actual answer, Cholula.

Under the Quick Links heading above, choose the Airport Code Lookup option and find out what is the airport code of Sioux City, Iowa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.