Wiki Posts
Search

Around The World Value

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2004, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, and MM, Marriott Platinum
Around The World Value

Just curious, If I would have a round the world ticket via the DC Around The World promotion. What would it be worth in the coupon connection? I would post it there but this is hypothetical and am not really offering anything at this time/

Around the world on *A in coach is 200K miles would it be out of line to ask for a 1st class ticket to GIG on UA which would be 100K miles in the saver awards. Does that seem equitable? Or would I be giving up too much for that?
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Bump, I'm surprised no one has an opinion on this?
Old Sep 27, 2004, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I imagine most FlyerTalk UA frequent flyers would never do an RTW in Economy class.

As to what it is worth, it depends on what Star is charging for an RTW ticket. They book in B class so they probably are not cheap, but neither are they hideous and if they are upgradeable (no clue), B fares only require half-miles.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Star1 ex-USA is $3,700 USD. Not sure what this promo RTW is worth? Probably less. Not even sure the promo RTW is transferrable?
Old Sep 27, 2004, 5:40 pm

Aren't the DC Promo RTW tickets booked into the award ticket categories? So in theory with the new restrictions...one can't book a RTW more than 90 days in advance if it has either a LH or ANA flight in it
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

I know they are transferable. I have enough credits for a RTW ticket and 4 away from an international business ticket which is what I'll probably get.

I have no desire to go RTW in any class just wondered what it is worth in the coupon connection world.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:30 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by transpac
Star1 ex-USA is $3,700 USD. Not sure what this promo RTW is worth? Probably less. Not even sure the promo RTW is transferrable?
It is valued less in the sense that it will not earn mileage and the availability is limited on XY/XC inventory. However, it allows unlimited mileage, unlike the *A RTW ticket
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:53 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by vtqanh
However, it allows unlimited mileage, unlike the *A RTW ticket
Do you know this for a fact? How about stopovers?
Old Sep 28, 2004, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by WindFlyer
Do you know this for a fact? How about stopovers?
Per another thread, the rules for the 'Go Around the World' ticket are:

* moving in a continual east-west or west-east direction
* transit any given city only once
* cross Atlantic and Pacific oceans
* maximum of 15 stopovers
* no Star Alliance carriers unless UA doesn't fly a given route
* inventory comes out of XC
* no changes once itn starts (I've always been able to make changes, albeit on a standby basis)
* no mileage maximum
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:19 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Exclamation questions concerning the RTW ticket from the ATW promo

I just spent a frustrating hour on the phone with both Mileage Plus and Int'l Reservations. Neither could adequately answer my questions regarding the ATW ticket obtainable through the Around the World Promotion (MPDA44).

It seems clear from this thread, from the other thread alluded to by TakeMeToEZE, and from my conversation tonight with Mileage Plus and with Int'l Reservations that there is no mileage cap with this ATW ticket (unlike the Star paid tickets which come in 29k, 34k, and 39k versions)

Some issues remain unclear, however. Before I begin, here's what the fare rules state:

Travel must commence from and return to the same country and must be in a continuous global direction either Eastbound or Westbound. The direction of travel cannot be reversed once travel has commenced. Backtracking is not permitted and no city is to be transited more than once. Northbound and Southbound variations are not allowed. Travel must include only one Trans-Atlantic crossing and only one Trans-Pacific crossing. Travel may not be completed at a point beyond the point at which travel commenced.

I don't understand what the clause "Northbound and Southbound variations are not allowed." means. Should I interpret this to mean that I cannot fly ORD-EZE-MVD-GRU-FRA? Given that I would be doing a RTW routing towards the east, travel to the above cities would never have me flying towards the west, so I am safe from the backtracking restriction. Is this, however, an illegal 'northbound / southbound variation?'

Also, I am unclear about the clause: "Backtracking is not permitted and no city is to be transited more than once." Consider the following routing: GRU-FRA-WAW-BKK. According to my understanding, there is no way to travel on Star from WAW-BKK without backtracking to FRA, MUC, VIE, CPH, or perhaps some other city west of WAW. Does this mean that I cannot travel to WAW on my ATW ticket? Or can I return to a hub city such as FRA for purposes of catching a connecting flight?

Finally, I would appreciate general information on availability (or lack thereof) of XY seats on Star carriers, as my Economy ATW ticket (ick , I know) would have to be booked in XY. Since I am looking to fly in June - August, when is the latest that I may reasonably expect to find availability?

I would be very indebted if someone would share their experiences of booking and traveling on a reward ATW ticket, especially a ticket obtained through the current Around the World Promotion.

Last edited by ua_to_ord; Dec 2, 2004 at 10:21 pm Reason: edited to add '!' icon
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ua_to_ord
Also, I am unclear about the clause: "Backtracking is not permitted and no city is to be transited more than once." Consider the following routing: GRU-FRA-WAW-BKK. According to my understanding, there is no way to travel on Star from WAW-BKK without backtracking to FRA, MUC, VIE, CPH, or perhaps some other city west of WAW. Does this mean that I cannot travel to WAW on my ATW ticket? Or can I return to a hub city such as FRA for purposes of catching a connecting flight?
I do not know the general answer to your question, but in the specific case you mention you can also transit in ATH or IST which are both east of WAW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.