Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone here flown more than 14 million actual miles recently? :-))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone here flown more than 14 million actual miles recently? :-))

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Smile Anyone here flown more than 14 million actual miles recently? :-))

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...recordid=43932

Most Air Miles Flown By A Passenger

The record for the most air miles flown by an individual is held by Britain's Frederick Finn, who by June 2003 had flown a total distance of 22,370,000 km (13,900,000 miles). Mr Finn commutes regularly between London and New Jersey, USA, and holds the record for most number of flights as a supersonic passenger, having made 718 Atlantic crossings on Concorde

Apologies if this has been posted here before ... have not seen it if it was.

718 Concorde flights is pretty darn impressive. ^ ^ ^

There have been a few threads here before on who flies the MOST each year. Flyertalker B Watson IIRC took that title out with about 750,000 paid flown miles a year. And AFAIK the No #1 Qantas flyer reportedly did over a million paid flown actual miles, despite absolute disbelief from a few folks on one thread.

But 14 million is quite something. The entry broadly infers it is over 2000-2003 which simply cannot be right, but 14m is impressive all the same, no matter how long it took him.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
My interpretation is Mr Finn passed the old record of 12 million miles in 2000. That makes some 2 million miles in the last 3 years - still a huge amount of flying.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I bet someone has (unwittingly?) broken the circumnavigation record of 44 hours and 6 minutes. All it would take is consecutive SIN-EWR and EWR-SIN where the EWR-SIN flight path is "eastward".

I think that rules out the FTers who did the inaugural flights both ways as that flight was directly over the pole. But maybe some FTer(s) here has done it?

Oz - I see the current record holder is also into stamps (or have you changed your name?)!
Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

Oz - I see the current record holder is also into stamps (or have you changed your name?)!
I didn't see that - is it on the Guinness Records page?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:14 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Just a couple of clicks away from the page you linked above there is Fastest Circumnavigation On Scheduled Flights
Old Sep 16, 2004, 3:34 am

Programs: SQ, HHonors, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I bet someone has (unwittingly?) broken the circumnavigation record of 44 hours and 6 minutes. All it would take is consecutive SIN-EWR and EWR-SIN where the EWR-SIN flight path is "eastward".
Now that sounds like a MR with a World Record to boot It could be a FT event! ^
I suppose all you need is someone from Guinness to verify it....which doesn't sound too hard. BP + Ticket + Flight path info.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 4:24 am

Programs: QF Gold
How much would it cost to fly 3 million miles in a year?

Also would you do it if your airfares were paid for?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 8:43 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

Nice post ... and information. Thanks Oz.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 9:38 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
I can’t stop wondering what Mr. Finn does in New Jersey? Personally I would have considered moving to New Jersey rather than commuting
718 Concorde flights, now that is really impressive!
Old Sep 16, 2004, 9:38 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Mileage

I used to do somewhere over 500,000 a year as I did London-Sydney or back every weekend (grey days on the calendar). There was a rash of flying around Europe one week and Eastern Australia the next (white days on the calendar). Therefore, the septal counting system was split into short haul days (when it would be possible to contact one's secretary) and long haul days (when it was not, both because she was not in the office and because of the lack of satellite phones).

However, on just about my last trip in that phase of my life, I was at a conference in Perth (Australia not Scotland) and sitting next to me was the Chairman who did even more mileage than I did in a year. He flew Space Shuttles about once a year. Apparently NASA frequent flyer miles were even harder to get redemption tickets with than QF in J on the Kangaroo route between LHR and SYD.

Aircrew are not allowed to fly that much, but it is certain that Mr Finn would be required (by his employer) to wear a radiation monitoring badge to stay legal. Now, far be it from me to suggest that he doesn't but ...
Old Sep 16, 2004, 7:30 pm

Hmm,

Mabey i should contact some tv stations.

Reality show,
356 days of travel, No more than 12 hours in any country (or state).
Follow one man, as he attempts be set world records for distance and flights adn countries traveled too in 1 year.

:-P

If i could get sponsership i would take a year break from my studies
Have a record or two to my name
Old Sep 16, 2004, 7:57 pm

Sign me up for that reality show too, but I want an occasional 24 hour pit stop to stretch my legs and shower. I still have about 150 countries to visit, this would be a way to do it.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by davem4
Hmm,

Mabey i should contact some tv stations.

Reality show,
356 days of travel, No more than 12 hours in any country (or state).
Follow one man, as he attempts be set world records for distance and flights adn countries traveled too in 1 year.

:-P

If i could get sponsership i would take a year break from my studies
Have a record or two to my name
Originally Posted by Guinness
"How do I apply to set or break a record?"

The first thing you need to do is to tell us what record you're interested in breaking. Do this by filling in the form found in the Make a Record Attempt section of the website.

If you tell us that you want to break an existing record we'll send you the current record details and the relevant rules and guidelines for you to follow when you attempt to break that record.

If you wish to try something that hasn’t been done before or have already attempted a potential record then we'll need to pass your suggestion on to our research department first. They'll decide if it's something that we're interested in establishing as a new record category. If we are, they'll draw up the necessary guidelines and send them to you. If not, we can always suggest other records that you may wish to attempt.
Giddy-up Dave...go for it.

Nice find, Glen! ^
Old Sep 16, 2004, 8:13 pm

Sweet.

Compeditive edge on the show.

Me vs MCRT,

Who can visit every country in the shortest amount of time using only scheduled flights.

We can have it sponsered by an alliance.

Like david can have star alliance,
and MCRT can have oneworld or skyteam.

:-)

Do we have any tv producers here?

I have further ideas and variations
I would love a project like this.

- David

More thoughts:

This wouldn't have to be too expensive.

- Make it economy only :-) (where is the evil grin)

I'm sure the alliances could organise for free flights on thir members aircraft. The advertising from such a show would be nice for the airlines and alliances, showcase products etc. And in most cases they would not be losing revenue because it could be made that the flights only bookable on location from the departing airport (so it would be just any seats that are left)

- Main cost would be a camera crew to travel with.

Last edited by davem4; Sep 16, 2004 at 8:19 pm
Old Sep 16, 2004, 8:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

You will have a tough time beating the current record. Sorry cant find links.

A couple of years ago a kiwi and an aussie visited 191 out of the 193 countries over a period of about 5 months. All using commercial transport (a few country visits were by train and taxi but almost all flown).

Got a number of world records as a result.

One of the guys (Bougen) wrote a book called "An Absolutely Amazing Journey" or some such. I have this book but not with me right now to get the details right.

Yes it was an insane trip. They did build in a few short breaks - some deliberate and others due to difficulty getting needed flights.

While their trip was a heck of a lot of miles I bet it is nowhere near the most miles flown in 5 months. Because they were trying to visit all countries there would have been a lot of short hops and only a few long hauls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.