Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Premium Express closes at SYD, BNE, MEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2004, 9:02 pm
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG

From the latest QFF e-news letter:

Originally Posted by QFF e-newsletter
From 30 June 2004, Australian Customs will no longer provide
Premium Express lanes for First, Business and Platinum
Frequent Flyers at Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne
international terminals. Standard procedures will apply for
all travellers departing from these terminals. Qantas is
currently exploring alternatives for these customers.
I guess that means at 10-30 mins less time in the QP next time departing international. It was always good to have the "Premium" sticker added to the BP to bypass the winding queues.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 9:55 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Why does it mean less time in the QP? Isn't it after the customs checkpoint? At least that is what I remember in SYD and MEL (never used BNE for an international flight). So it may require coming to the airport earler, but not less drinking time. As an aside, for my last 3 departures from Australia there was no line and no benefit from having Premium Express (2xMEL, 1xSYD). Maybe this is why customs has decided to end the service, it wasn't needed for at least part of the day and they didn't want to provide it for a few peak hours.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:16 pm
NM
Original Poster

Yes, the QP is after the immigration processing. So if I have to stand in a queue there I will be delayed in getting to the QP - unless I take your suggestion and now plan to arrive at the airport 10 mins earlier .

My last two departures from BNE saw me join the premium queue which was probably 2 or 3 people deep, while the standard queue was more like 30 people deep, but being handled by a larger team of agents. Last time I used the standard queue it took about 10 mins to snake my way through to the front.

In Brisbane, it really depends on how you time the arrival at the processing point. It varies from no wait to a considerable wait (maybe 15 mins at worst). And 10-15 mins is 3 beers and 2 scotches . Maybe it is a QF ploy to save money in QP supplies?
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NM
From the latest QFF e-news letter:

I guess that means at 10-30 mins less time in the QP next time departing international. It was always good to have the "Premium" sticker added to the BP to bypass the winding queues.
What a pain. The P stickers were really useful. Saved a bit of queuing when I used them

They also need to investigate their proof reading and find out who thought that there could be a plural to alternative

Dave
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"In Brisbane, it really depends on how you time the arrival at the processing point. It varies from no wait to a considerable wait (maybe 15 mins at worst). And 10-15 mins is 3 beers and 2 scotches"

Perhaps they could incorporate a QP annexe to the customs area and provide HPs to members whilst they wait in a queue. No lost drinking time then

Dave
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:28 pm
NM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Perhaps they could incorporate a QP annexe to the customs area and provide HPs to members whilst they wait in a queue. No lost drinking time then
I guess that would be one alternatives .
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:42 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Angry Not happy Jan (read Customs!!!)

As I commented in the "Qantas keeps it head down" thread:

That's going to be very unpopular with a lot of F, J & Plat pax (this one in particular ) - but what can we do about Customs?? I hope they (QF) don't drag their feet too long in organising a replacement.

I LINES - particularly with people who HAVE NO IDEA about what they need to have ready for presentation, haven't filled out the forms...

I like Dave Noble's suggestion ^ - we can wait out the lines and fly through when there's nobody around.

I am not a fan of increasing the time that I have to spend at the international airport (unlesss that translates to more time in the F lounge) - but thanks be to the QF Gods that I live in BNE where the lines are smaller than SYD and MEL...

Last edited by QF WP; Jun 23, 2004 at 12:53 am Reason: spelling mistake that made a rude word
Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:05 am

Programs: QF WP and Lifetime Silver; BA Gold
At the risk of offending what looks to be the consensus view on this matter, I am glad that the Australian Government is closing the premium express lanes.

I am more than happy for private companies (namely QF et al. - and indeed, I suppose, those airlines that are still owned by foreign governments) to offer differing service levels on what ever basis they see fit (naturally, in a way that is in keeping with all relevant discrimination laws etcetera).

However, I was always a little disturbed that a Government entity was offering differing levels of service based on the say so of a private company.

The "Australian Customs Service" is (supposed to be) exactly that - a (public) service. As such, I don't believe it should offer its services (however annoying, time consuming and tedious) any more quickly and smoothly to those on the basis of class of ticket held.

A person may hold a first class ticket and receive a nicer check-in, a nicer seat, nicer food, faster baggage and the like over and above what other people may, but I don't think that person should, as a consequence, be considered more favourably by Government agency staff (or, dare I say it, law enforcement officers) .

Whilst I have received such express services in the past - I will never forget last year being taken into a separate area at JFK with all the other Concorde passengers for supersonically fast customs processing - I think privileges for passengers are best left for airlines to doll out, rather than democratic governments.

I imagine there are countless other examples where this sort of thing goes on, but the less of it the better.

Bravo to the Australian Customs Service.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 2:02 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by da.....L
The "Australian Customs Service" is (supposed to be) exactly that - a (public) service. As such, I don't believe it should offer its services (however annoying, time consuming and tedious) any more quickly and smoothly to those on the basis of class of ticket held.

A person may hold a first class ticket and receive a nicer check-in, a nicer seat, nicer food, faster baggage and the like over and above what other people may, but I don't think that person should, as a consequence, be considered more favourably by Government agency staff (or, dare I say it, law enforcement officers) .

Whilst I have received such express services in the past - I will never forget last year being taken into a separate area at JFK with all the other Concorde passengers for supersonically fast customs processing - I think privileges for passengers are best left for airlines to doll out, rather than democratic governments.

I imagine there are countless other examples where this sort of thing goes on, but the less of it the better.

Bravo to the Australian Customs Service.

Thanks for your contribution, Comrade.

Guv'mint does enough already to try and drag everyone down to the drone level - we can do without this measure. As an elitist who only associates with other elitists (ie: those who want to be the best they can be, and then some, and don't want the filthy guv'mint pawing all over our business), I poo-poo this idea from a great height.

Way past time guv'mint was put back in its place - supporting this sort of nonsense is not the way to go about it.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 3:36 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
What the? I'm losing a benefit that I never actually had.

I've been WP for last three years, and whilst O/S travel has been infrequent (but at least annual) never had a "P" sticker, or used a P queue. In fact when I went to NZ a couple of weeks ago, didn't even notice a priority queue in either direction. Never really thought much of it either, as at MEL I've never had to wait more than a couple of minutes in the queue to get out, and as for getting back in 2-3 minutes as well .... even after LAX flight, always well in advance of the luggage arriving.

ps re above post. The taxes and charges collected on international tix are not insignificant, and I am sure that some (or all of these?) cover customs processing. So basically it is a user pays system, so why shouldn't the more frequent pax (most likely those to be a higher tier) get express treatments for their loyalty! Also frequent pax KNOW how to fill out the forms and can usually be processed quicker anyway, so probably take up less "public" resources anyway.

Last edited by lokijuh; Jun 23, 2004 at 3:44 am
Old Jun 23, 2004, 4:13 am
NM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by da.....L
At the risk of offending what looks to be the consensus view on this matter, I am glad that the Australian Government is closing the premium express lanes.

I am more than happy for private companies (namely QF et al. - and indeed, I suppose, those airlines that are still owned by foreign governments) to offer differing service levels on what ever basis they see fit (naturally, in a way that is in keeping with all relevant discrimination laws etcetera).

However, I was always a little disturbed that a Government entity was offering differing levels of service based on the say so of a private company.
I think you will find that it was the airlines that were actually paying the DIMIA for the "service". That is why is was only available to the premium customer of certain airlines - the airlines that were paying the government to provide the service to their customers.

In Brisbane, I think it was limited to Qantas, Air NZ and Singapore Airlines, but there may have been others as well. I don't know if they paid per customer that used it, per "Premium" sticker that was issued, or a flat fee per departing flight. But they paid directly to have the premium queue in place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.