Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Confusion redeeming Fly3/FlyFree Fly6/FlyFirst Certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2004, 5:51 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold

I received my certificate for a free economy ticket in March and my certificate for a free first class ticket a couple of weeks ago. I decided to book a round-trip for two in September, using the free first ticket for my partner and the free economy ticket (upgraded at a fee, as explained in the letter) for myself.

I called the 1P line and explained to the agent what I wanted to do. She said that the Fly3/FlyFree certificate could not be upgraded, and that the Fly6/FlyFirst certificate was good for an economy seat that could be upgraded. When I explained that the Fly6/FlyFirst ticket said that it was good for "a free roundtrip ticket on UA flights in UA First (NF), or UA Business (NC) in a three-cabin aircraft," she said that was not true. If I have learned one thing on FT, it is that when I run into this situation, end the conversation politely and call back.

I decided to call the number on the letter, hoping to find someone who would understand the T&C of the certificate. I was connected to an agent who was very helpful and understood the Fly6/FlyFirst certificate is good for an F or C ticket (based on aircraft configuration). However, after reading the T&C of the Fly3/FlyFree certificate, said that it could not be upgraded. I told her that I would have to re-think my plans for the weekend, because I wanted to be in the same cabin with my partner.

After thinking about it awhile, I realized I could use 40000 MP miles for one free C ticket and the Fly6/FlyFirst certificate for the other. I called the regular UA line again and told the agent what I wanted to do. She admitted that she did not understand the T&C of either certificate, and I agreed to hold while she discussed them with a supervisor.

When she returned, she told me that the Fly6 certificate IS good for a free C/F seat, and that the Fly3 certificate CAN be upgraded (for a fee), based on availability. She said that award seats were available on all flights that I wanted, and she would price them out and tell me what the fee for the upgrade was on the Fly3 ticket. However, she was unable to book or price them, and after checking with her supervisor again, discovered that the reason it would not work is because there was not S- or T-class availability on some of the flights.

As the T&C (and the front) of the Fly3 certificate clearly states, the free economy ticket is must be booked in S or T. However, the Fly6 ticket must also be booked in S or T, even though it is booked in the F or C cabin.

The lesson I learned: Not only must someone redeeming these certificates check to see if there is award inventory available in F or C on each flight, but there must also be availability in the S or T booking class on each flight as well.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That doesn't make much sense to me.

Seems like the FlyFirst ticket should be booked in NC/NF class. One thing to note is that on all other paid upgraded tickets, the customer is first booked in a revenue class, then when the upgrade is confirmed/or waitlist is cleared, that passenger is taken out of the revenue inventory and placed in NC/NF inventory. At this time, one seat is replenished in the revenue coach inventory bucket and one is removed from the NC/NF bucket. At no time will a customer hold two confirmed seats on any flight.

That said, it seems like the FlyFirst promotion simply requires NC/NF to be confirmable at time of booking, since there is no revenue booking class to book in to begin with.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 9:56 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
That doesn't make much sense to me.
Me either, but that's what I was told. I even confirmed with the agent that both the Fly3 and Fly6 tickets required availability in S or T in order to be booked. The same agent said that these were probably the most confusing certificates she had ever seen.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:30 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Unhappy Just be glad you HAVE your certificates...

I qualified by the end of March and still haven't gotten squat!!
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:36 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by g_leyser
I qualified by the end of March and still haven't gotten squat!!
Just got my first one, plus one that I apparently qualified for
in 4Q 2003 and totally forgot about. I think major patience
is required.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 6:54 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Well, as soon as I posted, I come home to find my Fly3 cert in the mail. The letter clearly states that the ticket can be upgraded, but the terms & conditions clearly state that it is not.

Guess you gotta go by what the cert. says, but that is some pretty misleading advertising.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:34 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Red face mixed message

This is the case indeed, as g_leyser notes.

The letter says:
Is space is available, you may have an opportunity to upgrade to the next class of service for a fee when making reservations for your travel
While the Cert T&Cs (and presumably the profile code) say:
12. Upgradeability: This free ticket is nonupgradeable.

Originally Posted by g_leyser
Guess you gotta go by what the cert. says, but that is some pretty misleading advertising.
We should write UA marketing about this so that they can update the profile and provide a vehicle to the agents to upgrade.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:43 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
When she returned, she told me that the Fly6 certificate IS good for a free C/F seat, and that the Fly3 certificate CAN be upgraded (for a fee), based on availability. She said that award seats were available on all flights that I wanted, and she would price them out and tell me what the fee for the upgrade was on the Fly3 ticket. However, she was unable to book or price them, and after checking with her supervisor again, discovered that the reason it would not work is because there was not S- or T-class availability on some of the flights.

As the T&C (and the front) of the Fly3 certificate clearly states, the free economy ticket is must be booked in S or T. However, the Fly6 ticket must also be booked in S or T, even though it is booked in the F or C cabin.

The lesson I learned: Not only must someone redeeming these certificates check to see if there is award inventory available in F or C on each flight, but there must also be availability in the S or T booking class on each flight as well.
After re-reading your post more carefully, I'm going to guess that the lack of S or T availability prevented you from booking the economy freebie, and therefore, the two tickets as a set. As UnitedSkies and others pointed out, the first freebie should book right into NC or NF.

Glad to hear, however, that they seem to have figured out the "upgrade for fee" aspect of the promo. Now I know I should call the number on the letter to make the reservation...
Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by WindFlyer
12. Upgradeability: This free ticket is nonupgradeable.
Perhaps UA meant nonupgradeable after ticketing with E-500 milers, HKs, or SWU....etc.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:55 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WindFlyer
After re-reading your post more carefully, I'm going to guess that the lack of S or T availability prevented you from booking the economy freebie, and therefore, the two tickets as a set. As UnitedSkies and others pointed out, the first freebie should book right into NC or NF.
I asked the agent if this affected only the Fly3/FlyFree availability, and she said that it affected the Fly6/FlyFirst availiability as well.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
They are slowly starting to show up on eBay. As in Real Estate, everything has a price.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP/MM
Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
. . . the Fly3 certificate CAN be upgraded (for a fee), based on availability.
Availability of what? Is there a fare bucket for "Upgrade for a fee"?

This at least seems to imply that there is a fee schedule somewhere. Anyone know what it is?
Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Napa
Availability of what? Is there a fare bucket for "Upgrade for a fee"?

This at least seems to imply that there is a fee schedule somewhere. Anyone know what it is?
See thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334378
Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP/MM
I saw that thread when I was searching for the answer to my question, but I don't think it provides the answer. The OP was able to buy the upgrade for a flight 3 months out.

So it seems that either (a) they are willing to sell every F seat via fee upgrade or (b) somewhere in the res system there are some number of sea ts available for "upgrade for a fee".

It also seems that either (a) some person individually figures out the upgrade fee for each flight, or (b) the res system calculates the fee based on some algorithm. I don't know how many flights UA allows upgrading for a fee, so I don't know how likely (a) is. If the answer is (b), it would be interesting to know what that algorithm is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.